Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 11:30 PM

456 posts, read 834,180 times

Advertisements

What opinion, impression, or stereotype you have about the country of Armenia?

Armenia is a small, landlocked country on the border of Europe and Asia, with an ancient Christian culture, but tumultuous history.

Some political facts about Armenia:
  • Armenia was part of the Soviet Union, and gained independence in 1991.
  • Armenia's borders with Turkey and Azerbaijan remained closed and ties strained due to the Armenian Genocide and the conflict with Azerbaijan over Nagorno-Karabakh, a historically Armenian region that was ceded to Azerbaijan by Stalin.
  • Armenia hosts a Russian military base and is part of the Russian led Collective Security Treaty Organization
  • Armenia is part of the Council of Europe and holds close political and economic relations with the EU. It has reformed its governance and economic sectors to be in line with EU standards. As a result Armenia is ranked as one of the freest countries in the region, in terms of political and media freedoms, democracy, and economic freedoms. Civil society and Western NGOs are very active in Armenia.
  • Armenia is a partner of NATO and has sent troops to both Afghanistan and Iraq to help NATO/Allied forces fighting there. Armenia is assisted by NATO reforms and also cooperates with US on defense ties.
  • Armenia will be joining the upcoming Eurasian Economic Union.

FLAG OF ARMENIA:

COAT OF ARMS

LOCATION OF ARMENIA

PRESIDENT OF ARMENIA, SERZH SARGSYAN

PRIME MINISTER OF ARMENIA, HOVIK ABRAHAMYAN

FORMER PRESIDENT, ROBERT KOCHARYAN

CATHOLICOS OF ALL ARMENIANS, KAREGIN II

LEVON ARONYAN, ONE OF THE BEST CHESSPLAYERS IN WORLD

YEREVAN, CAPITAL OF ARMENIA

ARMENIAN LETTERS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 02:25 AM

659 posts, read 941,467 times
My opinion? I'll have to sit down with my father one day and squeeze out more information from him. I have an Armenian last name. Thing is, Dad was born in Romania but he's ethnically Armenian. My paternal Grandmother and her parents likely resided or fled to Turkey after the Armenian genocide, I don't know which just that she was born in Turkey to Armenian parents.

Paternal Grandfather, well my Dad's wishy washy about him, for the longest time growing up he said that my paternal grandfather was born in Athens, Greece. Then just last year he divulged that he was born in Cyprus instead, and had to change his last name to an Armenian last name (instead of a Greek-ish last name) in order to appease his future in-laws and marry my paternal grandmother. Why he never changed his last name back after his in-laws died I never understood, my guess is he got too used to it and out of love to his wife never went back.

Not even sure if paternal grandfather was ethnically Armenian, but I know for a fact that grandma was. Dad even went to a special Armenian private school until the age of 10 in Romania, so he didn't know the Romanian language until after the age of 10.

Either way, I need to know more about that side of the family and that side of my heritage before my father passes away. I can't go through life only knowing my mom's side, and fake last name or not, I like my Armenian last name

Old 12-20-2014, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabiya View Post
My opinion? I'll have to sit down with my father one day and squeeze out more information from him. I have an Armenian last name. Thing is, Dad was born in Romania but he's ethnically Armenian. My paternal Grandmother and her parents likely resided or fled to Turkey after the Armenian genocide, I don't know which just that she was born in Turkey to Armenian parents.

Paternal Grandfather, well my Dad's wishy washy about him, for the longest time growing up he said that my paternal grandfather was born in Athens, Greece. Then just last year he divulged that he was born in Cyprus instead, and had to change his last name to an Armenian last name (instead of a Greek-ish last name) in order to appease his future in-laws and marry my paternal grandmother. Why he never changed his last name back after his in-laws died I never understood, my guess is he got too used to it and out of love to his wife never went back.

Not even sure if paternal grandfather was ethnically Armenian, but I know for a fact that grandma was. Dad even went to a special Armenian private school until the age of 10 in Romania, so he didn't know the Romanian language until after the age of 10.

Either way, I need to know more about that side of the family and that side of my heritage before my father passes away. I can't go through life only knowing my mom's side, and fake last name or not, I like my Armenian last name
Well there are a good amount of people with some Armenian ancestry in your position. What heritage was your mother?

Old 12-20-2014, 04:17 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,840,231 times
No opinion. Couldn't really care less.

Old 12-20-2014, 04:36 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,351,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
No opinion. Couldn't really care less.
Quite sadly, that's pretty much the case with me as well... The only time when Armenia is brought up is when people talk about Turkey.

Old 12-20-2014, 04:41 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,840,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Quite sadly, that's pretty much the case with me as well... The only time when Armenia is brought up is when people talk about Turkey.
Not many Armenians here to remind of the genocide. I'm not asking the Turks about it.

Old 12-20-2014, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Given you are from Vienna, you may know about the Mechitarists: Mechitarists - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mekhitarist Monastery of Vienna - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
The history of Armenians in Austria dates back to the time of Vienna's liberation from the Turkish siege at the end of the 17th century, when several Armenian merchants found a new market in the Habsburg empire.

In fact, the city's characteristic coffee culture was established and run for a long time in its early decades by Armenian merchants. The very first documented coffee house in Vienna was opened on 17 January 1685, by Johannes Deodat (or Diodato, known in Armenian as Owanes Astouatzatur - Յովհաննէս Աստուածատուր - some sources claiming him to be Greek).[2][3][4]

In 1775, Maria Theresa gave official permission to the Mechitarist Congregation of the Armenian Catholic Church to settle in the Habsburg Empire. The Mekhitarian congregation in Vienna contributed to the spread of Armenian culture in central Europe through its printing, its library and its college for Armenian boys.

The very active, well organized Armenians of the Ottoman province of Suczawa (Bukowina, today a part of the Ukraine) were annexed by the Austrian Empire and Armenians automatically became citizens of the Empire.

In the beginning of the 19th century, the Austrian Armenians enjoyed officially recognized status as an autonomous religious community. The Armenian community in Vienna grew constantly, so that already in 1896 the first efforts were made to found an Armenian-Apostolic community. In 1912 a small chapel was established in Vienna. The First World War and its aftermath transformed the Austrian Armenian community: the area of the Bukowina Armenians was lost during the war, but a wave of immigrants came to Austria as a result of the Armenian Genocide perpetrated by the Ottoman Turks in 1915.

After the appointment of the first Armenian pastor in Vienna in the 1920s, the number of Armenians in Austria continued to grow, also boosted by refugees from Lebanon, Syria, Iraq, Iran, as well as migrant Armenian workers from Turkey and more recently from the Republic of Armenia.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:25 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,351,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antequera View Post
Yep, their church is literally across the street from my place. Intriguing history.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:38 AM

251 posts, read 396,953 times
Pretty boring country.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:47 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,031,404 times
I know that's where Kim Kardashian is from and i know they're somewhere close to turkey but that's about it. sadly can't even name their capital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe