Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 12:14 PM

1,704 posts, read 1,841,742 times

Advertisements

Big NO!
Police should always be equipped with guns though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 12:25 PM

61 posts, read 68,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuuKulgur View Post
Big NO!
Police should always be equipped with guns though.
Yes, but if the police is far away ?

I once saw in a little (conservative, to say the least !) town of Colorado a funny sign :

"I'd rather have a gun in my hand than a cop on the phone".

Old 01-07-2015, 12:33 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,354,239 times
If I'd really worry that some nut jobs raid my office I'd install a panic room and/or hire security personnel.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:34 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,525,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessplayer View Post
Yes, but if the police is far away ?

I once saw in a little (conservative, to say the least !) town of Colorado a funny sign :

"I'd rather have a gun in my hand than a cop on the phone".
or

"I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried out by 6"

Old 01-07-2015, 12:35 PM

194 posts, read 423,815 times
Just because you own a gun does not mean you can deffend yourself or others when an event such as the one from today happpens. Training in a shooting range and actually shooting a human being to deffend yourself are very different things.
If you are facing an armed fanatic (religious or otherwise) or a mentally deranged person the fact that you own or not a gun will make very little difference in your chance of survival.
As a teenager I trained and competed in shooting events, spent years in the shooting range, later was in the military forces. I can say I am quite familiar with a variety of weapons and have higher than average marksmanship skills. I am always surprised to hear how confident some people who never in their life were in live fire that if they had a gun they can manage to neutralize an aggressor.

Last edited by kent2780; 01-07-2015 at 12:45 PM..

Old 01-07-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent2780 View Post
Just because you own a gun does not mean you can deffend yourself or others when an event such as the one from today happpens. Training in a shooting range and actually shooting a human being to deffend yourself are very different things.
If you are facing an armed fanatic (religious or otherwise) or a mentally deranged person the fact that you own or not a gun will make very little difference in your chance of survival.
Nope, it sure doesn't guarantee anything. But it may increase your odds.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:38 PM

221 posts, read 343,950 times
The main problem with guns is that they tend to create more problems than they solve. Imagine all those everyday incidents where you have accidently dropped your cellphone and replace that with a loaded weapon. Given I was a journalist under threat, chances are I would have killed myself by accident long before the terrorists got to me. Arming ordinary people with guns would be a disaster for security. I just read about a 2-year old killing the mother in America. The more armed people, the more deaths and injuries.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakral View Post
The main problem with guns is that they tend to create more problems than they solve. Imagine all those everyday incidents where you have accidently dropped your cellphone and replace that with a loaded weapon. Given I was a journalist under threat, chances are I would have killed myself by accident long before the terrorists got to me. Arming ordinary people with guns would be a disaster for security. I just read about a 2-year old killing the mother in America. The more armed people, the more deaths and injuries.
I think the main problem with guns is that people tend to make up statistics and assert their opinions more than they're actually interested in learning about them.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:45 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,534,901 times
If a crazy man is about to shoot me i would most likely have no time to pull out my gun, load it, switch the safety off and shoot him (while going through all the adrenaline).

What is sickening is the prejudice and dividing fellow humans over their religion.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:45 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,354,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
I think the main problem with guns is that people tend to make up statistics and assert their opinions more than they're actually interested in learning about them.
So, you propose to arm an entire nation because there was one incident that cost 12 lives?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe