Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 10:11 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,184,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
I would guess that there aren't many Europeans who have tried it, compared to North Americans, and that it's probably harder to get (or more expensive?).

Canada has so many wilderness areas where it can be grown without drawing attention, so there's always many cheap sources for it. It'd be difficult to grow in Europe and get away with it, I'd guess.

Fewer people partaking = less demand in Europe?

I saw an article somewhere that said Australia has one of the world's highest marijuana consumption rates, like Canada, and I assume that's for much the same reason--there'd be many remote places to grow a cheap supply.
It is quite common, but why should the average person try it? The price for 1 gram is around 100-150 NOK (15-23 CAD). That is fairly inexpensive. Most of the marijuana sold in Europe is produced in Marrocco. The police have busted several marijuana farms here in Norway. The country has large areas of rural land and desolated farms (not compared to Canada, of course).

There is a certain stigma attached to marijuana users here.

I do not want to be associated with these guys (the annual marijuana in Oslo):

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 10:30 AM

3,423 posts, read 4,365,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
It is quite common, but why should the average person try it? The price for 1 gram is around 100-150 NOK (15-23 CAD). That is fairly inexpensive. Most of the marijuana sold in Europe is produced in Marrocco. The police have busted several marijuana farms here in Norway. The country has large areas of rural land and desolated farms (not compared to Canada, of course).

I do not want to be associated with these guys (the annual marijuana in Oslo):
I think that's around double the cost compared to Canada.

The stigma is funny.... there's no such stigma attached to beer and wine in Europe. Which strangely enough, is just half the price compared to what we pay in Canada. A cheap bottle of wine in Canada is about $12 (6 Euro)... Wine and beer and liquor are all sold by stores owned and operated by provincial governments here, and alcohol is highly taxed. If the same thing happens to marijuana, it'll probably cost twice as much -- around what you pay for it, I would think.

Old 10-24-2015, 10:35 AM

10,641 posts, read 16,025,322 times
Quote:
Most of the marijuana sold in Europe is produced in Marrocco.
The hash yes but not the weed.

Old 10-24-2015, 10:41 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,184,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
I think that's around double the cost compared to Canada.

The stigma is funny.... there's no such stigma attached to beer and wine in Europe. Which strangely enough, is just half the price compared to what we pay in Canada. A cheap bottle of wine in Canada is about $12 (6 Euro)... Wine and beer and liquor are all sold by stores owned and operated by provincial governments here, and alcohol is highly taxed. If the same thing happens to marijuana, it'll probably cost twice as much -- around what you pay for it, I would think.
Alcohol is widely accepted in all Western countries. It is also extremely expensive here in Norway.

Beer price index

Old 10-24-2015, 10:43 AM

3,423 posts, read 4,365,968 times
Quote:
Alcohol is widely accepted in all Western countries. It is also extremely expensive here in Norway.

Beer price index
I'm shocked at the price of beer in Oslo! Free the beer!

Old 10-24-2015, 11:18 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,799,193 times
Yes, the issue surfaces once in a while, as unlike in many countries in Europe, cannabis is strictly illegal in Finland. The police gets overwhelmed with bureaucracy handing out small fines for possession or use, while in some countries like the UK it's technically legal. The police have to use a lot of resources just raiding some small-ball 2-plant 'gardens'. Also the fact that you get a criminal record is seemed often as too harsh if you grow a couple of plants for personal use.

Yet there aren't any wide popular support for legalising or decriminalising cannabis, and politicians generally avoid the matter rigorously. After all, there's still a big stigma conserning the issue, as up to the mid 90's Finland had among the lowest amount of drug-users in Europe, and is still well below the European average. Many experts believe though that after 2020 cannabis will most likely be decriminalised.

The amount of people growing has exploded in the last 10 years or so. Technically Finland is today self-reliant on cannabis, and the police have said that you could put a label 'Made in Finland' for almost all marijuana confiscated.

I think that possession and growing for personal use should be decriminalised and we'll go from there. The police would be free to focus on the criminal organisations selling all kinds of drugs and making huge profits, and the average Matti enjoying a casual joint would be left in peace.

Old 10-24-2015, 06:27 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times
Quote:

Among younger people in much of the US (and I'd assume Canada), especially the more educated, there is more of a stigma of regular cigarette smoking than occasional marijuana use.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:04 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,982,374 times
I don't think it is a good ideal to leagalise it unless it is for medical reasons. It due to experiences I had and seen others that are f***** up. Besides marijuana is more potent than a long time ago.

Yet when I first tried it I thought the medical reports against it were false and thought it was a right wing conspiracy. Yet it can damaging implications that affect the brain especially if the brain is not fully developed into adulthood.

Last edited by other99; 10-24-2015 at 07:15 PM..

Old 10-24-2015, 09:09 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,342,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Among younger people in much of the US (and I'd assume Canada), especially the more educated, there is more of a stigma of regular cigarette smoking than occasional marijuana use.
Frankly, I think it's rather weird to compare those two drugs. Yes, the first one can make you seriously sick, but why should you glorify the other one? It's just like praising alcohol all the time. IMO you have a serious problem when you do so.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:41 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,440,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
The percentage of (younger) people I know who tried it is fairly high. The cost of a gram isn't ridiculously high either (~€10). Also, it's fairly easy to buy, if you know where to look for it.

I smoke some every odd month or so when I'm in Austria, but frankly, the effect isn't very appealing to me. Don't quite understand the fuzz about it.
I feel like all young people from Europe have smoked it(judging from the Erasmus students I know) back in their own countries. You'd be the odd one if you have never had at least a drag.

Oh and btw we bought 10 grams from a coffee shop a few weeks ago and it was only €50! I guess weeds are indeed cheaper in the NL.

Last edited by Greysholic; 10-26-2015 at 01:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe