Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 02:26 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,262,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urania93 View Post
Those are some photos from my place

Turin: the architectural style which is usually associate with the historical center is this one

but then there are also some more characteristic streets, for example

Moving toward the mountains you start to see that the stone becomes progressively a more important material, also for the roofs for example.

Taking as an example my valley (Val Susa)
-Avigliana: this town is in the lowest part of the valley, and it looks a lot like the towns on the plain

-Susa: this is a town in the middle of the valley. In the historical center a lot of roofs are made with "lose", which are a local kind of flat stone.

-Bardonecchia: this is a touristic town in the highest part of the valley. For those houses they used a lot of stone and wood.

And the distance between the two most distant places I showed is less than 80Km.
So the architectural style changes quite quickly here
In the Alps, pyrenees and massif central the kind of roofs tend to change with altitude:

Alpine area in southern France

Pyrenees town in Spain

Massif central town with Lauze roofs

Last edited by french user; 08-17-2015 at 02:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 02:44 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,534,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mar89 View Post
These are some examples of traditional architecture and urban spaces from my region, that may share some similarities with Spanish architecture.

Bagnacavallo

from http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/64709473.jpg

Lugo
from https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...e_2966-7st.JPG

Brisighella

from http://www.brisighella.org/wp-conten...-del-Borgo.jpg

Cervia

from http://archivio.alberghierocervia.co...0MUNICIPIO.jpg

Pennabilli

from http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/43717919.jpg

Mondaino

from http://static.riviera.rimini.it/tl_f...4_mondaino.jpg

Thank you for the pictures. If I saw some of them without knowing exactly where they were from, I'd have pointed in general Italy/Spain direction, but I wouldn't be able to tell exactly which one.
Yes, most likely it's not about Italy or Spain when it comes to architecture, but more about the region first of all. This makes sense.

Old 08-18-2015, 05:18 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,303,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Thank you for the pictures. If I saw some of them without knowing exactly where they were from, I'd have pointed in general Italy/Spain direction, but I wouldn't be able to tell exactly which one.
That's exactly the point: from the perspective of someone from far away, it all looks pretty much the same; for those who live in those regions, the differences are clear, even stark.

Look, I can tell the difference in accent from Brescia to Lecco to Como, about 80 miles across, but for someone from outside northern Lombardia, it's all Lombard, for someone from outside Italy, it's all Italian, for someone from outside Europe, it's all neo-Latin babble. And the same for various English accents in various regions of the world.

It's largely a question of perspective.

In any case, the OP is known for barging into forums, starting a thread with an inane question, and never returning.

Some great photos by the way, thanks.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:06 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,262,823 times
Been situated between Italy and Spain, the various regions of southern France can shows architectures that can remind more one or the other, being still southern french. Obviouly, generally the closer to Spain or Italy a town is, the more it would be to the neighboring Spanish or Italian neighboring regions. But There are exceptions.

Very close to Italian border, the old town of Menton used to be Genovese town, not much differenciable from the towns of the other side of the border

While a few hundred kilometers to the south-west, at Spanish border, the ambiance us Catalan. Here Perpignan

Still further west, on the Atlantic side of french-spanish border, basque architecture is still a different thing

Last edited by french user; 08-18-2015 at 12:55 PM..

Old 08-18-2015, 11:38 PM

185 posts, read 258,539 times
Spain has a stronger variation in architecture from region to region than Italy.... also more modern architecture too.

Old 08-19-2015, 05:17 AM

570 posts, read 604,745 times
the fundamental difference between the spanish and italian architecture is that spanish
is much better restored as well as street furniture.
The same roads and trains are spanish or meters more clean and precise.
It is a same that this wonderful country as abandoned.
For years it was the other way around Italy had best preserved its architecture of spain.

Old 08-19-2015, 05:39 AM

Ulta´-
I very much agree with his report on the spanish architecture and of Italy.
Se see who knows their countries
Italy is one of the countries most dear to me I feel I have so deteriorated beatiful architecture.
I congratulate you as However architecture of France this nicely restored .

Old 08-19-2015, 05:44 AM

sorry I mean french user not in my previus post Ulta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe