Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2015, 12:22 AM

1,398 posts, read 1,490,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
I have been to Europe a few times.

I have never felt insecure in Europe or in the US. But I am thankful that my gov't doesn't prohibit me from defending myself, if I wanted to.

I hope your pacifist approach works. Good luck
Very interesting. Every American knows that there are no go areas in each city which are very dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
We hear that nonsense all the time.. I don't know any gun owner who thinks everybody should have a gun.
But anyway, that doesn't mean anything.

What is a fact is that there are millions more guns in the US, with millions of legally armed concealed carry license holders, and the murder rate has dropped dramatically by 40% in the past 20+ years to where it was in 1960.

Accidental firearms deaths have also dropped dramatically.

Look it up.... it is true.
Yet America is super dangerous compared to Europe. How would more guns help anything in France?

Old 01-13-2015, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
Surely you can't judge an entire society by the defensive devices that an individual woman decides to carry in her purse. I certainly wouldn't judge English society because a woman carries a rape alarm in her purse. (I almost said pepper spray, but I'm pretty sure it's illegal in the UK. Sad, if true.)
A rapist is most likely going to be someone who you know and it's going to happen at your or his/her home. A criminals preying in a park at night is just fiction and statistically doesn't happen.

So should every housewife carry a gun in their underpants when their husband is in the room?

Old 01-13-2015, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Law abiding people should be armed.
But in my country people just follow the law and nothing ever happens Why should I be armed?

Old 01-13-2015, 06:54 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,842,867 times
Ive lived in Colombia, Mexico, Belgium switzerland, Japan and visited Morocco, Senegal, Several countries in the Americas and the only one where they stole from me at knife point was geneva switzerland!!! there goes your super safe europe!

Old 01-13-2015, 08:08 AM

70 posts, read 68,193 times
Me and a colleague here were thinking, when we saw that guy walking fearlessly with his gun and shooting that cop still on the ground: In US (most places) that nut would have been shot down by bullets coming from all over the places. But that's just me, I allowed myself to spent time in learning about the true nature of the world around us which is and always will be divided in predators and prey. The "bad guys"/predators will always find a way to do harm but when individual choices are infringed, those most peaceful and conform with the "law" people are more likely to become victims because in many ways the laws either protects the attackers or reduce the options of victims to defend themselves.

One "bad" outcome of large amount of people owning guns is that attackers don't choose to confront the new reality and think: "oh, they will be afraid to use the guns against me because they may shoot each other in the chaos so I go for it anyways" but they would rather adapt and avoid places with lots of guns and move to gun free zones (Aurora shooting dude specifically looked for a further-away cinema where guns were banned), or use crude bombs like at Boston marathons, making in the process some people think that guns are not needed.

Even the crazy (predators) who expect to die in such events would still look for the most vulnerable to make them his/her victims.

But I'm in a very small minority of people in such matters on this continent..

Old 01-13-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Mojo View Post
America in the average is safer than Europe, but the "no-go" areas far outweight the rest. Residential areas are safer than most western European residential areas, cities, not inner cities, are also safer, gated communities are safer.

Most of the crime is localized in "no go" areas, problem is that many tourist don't know those areas and end there...that was the case of Miami, aa minors shot like 10 European tourists blowing tourism to smitherins.

I ilive in a posh residential area by the Med and my house has been burglarised (failed attempts) 4 times, I was mobbed 1 time and pickpocketed 2 times. I never suffered any crime in the US.

There are bands of eastern europeans (not only romas) on constant prowl, if you leave your garage or your garden door open 10 minutes, forget about anything than can be carried.

Weapons are not useful, there was a case in which the owner of a house shot a Romanian that was kicking the s.h.t out of in-laws...he ended in jail.
I don't know... Gated communities don't even exist here. Surely average is always just average but it's hard to believe that America would have super safe areas compared to Finland in example.

No "no go" areas here.

Burglaries and "mobbings" basically don't happen in Finland. Some romanian/bulgarian/russian pickpocketers come here for the summer but it's not really a problem.

Yea nothing like that ever happens here.

Shooting thieving Romanians shouldn't be punishable :S

Old 01-13-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
Ive lived in Colombia, Mexico, Belgium switzerland, Japan and visited Morocco, Senegal, Several countries in the Americas and the only one where they stole from me at knife point was geneva switzerland!!! there goes your super safe europe!
Your knowledge of mathematics amazes me

Old 01-13-2015, 09:08 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,189,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
Let me see you commit a mass murder with a knife DDD
29 dead and 143 wounded:
2014 Kunming attack - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
A criminals preying in a park at night is just fiction and statistically doesn't happen.
Absolutely untrue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAdragon View Post
Even the crazy (predators) who expect to die in such events would still look for the most vulnerable to make them his/her victims.
Yep. If a kosher grocery store was right next to the Jewish Indoor Shooting Range, we all know which business would be targeted by a Jew-hating terrorist.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:14 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,189,615 times
Quote:
Burglaries and "mobbings" basically don't happen in Finland.
But mass murders do:

Kauhajoki school shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jokela school shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Myyrmanni bombing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe