Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 02:29 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,934,147 times

Advertisements

The Europe forums never were about Europe, they're just a place where Americans can claim their supposed exceptionalism and superiority over other countries. The Canada forums serve the same purpose. The observation that they endlessly need to repeat their 'higher living standard', 'lower crime rates', 'better health-care', and 'lower costs of living' makes it appear they are very insecure about all that themselves. It's like if repeating the same lie a million times would make it any more true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 02:47 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,731,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
Well unfortunately the US is the only country that will step up and try to solve world problems, usually with the token backing of some EU/NATO country's, and when things go well they loudly proclaim how wonderful "we" are, But if the SHTF then they scurry off and point there fingers at the US and say its all your fault.
Exactly what "world problems" the US solved? It probably created more.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:49 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,218,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
The Europe forums never were about Europe, they're just a place where Americans can claim their supposed exceptionalism and superiority over other countries. The Canada forums serve the same purpose. The observation that they endlessly need to repeat their 'higher living standard', 'lower crime rates', 'better health-care', and 'lower costs of living' makes it appear they are very insecure about all that themselves. It's like if repeating the same lie a million times would make it any more true.
I don't really agree. This forum at its heart is about cities and the members skew heavily in favor of density, walkability, vibrancy, architectural diversity and richness, culture, history, public transit, etc, all of which Europe has in spades compared to the US. I think most on this site do have a great deal of respect for Europe, the present situation notwithstanding, or at least its cities. Many see European cities as the standard that American cities should strive for. Maybe not as much in the real world, but on this site yes.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:02 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,345,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
And by "lie" you mean actual fact. And obviously this offends you so much because you aren't insecure about living in a dying continent.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:14 PM
F18

542 posts, read 529,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
And by "lie" you mean actual fact. And obviously this offends you so much because you aren't insecure about living in a dying continent.
Europe is not dying. Anyways I still can't understand why Americans are so concerned about Europe's demographics when they don't affect them at all. There are bigger problems in Europe than its demographics.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:23 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,729,269 times
I am an American. I am interested in European immigration issues because I have lived in Denmark for 20+ years. I do not fear refugees from the Middle East, or anywhere. I would very much like to see Denmark become a multi-ethnic and multi-cultural society. A large number of people in Denmark feel the same way as i do and even went so far as to feed, shelter and transport refugees in the last two weeks, against the orders of the government, until the Danish police decided to help the refugees (rather then stop them) themselves and to not arrest those Danes who were helping the refugees, in contravention of government orders. After that, government leaders became very quiet.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:34 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,889,770 times
At least there's someone who is interested in that.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:37 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,317,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I've been told its a side effect from being a super power, we really need a separate section to talk about Americans so the bickering can happen there... idk why i come to the Europe section and see endless topics about people of my nationality.
Yep, like a moth is drawn to the light of a flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
Europe is not dying. Anyways I still can't understand why Americans are so concerned about Europe's demographics when they don't affect them at all. There are bigger problems in Europe than its demographics.
I'm pretty sure it's why some Americans...are so concerned about Europe's demographics when they don't affect them at all.

Old 09-15-2015, 04:44 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,345,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
Relative to every other developed part of the world, Europe is in relative decline. There is no developed part of the planet with worse economic numbers.

What this has to do with "Americans" is beyond me.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:00 PM

545 posts, read 866,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
Maybe Canada and the US should pull out. Europe should protect themselves from Russia. Enough already.
You know that Canada is spending barely 1% of its GDP in military right ?
More over, in your above post, you know that Austria and Switzerland are not in the NATO right ?

And finally, the US may spend the most in the NATO but truth is the NATO is used ONLY when the US wants to.. Since it exists, it only served US interests but in Kosovo.. When France went to Ivory Coast, CAR or Mali planes were provided by some allies including the US and the UN/AU sent troops but NATO weren't from any help.

Because from whom the US is protecting Europe ? Russia ? Europe spend far more than Russia with much more modern stuff, and we've got our own nukes. And what Russia would do ? Start a WWIII ? Come on..

NATO is used by the US to sell its home made weapons to the other members because it requests all NATO equipment to follow US standards. So seriously, stop with this old blabla about the US subsiding European defense. During the cold war it would have been true, but not anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe