Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 11:44 AM

3,573 posts, read 3,804,442 times

Advertisements

answer: no

don't like the term "white trash" btw. i've been around people that by many would be considered "white trash", and they're OK people mostly. just a little different in manners, lifestyle and so on.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:00 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,898,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattledog69 View Post
Europeans are well familiar with the concept of white trash i think. What I find strange is why it's called WHITE trash. Why is there a difference between white and black. Why does it have to be specified that a person that's trash is white?

I always have this feeling whenever this is mentioned that poor whites are the biggest taboo of American culture. The fact that there are black ghetto's and black gangs is no problem for the whole world to see, but poor white people in white ghettos or poor rural areas seems like a much bigger shame for American people in general.
or is it just me thinking that?
PWT(poor white trash) isn't related soley to money it is cultural and yes they are looked down on by many people. The Honey Boo Boo show represented what are considered some the negatives of that demographic quite well. A lot of people make sure they don't live anywhere near or associate as little as possible with people considered PWT.

http://www.thousandaire.com/wp-conte...o-boos-mom.jpg

Old 06-25-2015, 03:12 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,406,060 times
Quote:
Europeans are well familiar with the concept of white trash i think. What I find strange is why it's called WHITE trash. Why is there a difference between white and black. Why does it have to be specified that a person that's trash is white?

I always have this feeling whenever this is mentioned that poor whites are the biggest taboo of American culture. The fact that there are black ghetto's and black gangs is no problem for the whole world to see, but poor white people in white ghettos or poor rural areas seems like a much bigger shame for American people in general.
or is it just me thinking that?
This above post hit the nail on the head! I certainly think racism makes the poorest whites want to hide, only because they are ashamed of having even less money and opportunity than the most disadvantaged blacks. And yes, I realize the term "white trash" may imply all non-white people to be "trash", but I do not agree with that implication personally.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:29 PM

228 posts, read 367,586 times
No they just think of them as really dumb and fat

Old 06-25-2015, 06:35 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,898,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
PWT(poor white trash) isn't related soley to money it is cultural and yes they are looked down on by many people. The Honey Boo Boo show represented what are considered some the negatives of that demographic quite well. A lot of people make sure they don't live anywhere near or associate as little as possible with people considered PWT.

Here these videos puts it a little more in perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeKXCjddN1k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTA6KDszz_A

Old 06-25-2015, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofi32 View Post
No they just think of them as really dumb and fat
Isn't that the definition of white trash? Okay, a few details are missing, but it's halfway there...

Old 06-25-2015, 06:52 PM

647 posts, read 797,205 times
Ahahah "white trash", funny, I never heard it before

Old 06-25-2015, 10:20 PM

Is the theory true that racism is way more intense in the Southern USA than in the rest of the USA because the South is historically poor, and poor whites thought of themselves as rich compared to the former black slaves?

On a similar subject, I would think with all the recent debate about the Confederate flag (as if we didn't have enough racial tension in this country with the police brutality accusations, the tragedy in South Carolina happened) that Mississippi would be pressured into removing the Confederate flag from its own flag. Georgia already did this years ago and was smart to do it.

But anyway, since Mississippi is so poor and never really recovered from the Civil War, I have an idea... replace the Confederate flag portion of the MS flag with the flag of the country that BEGAN the Southern slave trade. Anyone need any hints? What other country has a flag within the Australian flag?

Actually I really like Mississippi (which while backwards in some ways makes up for this with a fascinating culture) but couldn't resist picking on it. Picking, get it?

Old 06-25-2015, 10:27 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,260,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post

Wasn't that family accused of abusing their child? Think i've seen her in an interview.

Ofcourse every society has people like that. We call them Tuig (scum, trash) or a popular term was Aso (anti-social), but the last decade or so they're called Tokkies. We had a similar reality show about such a family. Their last name whas Tokkie, so now everyone refers to white trash as "tokkies".

https://www.google.nl/search?q=tokki...2&ved=0CCAQsAQ

Old 06-25-2015, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Wasn't that family accused of abusing their child? Think i've seen her in an interview.

Ofcourse every society has people like that. We call them Tuig (scum, trash) or a popular term was Aso (anti-social), but the last decade or so they're called Tokkies. We had a similar reality show about such a family. Their last name whas Tokkie, so now everyone refers to white trash as "tokkies".

https://www.google.nl/search?q=tokki...2&ved=0CCAQsAQ
My perception (though I may be wrong) is that the Japanese look at all other Oriental peoples as trash. But this makes sense, because Japan competed with European powers to rule other Asian countries as colonies. And I'm not sure why, but since the end of World War II (during which Japan was an awful dictatorship, in alliance with the Nazis for reasons beyond me) Japan has been one of very few democracies in the Oriental region, and way more advanced than all its neighbors.

But the question that disturbs me is this... did the Japanese public ever actually renounce the actions of the war criminals among them? Sure, the Japanese leaders have apologized, but Japanese history textbooks are still accused of spreading pro-Tojo propaganda, and preserving the anti-American beliefs from the time when Japan was a Nazi puppet state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe