Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2015, 11:56 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,903,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
I do not think that the crime rate is high in Russia. Economic crimes - yes. But in terms of robbery dwellings, robbery on the street, etc. level is quite low when compared to, for example, US. Russia have not ghetto. Absolutely. There is rich districts and poor districts, but police have access to any district.
Of course, situation was different 20 years ago.
The crime rate in Russia is almost identical to the USA's:Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

The homicide rate in Russia is double that in the USA:
Intentional homicides (per 100,000 people) | Data | Table

Last edited by Yac; 07-15-2015 at 07:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 12:44 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,228,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
The crime rate in Russia is almost identical to the USA's: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Thank you for an interesting statistic. So my feelings a little bit wrong.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:49 PM

23 posts, read 33,597 times
If I had to choose between living in a randomly selected city or town in either Finland or Russia, I'd choose Finland every single time.

Finland is a very safe and high developed country with modern amenities and infrastructure. I've been there and liked it a ton. On the other hand, Russia seems much more sketchy and it just seems to have more of a Wild West feel to it where anything goes. My Russian friends have told me that Russia can be a rough place with tons of corruption.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:02 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,526,584 times
Quote:
The first video is a joke, but it is very ironic.
Yeah I know it was a joke, but we both know how close to true thing this joke is)))

And speaking about jokes - I was laughing my head off reading this post in FB couple of days ago:

"Весь день половина моей ленты упражняется в проведении тонких дистинкций между геями и пидорами, рассуждениях о том, что так-то они не гомофобы, но только если геи не будут выпячивать, и подборе эпитетов для гомоимперии США. Все уроки заброшены, дети некормлены, сериалы несмотрены, игры неиграны, книги нечитаны, чо там у армян и хохлов – даже думать забыли, - в России есть дело поважнее: в Америке разрешили гей-браки! это угрожает нашей цивилизации! Ахтунг на наших рубежах!

Истинно говорю вам: день, когда русский человек сумеет не отреагировать на произнесенное рядом с ним слово «гей», - будет днем начала возрождения России."

("All day long half of my news feed on FB is devoted to a strenuous exercise of distincting "gays" from "****," that thin line between the two; reasoning how one wouldn't be so much against the homos, had they not being so pushy, and search for the right epithets for American homoempire. Home works are not done, children are unattended, new TV episodes are not watched, games are not played, books are not read, "what's up with Ukraine" doesn't incite any interest any longer - no, the whole of Russia is preoccupied with more important event; the legalization of gay marriages in the US! this is threatening our civilization! Achtung on our borders!

Verily I'm telling you; the day when a Russian will be able not to flinch hearing the word "gay," - will be the true beginning of rebirth of Russia." )

https://www.facebook.com/artem.ronda...59870160716420

Old 07-06-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
The crime rate in Russia is almost identical to the USA's: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

That doesn't come as a surprise, since it was an "American model" of "development" pushed on Russia twenty years ago, not a European one.
And with such huge gap between the rich and the poor, high crime rate is to be expected.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:25 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,806,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
As according to some misinformed individuals, these countries are "so similar", so why not take a vote on it?

1. Frendliness
2. Safety
3. Cultural contribution
4. Politics
5. Economy
6. Women/men
7. Environment
8. Scenery
9. Weather
10. Location
11. Sports
12. Cuisine
13. Transportation
14. Infrastructure
15. Healthcare
16. Education
17. Affordability
18. Pop culture
19. History
20. Architecture
21. Fun
22. Nightlife
23. Urban living
24. Freedom
25. Lifestyle

What do you think?
Not really comparable, other than the basic Euro centric style culture.

How a person views either one, or any country, depends on their socioeconomic status and priorities in life.

No doubt Finland is a much better place to live, better quality of life all around. I enjoy living in Russia, St. Pete is one of my favorite cities in the world, but St. Pete is unique in Russia, and when living there, I knew I was not stuck there nor economically dependent on living there either.

Just the healthcare alone puts Finland ahead, I would hate to need even a tooth repair in Russia, let alone serious medical procedures. As for entertainment, Finland is fun, Russia is fun, they are not exactly some lame dull place like Kentucky or anything.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Not really comparable, other than the basic Euro centric style culture.

How a person views either one, or any country, depends on their socioeconomic status and priorities in life.

No doubt Finland is a much better place to live, better quality of life all around. I enjoy living in Russia, St. Pete is one of my favorite cities in the world, but St. Pete is unique in Russia, and when living there, I knew I was not stuck there nor economically dependent on living there either.

Just the healthcare alone puts Finland ahead, I would hate to need even a tooth repair in Russia, let alone serious medical procedures. As for entertainment, Finland is fun, Russia is fun, they are not exactly some lame dull place like Kentucky or anything.
And with "optimization of healthcare" in Moscow ( don't know about St. Pet.) it's becoming a plain disaster.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:51 AM

1,398 posts, read 1,487,910 times
Quote:
Dictatorship, Putler, gulag, russian aggression, nazis... This is propaganda. Be careful, this can screw up your brain.

Yes, Russian government always follows the law. When they want to work illegally, they just change the laws.
But totally dictatorship... Of course not.

Of course this is a political game. But this is a not Finland's game. EU substitute a blow you. By the way, I hope that Russian government will not impose sanctions. This is not a way out.
Sorry it was CIA who told me that

Well here "governement" just doesn't change laws and do as they please. In proper democracy governement is equal to it's citizens

Because of these current sanctions finnish-russian trade is almost non-existent so it really doesn't matter.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
Sorry it was CIA who told me that

Well here "governement" just doesn't change laws and do as they please. In proper democracy governement is equal to it's citizens

Because of these current sanctions finnish-russian trade is almost non-existent so it really doesn't matter.
As I've said before - in "proper democracy" money are distributed among different parties, but in Russia American "economic advisers" made sure twenty years ago, that all the money would go into the hands of specific people, supporting American interests.
Now Putin is passing yet another law, announcing opposition ( i.e. people who WOULD LOVE to support other parties, other then "United Russia") illegal, when their organizations are funded from abroad. Ironically enough, the funding for opposing people/organizations is coming now from the US, that is frantically trying to organize an internal opposition in Russia, but to no avail.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:09 AM

1,398 posts, read 1,487,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
As I've said before - in "proper democracy" money are distributed among different parties, but in Russia American "economic advisers" made sure twenty years ago, that all the money would go into the hands of specific people, supporting American interests.
Now Putin is passing yet another law, announcing opposition ( i.e. people who WOULD LOVE to support other parties, other then "United Russia") illegal, when their organizations are funded from abroad. Ironically enough, the funding for opposing people/organizations is coming now from the US, that is frantically trying to organize an internal opposition in Russia, but to no avail.
In Finland you need to disclose all your funders so this couldn't happen. Trust me, press is going to try to find out every little detail

Also every party that has MPs gets a significant grant from the governement so private money wouldn't have too much power
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe