Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Finland, Iceland, or Denmark?
Finland 15 27.78%
Iceland 14 25.93%
Denmark 25 46.30%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 10:35 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattledog69 View Post

And the way the wales are being killed is absolutely no different from how a cow or a pig is killed in the slaughterhouse: shoot a steel pin in either the brain, or the spine. It's quick and painless. The only difference is that this is done by a (professional) person by hand and in the other case it's by a machine.

At least the wales have a MUCH better life than the supermarket chickens we get on our plates.

I have a bunch of chickens and a rooster. They have a big run on my terrain and from time to time i let them run free around the house, so they have a great life. I got fresh eggs everyday so I don't have to eat eggs from an abused chicken from the supermarket. From time to time we get a nest of chicks and if there's a rooster in it, i kill it and eat it. Does that make me an animal abuser too? Is that animal cruelty?

I think it's great that there are still people in Europe living like that and hold on to their traditions. They're much closer to nature, and much more environment- friendly then any of the people that oppose them.
Excellent post with points that bear repeating.

And to that last point about environmental friendliness, harvesting a resource in your own 'backyard' like whales in the Faroes, if done responsibly, is far more sustainable than transporting tomatoes and soybeans from the corners of the globe to some remote islands in the North Sea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 05:44 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,565,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Every time a field is plowed and a crop mechanically harvested, millions of organisms die. I was just talking to a farmer who described watching hundreds of rabbits getting caught in his machinery as he harvested a soy crop last year.
You can't compare an insect with a superior animal with intelligence, emotions, like mammals or birds.
Quote:
If you live on earth, it is at the expense of other species, period.
You don't have the duty to live but you have the duty to respect other lives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattledog69 View Post
I totally agree with the Dentist, and Ariete.

Why is it that practically everyone eats meat, where obviously an animal has to be killed for, but as soon as they SEE the blood and actually SEE an animal being killed, it all of the sudden is "animal cruelty". What a joke! I can somehow respect a vegetarian or veganist in that they at least are being straight up and don't eat meat at all, but from someone that eats meat, i find it downright hypocrite.
Is not a joke! Is natural and good for humans to feel compassion for other sentient beings. When the animals are tortured in breeding farms and killed in slaughterhouse and people don't see them suffering, are tempted to think they are not persons, while in the case of thew whales, is the visual images that make them realise the pain and tragedy of the dying beings. If they would see images from slaughterhouses, there would be a similar effect with the killing of whales. And in fact from the animal protection organisations, there is a growing request to install cctv in slaughterhouses and the images to be available publicly, in order to make people realize how the meat they eat is produced.
Quote:
At least the wales have a MUCH better life than the supermarket chickens we get on our plates.
That is nobody's merit.

Quote:
From time to time we get a nest of chicks and if there's a rooster in it, i kill it and eat it. Does that make me an animal abuser too? Is that animal cruelty?
Ofcourse. Every superior animal love freedom and want to enjoy life. I have around 30 pigeons and each of them has a very well defined and different personality. What is common to all is the wish to be free, to not be confined and ofcourse to not suffer physical pain.

Quote:
I think it's great that there are still people in Europe living like that and hold on to their traditions. They're much closer to nature, and much more environment- friendly then any of the people that oppose them.
In the same way you can justify cannibalism, slavery or other injustices. There are wrong traditions over there.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:01 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARPATHIAN View Post
You can't compare an insect with a superior animal with intelligence, emotions, like mammals or birds.
You don't have the duty to live but you have the duty to respect other lives.
If I was talking about insects, I might have said billions instead of millions. I was referring to mice, rabbits, voles, ground squirrels, foxes, prairie dogs, badgers, mink, skunk, raccoon, quail, pigeons, prairie chickens, numerous other ground nesting birds, and so on.

Basically, hundreds of smaller mammals and birds make crop fields their homes or feeding grounds and it is impossible for farmers to avoid poisoning or mechanically mutilating them during the harvest process on most crops.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:33 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,206,193 times
Denmark.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:08 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,565,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
If I was talking about insects, I might have said billions instead of millions. I was referring to mice, rabbits, voles, ground squirrels, foxes, prairie dogs, badgers, mink, skunk, raccoon, quail, pigeons, prairie chickens, numerous other ground nesting birds, and so on.

Basically, hundreds of smaller mammals and birds make crop fields their homes or feeding grounds and it is impossible for farmers to avoid poisoning or mechanically mutilating them during the harvest process on most crops.
Sure, but is thousands of times less violent and also infinitely more less environment-damageful. Recently, scientists calculated that the grains that farm animals are fed can be used to feed 8 billion people, saving the planet from hunger. Also, the animal agriculture is the main cause for the exhausting of planet's water resources, the main cause of global warming, the main cause of wild animal and plant species extinction, habitat destruction, water pollution etc. You have here more facts, with links for the sources of data presented (serious websites, like fao.org ):

COWSPIRACY: The Sustainability Secret

Old 08-19-2015, 03:02 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,387,361 times
Nature wise I think Finland overbears Denmark almoust certainly as it has more wild nature and as well because it is many times bigger by area with big lenght from south to north with some more landscape variation. Iceland is in turn interesting because of being that different from others with it´s specific "moon landscape" and because of volcanism, geysers and glaciers. But it is just like I believe the things to be. I have been in reality to Helsinki and Copenhagen only and had not seen any countrysides there, not talking about Iceland.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:29 AM

185 posts, read 258,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARPATHIAN View Post
Contemporary Danish Kingdom

Islanders in motorboats first drive the whales into a bay. The chase may be lengthy. The exhausted, terrified and confused whales are eventually driven into the shallows. Here the bloodbath begins. The islanders repeatedly hammer 2.2 kg metal gaffs into the living flesh of each whale until the hooks hold. A 15 cm knife is then used to slash through the blubber and flesh to the spinal column. Next the main blood vessels are severed. The blood-stained bay is soon filled with horribly mutilated and dying whales.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/popoever/3382706472/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/popoever/3382705610/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/popoever/3382705498/
wow

so backwards

what a horrible people.....

slaughtering poor whales like that!

Old 08-26-2015, 04:44 AM

2,617 posts, read 3,456,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulta View Post
wow

so backwards

what a horrible people.....

slaughtering poor whales like that!
You're trying to say that cruel people live only there? Actually, cruel people live anywhere in the world, sad but true.

Old 09-14-2015, 01:08 AM

3 posts, read 2,296 times
Iceland by far

Old 09-14-2015, 11:10 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,293,195 times
denmark

iceland is too expensive ( despite not being rich ) and finland is too dull
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe