Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Finland, Iceland, or Denmark?
Finland 15 27.78%
Iceland 14 25.93%
Denmark 25 46.30%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 05:00 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,040,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARPATHIAN View Post
Nevertheless, the question is, why does Denmark accept such thing?
Tradition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 08:02 PM

156 posts, read 287,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Tradition
As much as I would like to dismiss the reply and close the tab without batting an eye, I don't think an excuse like 'tradition' is any justification for full-fledged, deliberate cruelty.

Old 08-18-2015, 02:23 AM

602 posts, read 496,288 times
Denmark has no say in regards to the yearly and traditionally grindadráp at the Faore Islands. Faroe Islands is an independent and autonomous country. They are part of The Danish Realm (along with Greenland), which pretty much boils down to that Denmark ensures the defense of the Faroe Island and defines Faroe Islands foreign policy, and that's it. Denmark cannot and will not dictate the domestic policy of the Faroe Islands. Danes are not imperialists.

It is not cruel. It's humans killing animals for meat, that is the nature of humans. I am pretty sure that the whales lived a pretty good life unlike that chicken you suckers consumed the other day. The actual killing of the pilot whales are by the way done as swift and as humane as it gets.

About 30% of the meat consumed on The Faroe Islands comes from this yearly event. 200 pilot whales die and an entire nation is fed. Imagine if the Faroese only ate chicken, then imagine how many chickens they would need to slaughter instead of pilot whales. If you care about life, there is some reason in eating bigger animals as fewer animals then needs to die. The pilot whales are by the way not endangered.

Also, have you been to The Faroe Islands? I have. It's rocks with moss on in the middle of the North Atlantic ocean. It is horrible beyond comprehension. If they aren't allowed to eat pilot whales, what are they supposed to eat up there? Humans?

Oh and yeah, I know it's not a whale, but a dolphin.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:48 AM

2,617 posts, read 3,457,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDentist View Post
It is not cruel. It's humans killing animals for meat, that is the nature of humans. I am pretty sure that the whales lived a pretty good life unlike that chicken you suckers consumed the other day. The actual killing of the pilot whales are by the way done as swift and as humane as it gets.
Both are cruel. And we don't need to eat animals to survive. I'm not a vegetarian because it hard for me to give up meat because I like its taste, but I can live without it.

Quote:
Also, have you been to The Faroe Islands? I have. It's rocks with moss on in the middle of the North Atlantic ocean. It is horrible beyond comprehension. If they aren't allowed to eat pilot whales, what are they supposed to eat up there? Humans?
Can't they just import the food?!

Old 08-18-2015, 03:57 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,565,549 times
Quote:
If you care about life, there is some reason in eating bigger animals as fewer animals then needs to die. The pilot whales are by the way not endangered.

If they aren't allowed to eat pilot whales, what are they supposed to eat up there? Humans?
Nothing justify cruelty. If they can't live there without inflicting pain and death on animals, they should leave the place. Eating meat is a reminescence of stone age, is unhealthy and immoral. Soon will be history, as the number of vegans grows fastly.

And Denmark is partly responsible for what is happening there, both goverment and simple people, as the territory is part of their kingdom. Are any demonstrations or other kind of attitude against this or the "nice people" are busy with something else?

Old 08-18-2015, 05:08 AM

602 posts, read 496,288 times
Sorry guys, I respect your opinion and choice, but I am not gonna go into a discussion with two vegetarians about the moral issues of eating meat. We are diametrically opposed on this matter, it would be meaningless.

And no, Denmark has no legal right to intervene or force the Faroese to stop their traditions. This is an indisputable fact. If you disagree, you are wrong - period. The two Atlantic members of the Danish Realm are part of the Danish Realm by choice, and they may leave whenever they want to. If Denmark tried to somehow force the Faroese to stop grindadráp, the Faroese would leave the Danish Realm in a heartbeat. The same applies to Greenland in regards to their traditions.

BTW, you guys do know that the Inuits of Greenland slaughter and eat cute fluffy seals, which is an integrated and important part of their diet, right? Should the Inuits just pack up their stuff, head south and be vegetarians or what?

Old 08-18-2015, 06:46 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,565,549 times
Quote:
And no, Denmark has no legal right to intervene or force the Faroese to stop their traditions.
Is not about intervening but about expressing against the practice. It doesn't matter if Faroe leaves or stays inside the Realm. If something is right, it must be done at any cost, sacrifices.

Quote:
BTW, you guys do know that the Inuits of Greenland slaughter and eat cute fluffy seals, which is an integrated and important part of their diet, right?
So? Is somehow a crime justifying other crime?

Old 08-18-2015, 07:51 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
Well the Faroese eat puffins too. How can anyone eat something so cute?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max96 View Post
They do. The soil is very poor, and due to the weak growing season it's hard to grow anything on the islands. Agriculture is virtually impossible there. All the mentioned chicken, eggs, vegetables and beef has to be imported. Fish, whales and birds are the only one which are abundant on those windswept islands.

---

I read about the whale slaughter sometimes, and it's actually tried to makes as humane as possible. Only certified people may do something and has to kill the whale as quickly as possible. I think it's the blood that puts people off, indicating that angry mobs slaughter whales just for fun and try to get some aggressions off their heart. This is not the case.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:31 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,369,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max96 View Post
Both are cruel.

Sure. Killing an animal in Spain and mailing it to the Faroes is far less cruel.

Every time a field is plowed and a crop mechanically harvested, millions of organisms die. I was just talking to a farmer who described watching hundreds of rabbits getting caught in his machinery as he harvested a soy crop last year.

If you live on earth, it is at the expense of other species, period.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:39 AM

1,071 posts, read 1,260,713 times
I totally agree with the Dentist, and Ariete.

Why is it that practically everyone eats meat, where obviously an animal has to be killed for, but as soon as they SEE the blood and actually SEE an animal being killed, it all of the sudden is "animal cruelty". What a joke!
I can somehow respect a vegetarian or veganist in that they at least are being straight up and don't eat meat at all, but from someone that eats meat, i find it downright hypocrite.

And the way the wales are being killed is absolutely no different from how a cow or a pig is killed in the slaughterhouse: shoot a steel pin in either the brain, or the spine. It's quick and painless. The only difference is that this is done by a (professional) person by hand and in the other case it's by a machine.

At least the wales have a MUCH better life than the supermarket chickens we get on our plates.

I have a bunch of chickens and a rooster. They have a big run on my terrain and from time to time i let them run free around the house, so they have a great life. I got fresh eggs everyday so I don't have to eat eggs from an abused chicken from the supermarket. From time to time we get a nest of chicks and if there's a rooster in it, i kill it and eat it. Does that make me an animal abuser too? Is that animal cruelty?

I think it's great that there are still people in Europe living like that and hold on to their traditions. They're much closer to nature, and much more environment- friendly then any of the people that oppose them.

Now Japanese killing thousands of whales and seals just for a profit and leaving the carcasses to rot , that's a whole different matter....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe