Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 10:01 AM

121 posts, read 179,821 times

Advertisements

Well, everybody heard of how Christianity is decreasing in Europe generally. But surprisingly, there are parts of Europe where Christianity is still alive and people take the Bible literally!
Netherlands Bible belt (Calvinists in Stadphorst)

Russian Old Believers

Ukrainian villages in Ternopil. Women are expected to give birth every year

British Exclusive Brethrens

Scandinavian Laestadians (they wear modern clothes...but they don't practice premarital sex, oppose homosexuality, abortion, birth control, dating and etc)

Irish Amish

Does anyone know if there are any more? Especially in Southern Europe?

Last edited by globby_832; 02-08-2015 at 10:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 10:12 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,170,010 times
Now this is interesting. I had always figured all of these folks had fled Europe or converted due to the universal military conscription practiced most places in Europe in parts of the 19th and 20th centuries.

Other than the OLd Believers who fled to the middle of nowhere so the tsars and communists ignored them.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:48 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,077,877 times
In Catholic Europe there are many sectarians, there are catholic sectarians such as the OPUS (present in the entire world) and a bunch of crackpot sects as the Legionarios de Cristo, etc, cismatic Catholic Churches, etc.

Also plenty of imported sects, such as Jehova's Witness, Moonies, Mormons, Evangelicals, Baptists, etc.

As to homegrass christians as the one appearing above, no.... the Inquisition burned them, or they were expelled. Protestants did not like them either and many ended in America.

Christianity is not decreasing in Europe, but religion is perceived more as a very important historical legacy rather than as a serious thing.

Last edited by Miserere; 02-09-2015 at 04:57 AM..

Old 02-09-2015, 08:21 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,814,162 times
Luckily i can't recall anything resembling these in my country, it seems something that has to do more with Protestantism, the closest thing we have to it are sects imported from elsewhere such as the Jeovah's Witness, Mormons and Evangelicals, which often tend to live iin their communities isolting themselves from mainstream society.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:41 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
These Catholic groups exist in the U.S. as well. In fact, where I grew up in New York, they were far more conservative than protestant denominations. Mostly of Italian origin, they were active in things like burning heavy metal records, fantasy books, Dungeons & Dragons games, and such.

In New Mexico we also have Los Hermanos Penitentes, a superstitious, esoteric Catholic fraternity that observes some very medieval rituals.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:22 AM

121 posts, read 179,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
Luckily i can't recall anything resembling these in my country, it seems something that has to do more with Protestantism, the closest thing we have to it are sects imported from elsewhere such as the Jeovah's Witness, Mormons and Evangelicals, which often tend to live iin their communities isolting themselves from mainstream society.
I'm sure there must be some from your country ...lol. Which country are you from?

Old 02-11-2015, 08:24 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,309,496 times
My hometown actually is near an Old Believer area.

They are phonies, they dress like Amish but they are complete DRUNKS and are always in the hospital for some drunken mishap. Or the women are in the hospital from getting beaten up by their drunken husbands.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:39 AM

61 posts, read 68,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
In Catholic Europe there are many sectarians, there are catholic sectarians such as the OPUS (present in the entire world) and a bunch of crackpot sects as the Legionarios de Cristo, etc, cismatic Catholic Churches, etc.

Also plenty of imported sects, such as Jehova's Witness, Moonies, Mormons, Evangelicals, Baptists, etc.

As to homegrass christians as the one appearing above, no.... the Inquisition burned them, or they were expelled. Protestants did not like them either and many ended in America.

Christianity is not decreasing in Europe, but religion is perceived more as a very important historical legacy rather than as a serious thing.
Didn't understand a single word of this message.
What you call "OPUS" is the Opus Dei, I guess ? Because OPUS is a pop rock group (remember "life is life")
But Opus Dei is not a sect.
And about your whole text : well, I wouldn't like to be your history teacher. I suppose he hang himself.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:44 AM

61 posts, read 68,542 times
Default dangerous sect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post

by the way, here's your sect, "OPUS" :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtxUk0sfuMk

Old 02-11-2015, 11:34 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,285,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
These Catholic groups exist in the U.S. as well. In fact, where I grew up in New York, they were far more conservative than protestant denominations. Mostly of Italian origin, they were active in things like burning heavy metal records, fantasy books, Dungeons & Dragons games, and such.

In New Mexico we also have Los Hermanos Penitentes, a superstitious, esoteric Catholic fraternity that observes some very medieval rituals.
the most conservative protestants make the most conservative catholics look like sodom and gommorah though i accept that protestants in the northern states of the usa are usually more liberal than their catholic neighbours , opposite in the southern states though

the so called christian right in america are overwhelmingly protestant

OP , their are very few bible belt communities in europe akin to what is pretty common in the southern states of america , northern ireland has some fairly conservative protestant communities who practice bible literalism but they are small in number , no more than in the tens of thousands
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe