Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 09:13 AM

2,617 posts, read 3,456,975 times

Advertisements

I've already said it many times, but I almost never had a problem with cloudy weather. I don't understand why do so many people dislike it, it feels so cool and fresh for me, and the annoyingly bright sun isn't dazzling me. I don't mind some sun, but only when it's not hot. When it's hot and sunny, I'm craving it was cloudy and about 21C. And I already live (and have lived for my whole life) in a quite cloudy climate, cloudier than Seattle (although sunnier than the Netherlands).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 09:25 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,902,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max96 View Post
I've already said it many times, but I almost never had a problem with cloudy weather. I don't understand why do so many people dislike it, it feels so cool and fresh for me, and the annoyingly bright sun isn't dazzling me. I don't mind some sun, but only when it's not hot. When it's hot and sunny, I'm craving it was cloudy and about 21C. And I already live (and have lived for my whole life) in a quite cloudy climate, cloudier than Seattle (although sunnier than the Netherlands).
SAD(Seasonal affective disorder) isn't simply a dislike for cloudy weather it is a depression caused in part by a decrease in sunlight in some people it actually results in decreased seratonin levels the cause is biological.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:09 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,859,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
SAD(Seasonal affective disorder) isn't simply a dislike for cloudy weather it is a depression caused in part by a decrease in sunlight in some people it actually results in decreased seratonin levels the cause is biological.
Only valid if the cause is *really* as what you described.
Meaning, clinically determined, not just *I feel depressed*.

So if nothing seems to help, then at least get some professional opinion, and get it *fixed*.

I get *icky* when it is cloudy and raining for a few days.
But ... , my reason is because I can not do certain things with that kind of weather.
How do I know ? Because I get *icky* when there is too much sun.
It becomes unbearable (for me !!) because of the 100+ heat !
I get *icky* when there is too much wind !
Why ?? Again because, I can not do what I would like to do.
So, in short, nothing to do with *biology*.
For me, it is *in my head* !

For the OP, it may be biological, but she needs to have it professionally confirmed.
If not, then she has to adapt to the environment, and that can be a psychological problem.

If so, then again, professional help is required.

She needs to read up here:
Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) - Mayo Clinic

Old 09-21-2015, 01:26 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,902,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Only valid if the cause is *really* as what you described.
Meaning, clinically determined, not just *I feel depressed*.

So if nothing seems to help, then at least get some professional opinion, and get it *fixed*.

I get *icky* when it is cloudy and raining for a few days.
But ... , my reason is because I can not do certain things with that kind of weather.
How do I know ? Because I get *icky* when there is too much sun.
It becomes unbearable (for me !!) because of the 100+ heat !
I get *icky* when there is too much wind !
Why ?? Again because, I can not do what I would like to do.
So, in short, nothing to do with *biology*.
For me, it is *in my head* !

For the OP, it may be biological, but she needs to have it professionally confirmed.
If not, then she has to adapt to the environment, and that can be a psychological problem.

If so, then again, professional help is required.

She needs to read up here:
Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) - Mayo Clinic

I personally get it every year the combination of daylight savings time ending in my state, the decreased hours of sunshine and the three months or so of foggy weather where I live brings it on. There isn't any way to fix it only mitigate symptoms through exercise, light box, and regular sleep cycle. It isn't psychological I experience a dramatic shift in my circadium rhythm and it is directly linked to hours of sunshine. It is by no means anything close to serious depression more like the sensation of feeling less energy and less interested in other people.

Old 09-22-2015, 05:49 PM

388 posts, read 474,377 times
Take 1,000 - 2,000 units of Vitamin D every day. (I take 2K and it helps)

Perhaps you and your husband could find a cheap hotel in Spain for getaways.

Perhaps you and your husband could live in Spain and take cheap flights to Amsterdam to visit his relatives and your friends.

Perhaps you need a very mild antidepressant Rx just for 5 months a year. That way, you might be a bit sad but you won't feel as though your level of joy dropped into the Grand Canyon.

Good luck!

Old 09-24-2015, 12:29 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,729,269 times
OP, is it all about the climate? In my case (in an even darker, wetter EU land), the problems i have faced are more related to cultural differences i did not expect and initially found very hard to understand, let alone being able to adjust to them. But, yes, i too hate the weather and darkness (and the food) where I am in Northern Europe and would prefer to be back in Colorado or even New England.

It's not going to happen. I've been here for 20+ years.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:53 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,817,796 times
It's not impossible that the OP suffers from SAD, but as the thread was posted on 16 Sept, when the day is longer than the night and it's practically still summer in the Netherlands, the reasons for depression are somewhere completely else.

The best methods of dealing with SAD is light therapy, adjusting your sleep cycle to the daylight hours, physical excercise, a healthy diet (fish!), vitamin supplements and abstaining from too much alcohol.

Old 09-25-2015, 02:56 PM

659 posts, read 940,887 times
I have the opposite depression. I was born in NYC, lived two years in Romania, and stayed in NYC until 13.

Three years after moving to Arizona, I find myself increasingly depressed. the first three years didn't bother me because it felt like a long vacation. but then reality sunk in (been here 15 years and I went crazy) and I started getting SAD during the summers. Thing is, I have the WINTER SAD symptoms during the summers, which is what's weird.

Summer SAD symptoms are completely different than Winter SAD symptoms. When the days are cooler, when it's gloomy and raining, when it's winter time and 60 degrees, I'm super happy and hyper, I feel like I can climb mountains and take names.

When the heat goes above 90 degrees which is usually during April through November, I get increasingly depressed and suicidal. I don't go outside during the summer, so I often lack vitamin D. even taking vitamin D pills does nothing for me. I thrive in cold, gloomy, weather.

Holland sounds like a paradise to me. So-Cal makes my stomach lurch, I hate summers, spring I can handle but not summers. if I have to live in a hot climate, there'd better be a beach within walking distance to cool myself off (surprisingly I love the beach, I spent hours in it even in the dead of summer, can you say sunburned?).

I don't know if it matters but I was born in May. people born in the winter months usually get winter SAD and craves summers, I'm a spring girl who hates summers but love autumn, winter and the rainy season in spring.

P.s.
I'm typing this on my phone so sorry for mistakes,I'll fix it later.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:54 AM

129 posts, read 231,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabiya View Post
I have the opposite depression. I was born in NYC, lived two years in Romania, and stayed in NYC until 13.

Three years after moving to Arizona, I find myself increasingly depressed. the first three years didn't bother me because it felt like a long vacation. but then reality sunk in (been here 15 years and I went crazy) and I started getting SAD during the summers. Thing is, I have the WINTER SAD symptoms during the summers, which is what's weird.

Summer SAD symptoms are completely different than Winter SAD symptoms. When the days are cooler, when it's gloomy and raining, when it's winter time and 60 degrees, I'm super happy and hyper, I feel like I can climb mountains and take names.

When the heat goes above 90 degrees which is usually during April through November, I get increasingly depressed and suicidal. I don't go outside during the summer, so I often lack vitamin D. even taking vitamin D pills does nothing for me. I thrive in cold, gloomy, weather.

Holland sounds like a paradise to me. So-Cal makes my stomach lurch, I hate summers, spring I can handle but not summers. if I have to live in a hot climate, there'd better be a beach within walking distance to cool myself off (surprisingly I love the beach, I spent hours in it even in the dead of summer, can you say sunburned?).

I don't know if it matters but I was born in May. people born in the winter months usually get winter SAD and craves summers, I'm a spring girl who hates summers but love autumn, winter and the rainy season in spring.

P.s.
I'm typing this on my phone so sorry for mistakes,I'll fix it later.
Hey Sabiya,

I'm so sorry to hear about your summer depression. I've never heard of summer depression. I asked my Psychologist about it today and he says it does exist, but it's really rare and not common at all. It's so weird that you get many of the same symptoms as me, but during the summer. During the winter when it's cold, gloomy, dark, and rainy, , I get so depressed, have bad thoughts of myself, low self esteem, want to eat more junk, cry, no energy/motivation to do anything, super moody, want to be alone, sleep all day, don't want to go out, ect. During the sun and warmth, I feel like I can sing from the roof tops! I'm super happy, have soo much energy, want to be outside, active, feel great, ect. Warm climates to me are paradise, but cold gloomy climates like Oregon and the Netherlands are like a death sentence to me ha ha. Holland gets barely gets any sun and has not very much light during the winter. The days in the winter are really short and it gets dark early. There is also rain for weeks on end. I think you might love it here ha ha! Maybe you should consider moving back to a colder climate which is very easy too do! Almost every where in the U.S. or Europe have cold gloomy winters! It's much more difficult to find a warm environment that actually has a good economy, low crime, ect. If not, I would recommending seeing a Psychologist and getting help I know for winter depression they have light therapy. I'm not sure what they have for summer depression, but I'm sure they have something! Don't wait any longer since it's only going to get worse and nothing will change. I'm really sorry you have to go through this I know how it feels and it really is awful. I really wish you the best of luck.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:05 AM

129 posts, read 231,309 times
Hey guys!

Sorry for the super late response. I was waiting to write until I had a update I made a appointment a week ago and today was my appointment to see the Psychologist! At first I was a nervous wreck. The idea of talking to someone that can read my look a book and know so much about me by my body language, the way I talk, what I do, ect, freaked me out a lot and made me nervous. But when I meet him, he was super nice and I felt relaxed. He asked me a series of questions which took 30 minutes. I answered honestly and described everything I felt. At the end, he diagnoses me with SADS and said I followed the pattern exactly. It is unfortunate to hear I have a form of depression, but at least now I know I have it for sure and I can get help. He told me a lot of people from warmer climates suffer from SADS when they move to a cold, gloomy, rainy country. This Monday I start light therapy! I need to go back 5 days a week, for 30 minutes each day. Then at the end of the week (Friday), were going to evaluate my progress and see how I feel. I'm not sure what happens if everything is good. Maybe I continue with the therapy for another week, or do I then buy a light therapy lamp? The weather all this week in Holland has been sunny and great! So I've been feeling so alive and happy! It was weird talking about winter depression when I felt so good! Next week is suppose to be back to being gloomy and rainy unfortunately. So I'm really happy to be starting the therapy. But I wonder if now is the right time to start it since it's only the beginning of October. Wouldn't it be better to start it later? But maybe it's better to start the therapy before it actually happens. I'm not sure, but I trust my psychologist since he's experienced in this. Wish me luck everyone! I am nervous
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe