Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2015, 06:05 PM

1,327 posts, read 2,615,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Ever heard of the French Foreign Legion?
My grand father has been in the Foreign Legion.
Foreign Legion is part of the French Army (it is not outsourcing) and it is only a small part of the army.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
The French Foreign Legion has been around since 1831. It is 7,700 men strong out of a total French army strength of 115,000 and 24% of its recruits are French nationals.
Thank you, there is a lot of myths about the French Foreign Legion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 06:29 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,707,014 times
Weren't two police guarding the newspaper office? I don't know if they had guns, if they did they were outgunned. Unless the office staff could get to their guns in time it would be useless. The gunman had the element of surprise and planned out the attacks, were likely better shots and had automatic weapons.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:39 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,910,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Weren't two police guarding the newspaper office? I don't know if they had guns, if they did they were outgunned. Unless the office staff could get to their guns in time it would be useless. The gunman had the element of surprise and planned out the attacks, were likely better shots and had automatic weapons.
Yes, and a security guard too. The police were armed with pistols. Didn't help, and the other one was killed excecution style.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:41 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,529,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I don't believe they were armed. Although you would be right to say they would be outgunned, if they only had handguns. Still though, they could have at least fired one shot! That video grab of the cop laying on the ground begging for his life is gut wrenching.

The terrorist in Canada had the element of surprise but found himself quickly outgunned with no where to run, thanks to well armed security.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:52 PM

1,327 posts, read 2,615,372 times
Obviously they were armed.

The terrorist in Canada was alone and attacked an official government building, not the office of a small weekly paper.
Security was pretty light because nobody would imagine that this kind of attack would arrive.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:00 PM

885 posts, read 1,596,075 times
Quote:
The reality in the USA is that most people are not carrying guns. I am a gun owner and I go to the range regularly. But I don't carry a gun when I am going about my business because I don't feel the need. So, thankfully, you don't get incidents where passers-by start pulling out guns and shooting at who they think is the bad guy.
Relatively speaking, in the U.S. it is very common to have citizens carrying guns. In many western countries, citizens are not even allowed to own guns, let alone carry them. These incidents where a citizen uses a gun for self-defense or self-defense by third party do occur every now and then, so why is it that the scenario you just pictured is not commonplace?

Quote:
I think some people have an idealized view of how these incidents might happen rather than the gory reality of it. Anyone who has been in the military and knows the chaos of battle will realize that there is a huge difference between practice and theory.
I'm not trying to say that a law permitting citizens carrying would have somehow automatically thwarted this particular incident, or most others for that matter. I'd feel a little more comfortable if citizens, if they for one reason or another feel so, had the right to carry a gun to defend themselves or others in case such an occasion would ever arise, with no personal concern to if anyone would actually choose to do so.

Here in Finland, people are rather restrained at using any form of deadly force if justified, even though the percentage of gun owners among the population is one of the highest in the world, and a majority of males and a handful of females have completed conscript military training. Coupled with the rather low crime rates, i feel here it could work very well.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:16 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,910,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post

The terrorist in Canada was alone and attacked an official government building, not the office of a small weekly paper.
Security was pretty light because nobody would imagine that this kind of attack would arrive.
Yup. They were most likely prepared for bomb scares or similar, as happened in 2011.

The shot policeman was Charbonnier's (the editor in chief) personal bodyguard due to death threats, the building security guard unarmed.

Not a big thing to outgun two persons when you assault suddenly with automatic rifles.

(Tauno Pasanen shot - drunk - four police officers with a bolt-action rifle in Finland in 1967. When it's a sudden surprise, you don't have time to do much.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic_Vega View Post
Here in Finland, people are rather restrained at using any form of deadly force if justified, even though the percentage of gun owners among the population is one of the highest in the world, and a majority of males and a handful of females have completed conscript military training. Coupled with the rather low crime rates, i feel here it could work very well.
No thanks.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:26 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,529,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post

nobody imagined this would happen? Really? even though they were firebombed 3 years ago by Muslims?

Old 01-07-2015, 08:25 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,192,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
I don't believe they were armed. Although you would be right to say they would be outgunned, if they only had handguns. Still though, they could have at least fired one shot! That video grab of the cop laying on the ground begging for his life is gut wrenching.
This Google Street View image from August shows an armed policeman outside the door. It would appear that there was a continuous armed presence at the entrance to the building.

http://tinyurl.com/oxoku22

I'm pretty sure that the cop fired on the gunmen, but one man with a handgun doesn't stand much of a chance against two men with rifles.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:33 PM

256 posts, read 313,263 times
No guns, just more strict politics against immigration from muslim countries. I am sorry, but they just can not respect European culture. Killing so many people just because of drawings, that is sick as hell. Stop the violence, Europe! Do not let these barbarians ruin all the beauty you have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe