Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 04:16 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,078,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
^I think the street looks clean enough.
Depends on what standard you have, but a street like that would not be accepted in Stockholm city centre. And remember this is not a worst case example.

Here is another example
https://www.google.no/maps/@55.70723...7i13312!8i6656

Grafitti is there like normal, the grass and the bushes is not cut, and garbage is lying around at the edges. Due to this, Copenhagen doesn't look as pretty as Stockholm.

Last edited by Camlon; 11-04-2015 at 04:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 06:47 AM

602 posts, read 496,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Depends on what standard you have, but a street like that would not be accepted in Stockholm city centre. And remember this is not a worst case example.

Here is another example
https://www.google.no/maps/@55.70723...7i13312!8i6656

Grafitti is there like normal, the grass and the bushes is not cut, and garbage is lying around at the edges. Due to this, Copenhagen doesn't look as pretty as Stockholm.
I haven't seen any overflowing garbage cans in Copenhagen, Stockholm or Oslo for that matter, but why only mention it, when you can show it on Google maps? Should be possible to find overflowing garbage cans, when it is an issue that needs mentioning.
Also, if the garbage was picked up by birds, then it cannot possibly be a real issue.

The link you posted, was made by a Dane who is angry about littering in Denmark, so your own arguements regarding my links can be used just as well regarding yours . Oh and, the reason why there are so many articles about littering in Stockholm, is because it is a real pressing issue unlike in Copenhagen where few talk about it, because the city is clean as a whistle- see what I did there?

I agree with the interviewee on the architect website (who is female and Norwegian btw).

Regarding the first picture you posted (the picture of Sommerstedgade). It runs parallel with Skelbæksgade, which is the street where all the deeply desperate drug addicsts prostitute. It is literally (along with Istedgade which is ~ 100 meters away) the throbbing sphincter of Copenhagen. You weren't supposed to find the "worst case scenario", you were supposed to find representational scenarios. That said, I agree with Greysholic. I think it looks like a decent and average street in Vesterbro. With a lot of graffiti though, I will give you that.

The second picture you posted is from where Ringvejen "O2" (which is basically a highway) meets Ã…rhusgade. But yeah fine, the municipality of Copenhagen may not prioritize these areas that high when it comes to sanitization, because people only drive past them in cars - just like in Stockholm.

Example from Stockholm (also, notice the graffiti):
https://www.google.dk/maps/place/Sto...9d7766!6m1!1e1

Here's a few pictures from Stockholm:
Railroad station with trash among the tracks (I don't get why you keep bringing this up, isn't railways almost always littered with trash? I kinda expect that anywhere in the world):
https://www.google.dk/maps/@59.36148...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Littering/Trash:
https://www.google.dk/maps/@59.34451...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.dk/maps/@59.33895...8i6656!6m1!1e1

I could go on.

I do actually agree with you that Stockholm is prettier than Copenhagen, but not because of littering - a strange claim, to say the least.Copenhagen is also very pretty. I have a feeling that Helsinki is on the same level as Stockholm above Copenhagen as the geography is sort of the same as in Stockholm (and because of its architectural diversity), but I have never been to Helsinki, so I can't know. It really only is boring Oslo that is the odd one out, but that is okay: Norway have plenty of other beautiful cities all over the country.

Last edited by TheDentist; 11-04-2015 at 07:02 AM..

Old 11-04-2015, 07:41 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,065,890 times
All of these pictures look pretty normal for me for the "western world" when it comes to urban cleanliness.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:44 AM

602 posts, read 496,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
All of these pictures look pretty normal for me for the "western world" when it comes to urban cleanliness.
I agree.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:53 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,830,170 times
All cities are extremely clean on any standards, so I don't know what the fuss is all about.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:23 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,384,442 times
Guys, please don't turn this thread into a "trash" talk.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:50 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,078,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDentist View Post
I haven't seen any overflowing garbage cans in Copenhagen,
And this shows how biased you are. Overflowing garbage cans is a serious issue in Copenhagen, and anyone who has walked in the city center has seen it.

They even had a woman make garbage tube, to reduce this problem.
http://classiccopenhagen.blogspot.no/p/test-tubes.html
http://www.citylab.com/design/2012/0...fee-cups/1946/
But sure, you have never seen a overflowing garbage bin in Copenhagen.

My experience is that Copenhagen is a less ordered city, with more garbage and grafitti problems. Those pictures you gave me of Sweden, tell the same story. I don't see the problem with picture 1, looks better than most intersections in Denmark, or even in Sweden. The other pictures doesn't seem too bad either. And I am not saying Copenhagen is a place with garbage everywhere, but it is not as clean as Stockholm.

I have no interest joining your picture war, because I don't have the time or interest to look for bad areas in Copenhagen. I am telling you my experience is that Copenhagen is not as clean or orderly as Stockholm. Garbage is one of the problems, not the main problem. Other problems is glass not getting cleaned, lack of maintenance, grafitti, vandalism, and grass/plants not getting trimmed. This leads to Copenhagen becoming a less pretty city compared to Stockholm.

Quote:
Also, if the garbage was picked up by birds, then it cannot possibly be a real issue.
It didn't get picked up by birds, they just look for the good bits. The rest went away over time due to wind, and possibly rain.

But what suprised me the most, is that the government didn't come and clean it up. That is why things do not look as orderly, because they lack workers to maintain things.

Quote:
I agree with the interviewee on the architect website (who is female and Norwegian btw).

It really only is boring Oslo that is the odd one out, but that is okay: Norway have plenty of other beautiful cities all over the country.
She claimed Oslo is boring/ugly because the government doesn't plan new developments.

So you think these areas are boring/ugly?

Last edited by Camlon; 11-04-2015 at 09:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe