Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 07:47 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,391,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post
Scratch beneath the surface of a Greek and you will find Vlach/Aroumanian heritage from one or both parents more often than not. But being from Romania, you probably know that already. Crete, Sparta and Thessaly have that Italian/Roman influence too. Sometimes I wonder if there is any such thing as a Greek anymore or if it isn't just a bunch of Bulgarians, Macedonians, Turks, Thracians, Albanians and Vlachs who speak the Greek language and belong to the Church of Greece.
Show me valid non propaganda scientific evidence of what you are saying is true and show me a people in Europe that is pure and then we can talk. Otherwise your statement is HOGWASH.

Last edited by WildWestDude; 07-23-2015 at 07:58 AM..

Old 07-23-2015, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpathian View Post
as i said, today greeks are mostly of anatolian origin but also the aromanian, albanian and other balkan nations contributed to the present greek population makeup and many famous "greek" characters from history were actually of other ethnic origin.

One of the most annoying aspects of greek behaviour, at least from romanian point of view, is the way they present the aromanians, who they claim are latinised greeks, contrary to the opinion of all non-greek history scholars. It is little probable that the greeks would have adopted the latin language, considered by them inferior and the latinized thracians and illyrians, about whose existence we have clear historical data (they gave more roman emperors than the western hemisphere, italy included) have not vanished without trace, as the greeks like to think.

This false greek propaganda has some very bad consequence: The aromanians themselves, a large part of them, now consider themselves greeks, declare as such and renounce at speaking aromoanian in favour of greek, leading to the rapid disappearing of the aromanian minority from greece through assimilation.
again, again and again . Constant greek bashing and with a satisfaction. Hate, propaganda, deep rooted balkan ethnic dividing beliefs is a description of such persistant statements.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuomiReader View Post
Finland has also existed for millenniums. Its population is even older than Greece (no Indo-Europeans moving in and replacing the older prehistoric population).
you are quoting a statement of greek LANGUAGE being the oldest and most important in Europe not the people so you are out of context.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:45 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,565,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
you are quoting a statement of greek LANGUAGE being the oldest and most important in Europe not the people so you are out of context.
Basque language is the oldest, is pre - Indoeuropean (non Indoeuropean), spoken in Basque Country for at least 7 millenia.

Also Finnish is a pre-Indoeuropean language, spoken on the territory of Finland for 6 to 8 millenia.

Greek is an Indoeuropean language that didn't exist before Bronze Age (late 3rd early 2nd millenium BCE), when was brought by Arian migrants.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:15 AM

1,112 posts, read 1,148,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARPATHIAN View Post
As I said, today Greeks are mostly of Anatolian origin but also the Aromanian, Albanian and other Balkan nations contributed to the present Greek population makeup and many famous "Greek" characters from history were actually of other ethnic origin.
The Anatolians also have that Aroumanian/Roman influence running through them. Much of the family histories, however, may have forgotten this. Their former prime minister, Karamanlis, if memory serves was an Anatolian Vlach with a Macedonian mother.

Then you have further confusion, at least in terms of Macedonians and Greeks. In a lot of cases, "Greek", as defined by both the Turks and how people self-identified, meant that you belonged to a parish of the Patriarchate. In Macedonia, these were mostly Vlachs and people who lived in the cities. The rural population, including rural Vlachs, identified with the Bulgarian Exarchate and called themselves "Bulgarians", which ultimately became "Macedono-Bulgarians".

If you follow the history of the Archbishop of Ohrid (the Macedonian Church), it was disbanded in 1767. I also wonder if the terms "Greek", "Macedonian", "Bulgarian", etc. are based in church affiliation. If you were under the Ohrid church (which extended into most of Greek Macedonia), I wonder if that was the basis for being a Macedonian since ethnic affiliation is all a jumbled mess?

Quote:

One of the most annoying aspects of Greek behaviour, at least from Romanian point of view, is the way they present the Aromanians, who they claim are Latinised Greeks, contrary to the opinion of all non-Greek history scholars. It is little probable that the Greeks would have adopted the Latin language, considered by them inferior and the Latinized Thracians and Illyrians, about whose existence we have clear historical data (they gave more Roman emperors than the Western Hemisphere, Italy included) have not vanished without trace, as the Greeks like to think.

This false Greek propaganda has some very bad consequence: the Aromanians themselves, a large part of them, now consider themselves Greeks, declare as such and renounce at speaking Aromoanian in favour of Greek, leading to the rapid disappearing of the Aromanian minority from Greece through assimilation.
I have mixed feelings on this. If you follow the timeline, it makes sense that Aroumanians are the oldest population there and that they were Latinized. And then there's that "Greco-Roman" brotherhood thing.

I don't know where this all fits together .... I just see Aroumanians all over the place and it seems like they were interwoven through all Balkan societies. They are like the Jews of the Balkans. Nikola Tesla was an Aroumanian even!

Old 07-23-2015, 09:18 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,178,089 times
[quote=red baron;40520557]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Fyi)).

For example, the 3 mil(give and take) Greeks in the US, have elected a vice president, almost a president, numerous congressmen and have excelled for years. What did the Fins or Romanians accomplish? Get your facts straight... times have changed and today's smaller countries struggle to adopt to this NWO/reality.

I am sure those 3 million greeks are very fine people. However, I would not brag about a vice president who had to resign because of tax evasion (seems to be a favorite sport of the greeks, LOL). As to the almost president, well he could not drive that tank all the way to the White House. What a clown.
A president does not need to know how to drive a tank, not his job. Do you know how to drive one? How about fly a fighter jet or do a technical scuba dive at 300 feet? Can you? So we can call you a clown too then?

You can blame Nixon for that administration's corruption. There's a saying in GR, the fish stinks from the head.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:20 AM

1,112 posts, read 1,148,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
Show me valid non propaganda scientific evidence of what you are saying is true and show me a people in Europe that is pure and then we can talk. Otherwise your statement is HOGWASH.
Some knowledge isn't documented. You have to put the pieces together yourself.

Example:

1. Official Propaganda:

In the United States, in school we always learned that the "carpetbaggers" descending on the South after the Civil War were "northerners" who took advantage of native southerners with their shady business practices.

2. The untold story you have to piece together yourself because teaching the truth is uncomfortable for many:

The "northerners" called the "carpetbaggers" were predominantly Jewish merchants from the north.

See: Gen U.S. Grant's 'War' On Jewish Civil War Carpetbaggers

(I'm not anti-Jew, by the way. I am pro truth and honesty.)

Old 07-23-2015, 09:47 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,565,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post
The Anatolians also have that Aroumanian/Roman influence running through them. Much of the family histories, however, may have forgotten this. Their former prime minister, Karamanlis, if memory serves was an Anatolian Vlach with a Macedonian mother.
Maybe you confuse the term Anatolian with some term for a region of Balkans. Anatolia = present Turkey.

Quote:
Then you have further confusion, at least in terms of Macedonians and Greeks. In a lot of cases, "Greek", as defined by both the Turks and how people self-identified, meant that you belonged to a parish of the Patriarchate. In Macedonia, these were mostly Vlachs and people who lived in the cities. The rural population, including rural Vlachs, identified with the Bulgarian Exarchate and called themselves "Bulgarians", which ultimately became "Macedono-Bulgarians".
Occasionally, ethnonyms were used to distinguish religious groups (or even occupations, for example the term Vlachs was used with the meaning "shepherd" by Greeks, Albanians and Slavs) but that doesn't mean a speaker of Vlach (Aromanian) language was not knowing he is a Vlach and that his language is of Latin origin. Same for other ethnic groups.

Quote:
I don't know where this all fits together .... I just see Aroumanians all over the place and it seems like they were interwoven through all Balkan societies. They are like the Jews of the Balkans. Nikola Tesla was an Aroumanian even!
Romanians and Aromanians were a single group prior to 10th century, living in central areas of Balkans and perhaps the territory of Romania. Then, with the creation of the First Bulgar Empire, this Romance speaking group was split in two, the one north of Danube - the today Romanians - and the one from southern Balkans (Albania, Greece, Macedonia) - the Aromanians. The compact mass of Bulgarian Slavs between them lead to their different evolution since 10th century and today significant phonetic and morphologic differences exist, the two language being not inteligible to each other.

The Balkan Vlachs (same thing with Aromanians), as well as medieval Romanians (prior to creation of the Romanian principalities in 13-14th centuries) were shepherd people, migrating on large territories from today Czech Republic (were a region is called Moravian Wallachia) to Turkey (a significant neighborhood of Constantinople was Vlacherne) and to deep eastern Ukraine.

Tesla was born in a region known for its Vlach heritage but at the time his family lived there, the population was already Slavicized. His family name is yet of Vlach origin, teslă meaning adze.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Basque language is the oldest, is pre - Indoeuropean (non Indoeuropean), spoken in Basque Country for at least 7 millenia.

Also Finnish is a pre-Indoeuropean language, spoken on the territory of Finland for 6 to 8 millenia.

Greek is an Indoeuropean language that didn't exist before Bronze Age (late 3rd early 2nd millenium BCE), when was brought by Arian migrants.
Basque is so different that its age can't be determined. Greek is the language that sciences depended on and still do and is extremely rich in vocabulary and goes back millennia. I don't see anyone stating this fact but I shouldn't be amazed because its not a negative thing that others would jump on.

per wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_language
"Greek has been spoken in the Balkan Peninsula since around the late 3rd millennium BC. The earliest written evidence is a Linear B clay tablet found in Messenia that dates to between 1450 and 1350 BC,[14] making Greek the world's oldest recorded living language. Among the Indo-European languages, its date of earliest written attestation is matched only by the now extinct Anatolian languages."

Hence for the others not to be recorded their age is heresay and open to misinterpertation

Last edited by WildWestDude; 07-23-2015 at 11:17 AM..

Old 07-23-2015, 11:11 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Some possible ways Greece could tackle its debt crisis:

How Greece Can Solve Its Debt Crisis - The Onion - America's Finest News Source
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe