Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 02:11 AM

647 posts, read 798,202 times

Advertisements

1. Frendliness: Finland
2. Safety: Finland
3. Cultural contribution: Russia
4. Politics: Finland
5. Economy: Finland
6. Women/men: Russia
7. Environment: Finland
8. Scenery: Russia
9. Weather: Russia
10. Location: Russia
11. Sports: Russia
12. Cuisine: Russia
13. Transportation: Finland
14. Infrastructure: Finland
15. Healthcare: Finland
16. Education: Finland
17. Affordability: Finland
18. Pop culture: Russia
19. History: Russia
20. Architecture: Russia
21. Fun: ...
22. Nightlife: ...
23. Urban living: Finland
24. Freedom: Finland
25. Lifestyle: Finland

I'm a Russian and I can't compare fun and nightlife of these countries, because I never been in Finland, but Russia is pretty boring place for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 03:46 AM

1,100 posts, read 1,217,158 times

18. Pop culture-Russia

Finland is one of the most boring and irrelevant countries in Europe imo.[/quote]

Well yes, boring = safety.
Its really boring live in country were is not "No go zones" and were peoples are generally most honest to each others and were is not corruption on daily life....

Pop culture-Russia
This is a joke
Were is russian rock-bands, great guitarists, famous singers...Founding them is like like seeking life from Mars, no signs...
Here is some data:
Map of heavy metal bands by country.

This is not music thread but lets have something from finnish pop culture, as an example:

Nightwish "I Wish I Had An Angel" with lyrics ( Tarja's finale with Nightwish ) - YouTube

Old 12-01-2014, 03:58 AM

847 posts, read 1,181,318 times
Finns achieved a lot in economics and education, but... I haven't been to Finland, and I guess I'd rather visit Rome or Florence again.

And Russia? Well, it's comfortable for me... I was born here. Can't be objective.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:40 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,251,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserFinn View Post
Were is russian rock-bands, great guitarists, famous singers...
School of classical music is well developed in Russian. Any child can get a free music education (many free music schools). The most talented people go into classical music, rock music - it's more of a hobby for teenagers. In addition, the Russian lyrics valued much more music, so the most famous Russian guitarist - it is Vysotsky. But I think that his creativity may seem boring to you.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:30 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,251,236 times
Of course, there are also rock:

But rock band are singing in Russian, so they are little known in the world.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:40 PM

26,832 posts, read 22,611,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
School of classical music is well developed in Russian. Any child can get a free music education (many free music schools). The most talented people go into classical music, rock music - it's more of a hobby for teenagers. In addition, the Russian lyrics valued much more music, so the most famous Russian guitarist - it is Vysotsky. But I think that his creativity may seem boring to you.

Vysotsky is for domestic consumption only. Foreigners wouldn't be able to appreciate him or to relate to this kind of music, like they wouldn't be able to relate say to certain things on French cultural scene.
In fact that particular genre ( bards?) came to Russia most likely from France back in...18th century?

Old 12-03-2014, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserFinn View Post

18. Pop culture-Russia

Finland is one of the most boring and irrelevant countries in Europe imo.

Well yes, boring = safety.
Its really boring live in country were is not "No go zones" and were peoples are generally most honest to each others and were is not corruption on daily life....

Pop culture-Russia
This is a joke
Were is russian rock-bands, great guitarists, famous singers...Founding them is like like seeking life from Mars, no signs...
Here is some data:bns
Map of heavy metal bands by country.

This is not music thread but lets have something from finnish pop culture, as an example:

Nightwish "I Wish I Had An Angel" with lyrics ( Tarja's finale with Nightwish ) - YouTube

I looked at the link of the article that you've posted and I see that Scandinavia is big on metal bands.
However metal bands is not everything that defines "pop culture" or makes it "interesting."
So keeping this in mind, I'll say that heavy metal bands are in Russia all right and they have their own audience, it's just they don't have such big market share as it is in Scandinavia. Not only that, but in your Finnish sample for example the musicians are appealing to "international audience," mixing Finnish and English, while any Russian band that wants to make it big in Russia HAS to come up with decent lyrics, and "love and poison" kind of stuff that can be easily transferred into English will simply not do. And that makes Russian heavy metal bands unique to their own market and not "marketable" internationally. So they are not well-known abroad except for to those who are looking into foreign metal bands and does a research. So if you are interested, here is the sound of Russian metal bands

The Master.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXooFazd8yg

(same band, more recent concert)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbUKbO8a8DY

The King and the Jester.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cSI...dex=32&list=WL

These are the samples of different bands for "domestic consumption."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xdw4...st=WL&index=30

and these are the bands that probably marketed themselves internationally?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4-wLgm1aPs

( I have no idea who these people are, except for the # 2. He happened to be my next door neighbor and I know that many years ago he was touring Germany with #4, so they had to come up with something in English I suppose)))

Old 12-04-2014, 12:04 AM

But... when people vote for Russian pop-culture, they probably don't think in terms of heavy metal bands, but rather more within these lines;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqEnGKFaMOE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PNE21Ac9lc

Old 12-04-2014, 12:54 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,990,865 times
Never been there but based on my research and meeting people from those countries here is my choices

1. Frendliness: Finland
2. Safety: Finland
3. Cultural contribution: Russia
4. Politics: Finland
5. Economy: Finland
6. Women/men: Finland
7. Environment: Finland
8. Scenery:Russia
9. Weather: Russia
10. Location: Russia
11. Sports: Russia
12. Cuisine: Russia
13. Transportation: Finland
14. Infrastructure: Finland
15. Healthcare: Finland
16. Education: Finland
17. Affordability: Finland
18. Pop culture: Russia
19. History: Russia
20. Architecture: Russia
21. Fun: Finland
22. Nightlife: Russia
23. Urban living: Finland
24. Freedom: Finland
25. Lifestyle: Finland

Old 12-04-2014, 12:58 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,032,159 times
that's not fair comparison - finland is like 5 million or less people while russia is 140 million. Moskva alone has two times more people than finland...i mean you can't compare easily culture or even history in cases like that.

But anyway: usually russia wins in this case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe