Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 11:17 AM

10,889 posts, read 2,193,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
This answer could fit in american contries in the end of slavory, for exemple. So, it's not impossible, if the majorty of pop. want.
But I guess the majority will never want. It's a big market over here, do you know how many people could lose their jobs if such a law passed ?
I've never eaten foie gras, I don't want to, because the way it's made disguste me but also just because i'm a picky-eater and the thing don't appeal to me.
Other think differently. There was a TV programme not too long ago about this BTW - couldn't watch it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 12:59 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,435,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
I mean in this case, do we have to stop eating all beef, pork... because it is "violent"? That sounds a bit extreme.
To me it sounds perfectly reasonable and desirable. And I dont see any relation between killing an animal to eat it and torture then to make something unnecessary.

Old 06-28-2015, 06:08 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,294,969 times
Also it's "foie" (=liver) and definitely not "foi" (=faith)

As for me, I have to confess that I like it when it is served for christmas, and besides I eat relatively little meat. I am mostly a vegetable / bread person.

contradictions....

Old 06-28-2015, 09:48 PM

1,274 posts, read 979,581 times
Quote:
To me it sounds perfectly reasonable and desirable. And I dont see any relation between killing an animal to eat it and torture then to make something unnecessary.
The point is that we are not vegetarian only, and it is normal that we participate in the food chain. Putting a cursor by saying that it's less acceptable because you force feed a duck for a foie gras doesn't change this reality, which is that we do eat meat in all form. Therefore, it cannot be reasonable or even desirable. It's simply nonsense.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:55 PM

1,274 posts, read 979,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Force-feeding chicken is also illegal in the EU.

I'm an omnivore myself, but I don't support animal cruelty. The animal cruelty laws in the EU are - despite still lacking - a 1000% stricter than they are in the US. Also the use of steroids is illegal here.
EU does not forbid force feeding ("gavage") for countries where it is already in place. And I am totally fine with the animal cruelty laws in EU. But again, putting a cursor does not make it better.

Plus what do you do when force feeding is done naturally because the duck just loves to eat?

Old 06-29-2015, 12:57 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,435,418 times
Sorry, I didnt get your point

We're not talking about eating meat, but about animal abuse. I'm pro prohibition of things like foi grass and musk because what is done to the animal alive.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:09 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
Judging by the foie gras duck farm I have seen, those ducks have a far better life than that chicken you just ate. The anti-Foie gras situation is emotion driven, low information policy making at its height.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:29 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,735,386 times
Quote:
Is there a pressure from the french society to banish this also in France? In countries where it is prohibited, is musk also prohibited?
From my experience, definitely not. Foie gras is served in a lot of restaurants and I've never heard someone talk about animal cruelty whenever foie gras comes into the discussion, which is, admittedly, seldom. In the part of France where half of my family is from, the dish is rather often served, not only at Christmas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Also it's "foie" (=liver) and definitely not "foi" (=faith)

As for me, I have to confess that I like it when it is served for christmas, and besides I eat relatively little meat. I am mostly a vegetable / bread person.

contradictions....
Do some resturants have it on their menu in Italy? What about stores? I've never seen it there, though never payed much attention. Ditto for Germany. I guess it's pretty much a Hungarian/French thing.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:41 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,817,796 times
Foie Gras is not a part of our culture, and not regularly encountered. After further investigation, selling French ("real" force-feeded) foie gras is legal, though many restaurants and stores seem to shun it due to ethical grounds. Producing foie domestically, is legal only if the product comes in the process of regular butchering without force-feeding.

Of course there is a double standard, as fur-farming of foxes and minks, which by animal rights groups is in definition animal cruelty, is legal here, while many countries in Europe have banned it. And we are actually one of the largest producers of furs in Europe.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:56 AM

1,398 posts, read 1,489,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potashh View Post
I'm sorry for them, foie is delicious.. If PC is also going to meddle into our food, the world will be as the world portrayed in Demolition man.
I'm sorry for you if you support such a cruelty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe