Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Finland, Iceland, or Denmark?
Finland 15 27.78%
Iceland 14 25.93%
Denmark 25 46.30%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 06:50 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,817,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Finland has almost 10,000 Sami people. I was not trying to suggest that Finland was the epicenter of Sami culture, but without the Sami, lakes, and vodka, what else has Finland got? Finns? No thanks!
Beer? Sauna? Angry Birds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soUlwounD View Post
Let me tell then.. Sami people and sami culture were in finland before finns took a step in. Natives in finland..

Samediggi - Saamelaiskäräjät - Etusivu

Samediggi - Saamelaiskäräjät - Etusivu

Samediggi - Saamelaiskäräjät - The Sámi

The Sámi form Finland

Culture, there is huge sami culture among finnish sami people with spirituality, foods, stories, art, music, joik handicraft, dresses, life style etc. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yle_S%C3%A1mi_Radio

If white (or other) finns does not know it it just tell about lack of studying own lands history and lack of interest.
Listen, the Sami in the Nordic Countries are not like Native Americans in North America. It has also been challenged if the Sami were here first after all, or if both Sami and Finnish tribes arrived at the same time. In any case, the Sami people have always been a tiny minority, maybe their culture have some traction in Lapland, I don't know. I'm a southerner, my culture is the Corded Ware culture and agriculture, why should I care about some reindeer herders living in tents? We are 5.5 million in this country, 6000 of them are Sami. Quite trivial if you ask me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 06:56 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,032,662 times
Denmark for me, Finland is far too cold (though Denmark is too cold as well its the lesser of the two evils).

Old 08-15-2015, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Denmark for me, Finland is far too cold (though Denmark is too cold as well its the lesser of the two evils).
Rather Finland than Scotland for the weather.

Old 08-15-2015, 07:58 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,346,679 times
I like Finland a lot. It's the country I know best out of those three. Great country to visit. Really pleasant during summer and I don't really mind rough winters. The cities are fun, the people were great as well. Frankly, I can hardly think of anything I didn't like about that country (except the ridiculous alcohol prices/policy...).

I also enjoyed Copenhagen. Can't really judge it, though, because I only stayed there for five days. Laid back, cool to hang around.

Never visited Iceland, but want to go there really badly. Ranks pretty high on my bucket list.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Frankly, I can hardly think of anything I didn't like about that country (except the ridiculous alcohol prices/policy...)
The lacklustre fast food scene? Only Hesburger and low-quality döner.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:46 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,700,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post

Listen, the Sami in the Nordic Countries are not like Native Americans in North America. It has also been challenged if the Sami were here first after all, or if both Sami and Finnish tribes arrived at the same time. In any case, the Sami people have always been a tiny minority, maybe their culture have some traction in Lapland, I don't know. I'm a southerner, my culture is the Corded Ware culture and agriculture, why should I care about some reindeer herders living in tents? We are 5.5 million in this country, 6000 of them are Sami. Quite trivial if you ask me.

I cannot believe you ariete

Why should russia then care for not attacking finland? Why 143 million russians would mind what happends to minor 5 million finnish people?

Why should not USA use finland as a bait to russia like it does now in media all the time, just 5 million peeps in the north-nowhere.. Nobody would miss them nor even notice they would disappear.

WHO CARES?

/huh?

When it is about you and your own family I suppose you care? Well, everyone in the world is you as in a matter of i, person, personality and having a family. It does not make the difference what is number of human population in the world. You still want to practise your thing and not want to be invisible and swiped into islam etc. I think you should care as some bigger than you might care about you and not stomping over you.

I cannot see argiculture in your statement, agriculture has roots of caring.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
The lacklustre fast food scene? Only Hesburger and low-quality döner.
Well, yeah. The kebabs in Finland suck. They don't get the sauces right and they are just way over the top price-wise. Then again, you have makkaraperunat, which was probably sent by god himself. And I actually prefer Hesburger over McD's, which is way too common in Central Europe...

That said, yeah, there are a couple of minor things that aren't perfect about Finland. The opening hours of clubs and bars or the restaurant scene outside of Helsinki in general comes to mind. But overall Finland (and especially Helsinki) would be one of my top picks in case I had a chance to move abroad for a while.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soUlwounD View Post
I cannot believe you ariete

Why should russia then care for not attacking finland? Why 143 million russians would mind what happends to minor 5 million finnish people?

Why should not USA use finland as a bait to russia like it does now in media all the time, just 5 million peeps in the north-nowhere.. Nobody would miss them nor even notice they would disappear.

WHO CARES?

/huh?

When it is about you and your own family I suppose you care? Well, everyone in the world is you as in a matter of i, person, personality and having a family. It does not make the difference what is number of human population in the world. You still want to practise your thing and not want to be invisible and swiped into islam etc. I think you should care as some bigger than you might care about you and not stomping over you.

I cannot see argiculture in your statement, agriculture has roots of caring.
Mitä vittua nyt taas? What on earth are you ranting about? Sorry, I missed the point completely. My point, however, is that I'm Finnish and I'm interested in Finnish culture. The Sami's have no part in this whatsoever. Already their numbers, being a smaller minority than the Turks, Chinese or Somalis in this country indicate that their influence has been minnow, especially when they generally live in Lapland 800 km away from me. I think I've met like 4-5 people with Sami blood in my entire life. Why should this small minority be so important to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Well, yeah. The kebabs in Finland suck. They don't get the sauces right and they are just way over the top price-wise. Then again, you have makkaraperunat, which was probably sent by god himself. And I actually prefer Hesburger over McD's, which is way too common in Central Europe...

That said, yeah, there are a couple of minor things that aren't perfect about Finland. The opening hours of clubs and bars or the restaurant scene outside of Helsinki in general comes to mind. But overall Finland (and especially Helsinki) would be one of my top picks in case I had a chance to move abroad for a while.
Also the short days in winter. And that most trams don't run after 23 or 24.

But maybe you would like the weather right now. Not too cold, not too hot:

Old 08-15-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
But maybe you would like the weather right now. Not too cold, not too hot:
Yeah, that would be nice... I'm in Hong Kong right now... The heat and the humidity sucks...

Old 08-15-2015, 09:39 AM

8,867 posts, read 8,450,938 times
^Vienna seems about as hot these days tbh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe