Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2015, 11:08 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
You clearly are not reading my comments earnestly and are disingenuous in your replies.
Regardless, You said:
“they are not allowed to bring them to or use them for their day job.”
You’re clearly wrong, as I have demonstrated. In Switzerland, one is able to have a concealed weapon after demonstrating a “need” and obtaining proper permits and training; one can even take said weapon into their business, once they demonstrate a need. This is similar to Concealed Carry laws and licenses in the United States.

enough.
Soldiers are only allowed to keep their weapons at their homes or at the military base. Of course they are allowed to bring them to/from their homes/military base. They have to store them safely inside their homes/military base. They are not allowed to store them anywhere else or carry them around outside of active duty.

Yes, in Switzerland you are allowed to carry a gun. AFTER GETTING A LICENSE. When you got a license, it doesn't matter whether it's concealed or not.

That Time Magazine article claims:

- Sharpshooting is a common recreational activity: It's not.
- Nobody bats an eye at the sight of a civilian riding a bus, bike or motorcycle to the shooting range, with a rifle slung across the shoulder: They sure would. Soldiers with guns slung around their shoulders are a common sight, though.
- Swiss do have an unconditional right to own and carry a gun like they claim in that article: Certainly not.

The reason why there isn't that much gun related violence in Switzerland is not liberal gun legislation which get's interpreted by you and the article as an act of loving guns.
The real reason is that most/all people owning a gun had formal military/safety training and a background check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 11:48 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Soldiers are only allowed to keep their weapons at their homes or at the military base. Of course they are allowed to bring them to/from their homes/military base. They have to store them safely inside their homes/military base. They are not allowed to store them anywhere else or carry them around outside of active duty.

Yes, in Switzerland you are allowed to carry a gun. AFTER GETTING A LICENSE. When you got a license, it doesn't matter whether it's concealed or not.

That Time Magazine article claims:

- Sharpshooting is a common recreational activity: It's not.
- Nobody bats an eye at the sight of a civilian riding a bus, bike or motorcycle to the shooting range, with a rifle slung across the shoulder: They sure would. Soldiers with guns slung around their shoulders are a common sight, though.
- Swiss do have an unconditional right to own and carry a gun like they claim in that article: Certainly not.

The reason why there isn't that much gun related violence in Switzerland is not liberal gun legislation which get's interpreted by you and the article as an act of loving guns.
The real reason is that most/all people owning a gun had formal military/safety training and a background check.
who said anything about soldiers? you are backpedaling and going back several posts to the Time article you already debunked. I have since then provided all the points to back up what I said.

Contrary to what you think, you can't walk into a store and buy any type of gun in the US, either.

ETA: according to gunpolicy.org there are 3.4 million firearms owned by PRIVATE citizens in Switzerland. Given the population size there, it is my opinion that firearm ownership is highly regarded. This is also evidenced by the recent vote that I provided in my previous comment (they refused to pass a law restricting ownership of firearms). The Swiss have a different culture than the rest of Europe and regard individual freedoms MUCH higher than other European cultures, as evidenced by their canton structure, monetary policy and protecting the Swiss Franc and not becoming a full member in the EU.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:53 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,187,699 times
Quote:
The same could be said for Americans who (legally) own guns.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
The same could be said for Americans who (legally) own guns.
What's the percentage of male Americans that enjoyed military training? Can't be that high.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
ETA: according to gunpolicy.org there are 3.4 million firearms owned by PRIVATE citizens in Switzerland. Given the population size there, it is my opinion that firearm ownership is highly regarded. This is also evidenced by the recent vote that I provided in my previous comment (they refused to pass a law restricting ownership of firearms). The Swiss have a different culture than the rest of Europe and regard individual freedoms MUCH higher than other European cultures, as evidenced by their canton structure, monetary policy and protecting the Swiss Franc and not becoming a full member in the EU.
After you turn mid-thirtyish and leave the Miliz you are allowed/were obliged to keep your weapon. Apparently you aren't aware what the Swiss Miliz/militia is. It's the main reason I talk about soldiers.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
What's the percentage of male Americans that enjoyed military training? Can't be that high.
It's about 25%.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
It's about 25%.
Sounds a bit high for a country without conscription.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Sounds a bit high for a country without conscription.
http://www.gallup.com/poll/158729/me...-veterans.aspx

We currently have more than 2 million people in uniform, and that's down quite a bit from previous decades.

I'm a vet and so are a good percentage of my friends. I'd imagine that the number of U.S. veterans dwarfs the entire population of Switzerland by 2 or 3 times.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:28 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
After you turn mid-thirtyish and leave the Miliz you are allowed/were obliged to keep your weapon. Apparently you aren't aware what the Swiss Miliz/militia is. It's the main reason I talk about soldiers.
In Switzerland, most of the weapons kept in homes are either military or ex-military. And it isn't about self-defence but rather about national security policy. The rationale is wholly different to that of the USA where gun ownership is more about constitutional rights and self-defence than anything else. All young men must do military service or pay an extra tax if they manage to get excused. As part of that service they are issued with a gun which they keep at home. Furthermore, most soldiers no longer keep ammunition at home. That has coincided with a decrease in gun violence and a dramatic decrease in gun-related suicides

Old 01-09-2015, 12:32 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
In U.S., 24% of Men, 2% of Women Are Veterans

We currently have more than 2 million people in uniform, and that's down quite a bit from previous decades.

I'm a vet and so are a good percentage of my friends. I'd imagine that the number of U.S. veterans dwarfs the entire population of Switzerland by 2 or 3 times.
According to the US census, the number of veterans in the USA is 19.6 million which is 6.4% of the US population. Obviously that number is much higher than the population of Switzerland. However, the percentage of the Swiss population - due to compulsory service - that has military training will be much higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe