Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2014, 12:15 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserFinn View Post
It seems that you like to twist things until they are long, long away from orginal issue...I have told you that ALBUM of Nighwish has been second on the list at the GENRE of HARD ROCK, I have NOT TOLD that Nightwish dominates the whole music world of US so that even average person in US knows Nightwish.
Also I have told you that on same list Nickelback was first but I HAVE NOT TOLD to you that Nightwish have same popularity in US.
Dont put words to my mouth on this issue, note that every one can check what I have write concerning this issue.
I don't "twist" anything. I just don't understand how some band can be in the "second place" after the like of the Nickelback, yet Nickelback is so well-known, even until now, because it's so mainstream and it's played on the radio stations, while "Nightwish" is long forgotten ( that is even if it has been even remembered to begin with.) And it has got nothing to do with "country music" folks - they have their own radio stations, dedicated to just that.

Quote:
Sure I know that every country have own taste of music (Even inside of Europe) but you cant make this fact go away: There is bands and artists who are playing so universal music that they are having succes (More or less) on several coutries.
"So Universal" - that's the Beatles, that's the Rolling Stones. Not some "Nightwish." You can only wish.

Quote:
How russian band can loose domestic audience if they are sometimes using english, russians are built so that if they swicth language, they can not swicht back to the russian language?
One more time, slowly. Russian pop music can be very different. It can have the "Euro" feel to it, and it can rely on Russian folk/other traditions more heavily.
If the bands/singers do the Euro style ( at least part of their songs,) they can easily switch to English and still not lose their audience in Russia. Like, for example, TATU. They did target European audience ( heck, their song has been even played in the US) and with the type of music they play, it really doesn't matter much whether they'll sing in English or Russian.

Here is the example for you;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b23AjeRBXSU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HL-N9oOjcs

See, the change of the language doesn't make much difference in this case.

Or when Kirkorov ( who is quite popular in Russia) makes something in English, (or in any other language for this matter) again - it won't make him lose the Russian audience ( that he has plenty, and hence he is not interested in switching the language.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU0wkWYSR3Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHuZgbiVwT8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR1PSMzrbjQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHG1NZLVGzE

But then there are plenty of other singers/bands in Russia that have a very distinctive sound to their music, which will simply not fly anywhere else BUT Russia. (The same Leps or Meladze that Maksim has mentioned.) So why would they ever want to change their language, when even their music targets specific audience?

You can say the same about the French or Italians; part of their pop culture can be transferred into the wider European market, but part of it is unique to them. Ask the French whether they'd like to drop their language and turn away from music that they hold dear to their hearts, in order to "make it big" in the US. Or in England.
So what sounds like a "great accomplishment" to you ( as acceptance to a "club") might not have any particular value to someone else, because they are a "club" of their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Ok, you saw the band and now we just need to know:How their albums are selling on US-markets?
Just give cold facts and numbers.
What "cold facts and numbers?"
Why would Americans want to listen anything like that? How is it relevant to them? ( The only reason I've heard this band in the US was because they were part of the cultural exchange during the Goodwill Games.) The sound of American bands is irrelevant to Russians in the same manner. This kind of music is not particularly popular over there.

Europeans, however, are still listening to Garik Sukachev. Well kinda.
Does it sound "Western" enough to you? (It should, apparently, because I've heard it gazillion times on my internet radio. (Just in case you are not aware of it, "Western music" doesn't consist exclusively of the metal bands)))) )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QEPrDBMqJ0

Well Sukachev simply gifted it to the Westerners.

He is already old and he knows that his (original) Russian version will always find its way to Russians, he already knows that his place in Russian hearts is secure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW4Hn2rkLY8

So it's not that Russian artists don't know what Western audience would like to hear ( what would be popular there.) Part of Russia will be always tuned to Europe and quite transcendent to "things European." But Russians will never give up their identity; they will fight for it fiercely.

Quote:
I must say, this "Can not loved by own peoples" sounds romantic crap what dont have anything to do with real world.
You mean it has nothing to do with YOUR world, because it's obviously not the same as the "real world."

Quote:
If this is even partly true, now I undestand even better that in future Russia will go back to 1800-century when at same time other world is going forward.
In a way this is correct, because Russia is actually the last bastion of the Old Europe, where the poets and intellectuals still matter, even though an attempt to destroy it all has been made within the last twenty years. Part of the Old Europe is already submitted under the idea of money-making machine and transnational corporations, with its culture substituted with "feel-good-universal-appeal" kind of music, and yes - same cookie cutter has been pushed upon Russia back in the nineties. But Russian soul is still alive and well, resisting the pressure of the production line, pressure from this cookie cutter that strives to kill what's different in Russians, conforming them to the "culture of the Universal appeal." ( Russians even have a special word for it - "общечеловеки." And at the end they are right. With all their craziness and dark side of their culture, I bet they'll come out victorious yet again. For a simple reason that spiritual is stronger than material. The Old Europe was spiritual, the "new Universal culture" is very much material. It's that simple.

Quote:
It is quite clear that this same kind of thinking like seeing just enemies around the Russia and these enemies just want concord mother Russia
Result for this way of thinking is that Russia will be in future like North-Korea.
Whatever you say. As long as it won't turn into something as irrelevant as Finland))))

Last edited by erasure; 12-13-2014 at 01:26 PM..

Old 12-13-2014, 01:50 PM

1,100 posts, read 1,215,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I don't "twist" anything. I just don't understand how some band can be in the "second place" after the like of the Nickelback, yet Nickelback is so well-known, even until now, because it's so mainstream and it's played on the radio stations, while "Nightwish" is long forgotten ( that is even if it has been even remembered to begin with.) And it has got nothing to do with "country music" folks - they have their own radio stations, dedicated to just that.

"So Universal" - that's the Beatles, that's the Rolling Stones. Not some "Nightwish." You can only wish.

One more time, slowly. Russian pop music can be very different. It can have the "Euro" feel to it, and it can rely on Russian folk/other traditions more heavily.
If the bands/singers do the Euro style ( at least part of their songs,) they can easily switch to English and still not lose their audience in Russia. Like, for example, TATU. They did target European audience ( heck, their song has been even played in the US) and with the type of music they play, it really doesn't matter much whether they'll sing in English or Russian.

Gosh...How this can be so difficult?
I try again, once more...TOP 100 list in all music, Nickelback number 1 and Nightwish number 27.
Then, in music business, lists are also done from each genre, example country, blues, rap, rock,hard rock, metal, etc, etc.
And on list of hard rock, Nickelback (It is hard rock band) were still number one and Nightwish were number two.
So, do you undestand? HARD ROCK LIST...H-A-R-D R-O-C-K L-I-S-T
Not in example on blues list because Nightwish is not playing blues and not on country list because Nightwish is not playing country.
These list of different genres are separated from one big playing list, do you undestand?
Also, concerning radio stations, there is radio stations for all genres and then there is stations for each genres or just for few genres...And I can sure you that if you dig example country station, you can not here Nightwish from there...And not even Nickelback.

I have not compared Nightwish to the Beatles or to the Rolling-Stones, not even mentioned these great bands
I wrote generally that several bands have found universal sound that is selling on several countries....And issue was differences of music taste between US and Europe.
Please learn to read words as written, not your imagenation.
You are taking words from around my writing and then cooking word-soup...

Concerning russian bands in US, then when you have some fact to show how great succes they have got there, lets return to this issue.
If you can not give any data concerning this issue, this is waste of time, to read and answer.

Finally, "Forgotten" Nighwish is having 2015 tour in US, here is tour dates and places.
Dont you think that there is too many (32) gigs and too big concert stages for "Forgotten" band?
Nightwish - The Official Website
Managers and other professionals around the tour must be stupid or something, they like to burn dollars with forgotten band?

Old 12-13-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Whatever you say. As long as it won't turn into something as irrelevant as Finland))))
Its allways better be irrelevant than country with mad leader, playing with nuclear weapons and with big risk for world peace.

You should learn korean lanquage, so that you can communicate with your future friends and show respect to the your other loved leader, Kim Jong Un....And who knows, maybe there will be some musical projects between Russia and North-Korea

Old 12-13-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:

Gosh...How this can be so difficult?
I try again, once more...TOP 100 list in all music, Nickelback number 1 and Nightwish number 27.
Ahhh... Number 27. My bad. I thought it was number 2.
That explains a lot.

Quote:
Finally, "Forgotten" Nighwish is having 2015 tour in US, here is tour dates and places.
Dont you think that there is too many (32) gigs and too big concert stages for "Forgotten" band?
Nightwish - The Official Website
Managers and other professionals around the tour must be stupid or something, they like to burn dollars with forgotten band?
You'd be surprised how much junk sells here in the US, so this shouldn't be anything out of the ordinary.

P.S.
Quote:
And I can sure you that if you dig example country station, you can not here Nightwish from there...And not even Nickelback.
No you can't, but then again you are the one who brought country music into the conversation to begin with and for no good reason.

Old 12-13-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Its allways better be irrelevant than country with mad leader, playing with nuclear weapons and with big risk for world peace.
See? It's all a matter of personal preference.

Quote:
You should learn korean lanquage, so that you can communicate with your future friends and show respect to the your other loved leader, Kim Jong Un....And who knows, maybe there will be some musical projects between Russia and North-Korea
Sure, I'll start learning Korean, but only after Americans will start learning Finnish en mass, as a gratitude for the immense cultural contribution of the great "Nightwish."

Last edited by erasure; 12-13-2014 at 05:15 PM..

Old 12-13-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Ahhh... Number 27. My bad. I thought it was number 2.
That explains a lot.

You'd be surprised how much junk sells here in the US, so this shouldn't be anything out of the ordinary.

P.S.

No you can't, but then again you are the one who brought country music into the conversation to begin with and for no good reason.
So this shows how carefully you are reading messages...

If junk sells in US, then there should be great markets for russian bands

I brought country music to the conversation as an example of one genre, just check what I wrote....But sure you dont check, that I have learn several times.

Old 12-13-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
So this shows how carefully you are reading messages...
Your messages?
Not very carefully I must admit.

Quote:
If junk sells in US, then there should be great markets for russian bands
There is no market for something that's not for sale.
Even in America. Capisce?

Last edited by erasure; 12-13-2014 at 05:16 PM..

Old 12-17-2014, 01:00 PM

18 posts, read 16,553 times
Oh, this eternal Russian-Finnish dispute. Not this **** again.
Talking about pop culture, i think that makes no sense, because, well, pop culture = crap culture. So i don't think making more popular crap than other country's crap is something that you must be proud of.

Good Finnish music:

500 kg lihaa - Pallokentällä - YouTube

Good Russian music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C6LGUD9_MY

Old 12-17-2014, 01:55 PM

[quote=Ambience_Ed;37675260]Oh, this eternal Russian-Finnish dispute. Not this **** again.

Well, pop culture may be crap or not but what about this.
Venäjällä taas skandaali Suomen lastensuojelusta
Link is to finnish newspaper so here is short translation:
Russian Pavel Astahov says (On more than 100 newspapers + states official TV-Channel) that
finnish social workers had again confiscated russian child from his parents and done this
with feeding drugs to this child...And after that child was given to german couple.
Reason for this confiscate (According Pavel Astahov) was that childs russian mother was lovin her child too much...and now child is on danger of death, as an extra bonus

This is not first time when fairy tales, concenrning Finland and russian peoples living here, are told at russian TV and newspapers.
My question is:
Do you really believe that this is true and if you dont think that it is true, dont you think that your leaders are pointing that russian citizens are so stupid that they can buy anything, even zombie stories?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe