Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 05:52 AM

123 posts, read 185,171 times

Advertisements

Hotfordammer Never heard this variation before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 03:02 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martijn.D. View Post
I'm quite curious why you are so concerned on physical characteristics?

My guess is that any caucausian American can pass as Dutch in the Netherlands, based on physical characteristics. It's the way you dress and behave that sets you apart from the majority. In another thread i saw, you will be working in Amsterdam. Note that the inhabitants of Amsterdam consists of 180 different nationalities. In addition, about 15 million tourist visit Amsterdam anually. Even if you are Dutch and match the stereotypes, hardly anyone will notice it.
Finally a sensible post! :-)

Old 12-30-2014, 01:40 AM
mym

706 posts, read 1,170,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erka View Post
Hotfordammer Never heard this variation before.
From now on, everytime i see a beautiful ducth woman in Amsterdam, i will be singing in my head,"i got it bad, i got it bad, i got it bad - im hotfordammer" to the tune of Van Halen's hot for teacher

Old 12-30-2014, 01:48 AM

2,467 posts, read 2,620,160 times
Like a freak!!!

Old 12-30-2014, 09:25 AM

10,639 posts, read 16,019,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mym View Post
From now on, everytime i see a beautiful ducth woman in Amsterdam, i will be singing in my head,"i got it bad, i got it bad, i got it bad - im hotfordammer" to the tune of Van Halen's hot for teacher
I think with "hotfordammer" he means Godverdomme which translates God damn it.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:32 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netheramerican View Post
I recently got an offer to work in the Netherlands, and considering what an amazing offer it is for a recent college grad, I couldn't turn it down. I already speak a decent amount of Dutch from hours of practice every day this past month, but I'm wondering if I'll look out of place, since I've heard that Dutchmen are all blond, blue-eyed, and tall. Will I look out of place if I have light brown eyes, medium brown hair, and I'm only 6'1 (1.85m)? Thanks!
Insecure, much?

There are way too many insecure people going to Europe these days that post on this forum. You'll all be fine.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:05 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,838,320 times
they are going to say, OMG AN AMERICAN GIVE ME AN AUTOGRAPH, I WANNA MARRY YOU!!! AND THEN THE DUTCH ARE GONNA RUN AFTER YOU AND SEE YOU LIKE A GOD BECAUSE YOU ARE AN AMERICAN.

REALITY:
amsterdam is a mlticultural city PACKED with millions of foreigners, immigrants from all over europe, and the world... NO ONE is going to take notice of you being american and NO ONE will care about you having brown hair... you will be just another face in the mosaic of multicultural masses, and you will be the 500th american they see that day.

people are too busy livng their lives to care about an american guy with brown hair in the netherlands

Old 01-03-2015, 09:09 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,838,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Insecure, much?

There are way too many insecure people going to Europe these days that post on this forum. You'll all be fine.
I know an american girl asking me that she was blonde and she was going to colombia... I told her people will look at her and think "tourist"and then move on with their lives....
she went and told me no one even looked at her

I dont understand this concept some americans have about them having certain physical features and the correlation such thing has with the world.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:32 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
I know an american girl asking me that she was blonde and she was going to colombia... I told her people will look at her and think "tourist"and then move on with their lives....
she went and told me no one even looked at her

I dont understand this concept some americans have about them having certain physical features and the correlation such thing has with the world.
Americans are very isolated over there, in North America. No contact with Europe. Latin America seems far away, and like a scary place. Until they finally do some international travel, they have no idea what ordinary life is like out in the world. Everything seems exotic to them. Except Canada, lol.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:14 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,421,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netheramerican View Post
I recently got an offer to work in the Netherlands, and considering what an amazing offer it is for a recent college grad, I couldn't turn it down. I already speak a decent amount of Dutch from hours of practice every day this past month, but I'm wondering if I'll look out of place, since I've heard that Dutchmen are all blond, blue-eyed, and tall. Will I look out of place if I have light brown eyes, medium brown hair, and I'm only 6'1 (1.85m)? Thanks!
You'll do O.K. Not all Dutch people have blonde hair and blue eyes, and you'll be average in height not short. Most white Dutch adults have actually brown hair not blonde, but blondes are more numerous among the youth and kids. There are dark-haired Dutch people too like Overmars and the actress Famke, you know. There also plenty of people of immigrant descent also living in the Netherlands, from all over the world and the Dutch are friendly, so many people are fluent in the English language. It would be easy to make friends. I am American who has lived in the Netherlands, Belgium and France, never had a problem with them. I am however stocky, 6'5 (197cm), bluish-green eyes, red hair and I was usually mistaken for someone from the British Isles. So all you need is perhaps confidence, good luck!

Last edited by Rozenn; 01-05-2015 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: Formatting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe