Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 10:46 AM

134 posts, read 162,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
France needs to examine this, instead of screaming that the descendants of people who arrived 60 years ago are still immigrants.
BINGO

This is the winning statement

You cannot bring millions of workers into your country and expect them to be subservient, and be ok with second class citizen status, and expect their descendants to just take it!

Integration is a two way street

If the French don't want ghettos, segregation (which they apparently don't) then they need to start being more fair to their minorities!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 10:49 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,550,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Mohammed is not a French name. Don't be daft. None of the terrorists had a French background.

So if a kid who is born in France, and who has parents who were born in France, and who has grandparents who were born in France, and is told that he isn't French. And then folks like you scream that he hates France. No wonder!

Old 11-16-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I have no idea. What does this have to do with what I wrote?

Well to you the great grand kid of the Algerian isn't French either, so you don't see any difference between him and a Syrian refugee, who is still unpacking his bags.

I wonder. Is Sarkozy French? That is NOT a French name! Or is it only whites who can assimilate. Come on expose your bigotry, as I suspect that you are one of these American right wing extremists.

Old 11-16-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fagrance View Post
BINGO

You cannot bring millions of workers into your country and expect them to be subservient, and be ok with second class citizen status, and expect their descendants to just take it!

If the French don't want ghettos, segregation (which they apparently don't) then they need to start being more fair to their minorities!

This is why your African doctor, nurse, engineer, goes to the USA, Canada, or the UK, while the street sweeper goes to France.

Old 11-16-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It is true that quite a few people like him who were born in France and are citizens do not feel French, but there are other people with names like Zinedine Zidane, Jamel Debbouze, Nagui Fam, etc. who do feel French.

People shouldn't be judged based on their names. They should be judged on what they do.

So unless they become celebrities, they cannot be French?

Old 11-16-2015, 10:58 AM

749 posts, read 857,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
And here is the problem with France. How can some one, whose GRANDPARENTS comes from another country, and whose culture reflects the neighborhood where he lives, be an immigrant?

You do know that we don't have the grand kids of Arab immigrant creating havoc in the suburbs of Detroit, which has a large Arab population. Why is this a problem in France?
Well probably because in order for a category to exist, each items making it up need to be fairly similiar. North Africans look different than mainstream French people and have a different culture. A white person born and raised in say China, Korea or Japan will never be fully consider Chinese, Korean or Japanese.
In the US too, despite what many might say, if someone presents itself with a last name not sounding WASP people will wonder where they are "really from".

Old 11-16-2015, 11:03 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,418,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Well, frankly I'm feeling SLIGHTLY douchebaggish for starting such a thread targeting France in a moment like that, but I think it's more constructive than the 10th+ thread titled "pray for France", so on.

I mean, the argument goes like this:

"We should not let refugees since they're terrorists". Later, it turns out that it's not refugees, nor immigrants but people who are 100% French. Even if they're Muslims and having Algerian grandparents, then how are you going to define "French" if not as someone who has a French passport? Are the British Indians: non-British or the Asian-Americans: non-Americans?

Your nationality is only determined by what's written on your passport.
Don't be upset. There are tons of actual douche-bags here on CD and they are not wasting a moment on remorse. It is really cruel to say I don't care, but I'm not French and I don't know anyone who was there and this is the internet...so there you go. It is horrible, but I'm not crying or sad...Sorry to be honest.

BTW the native French are very nasty to the north African people who live in France. Even those who are born there. Even if they are famous for being rude to outsiders and thinking highly of themselves, I think it would make sense for them to be just as courteous to people who choose to live in their country. Especially if there are sensitive issues and there are religious zealots cohabiting there.

Of course there is no good excuse for killing and maiming a bunch of people and then killing yourself like a coward... Now life will such even more for ppl who live in France, I guess. What are they going to do now? I'd suspect that they will try to take away citizens' rights as a result of the massacre like they did in the US after 911. And a lot of people will have more hate and distrust for one another.

This sucks for France. I also agree you have to be REALLY CAREFUL who you let into your country, but yeah of course the people who are already there can be totally batsh!t crazy killers, as well. And as much as people try to tell, you can't tell who is going to be a crazy killer very easily. Is this some kind of thing that happens more often if the population is large enough?

Old 11-16-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
Well probably because in order for a category to exist, each items making it up need to be fairly similiar. North Africans look different than mainstream French people and have a different culture. A white person born and raised in say China, Korea or Japan will never be fully consider Chinese, Korean or Japanese.
In the US too, despite what many might say, if someone presents itself with a last name not sounding WASP people will wonder where they are "really from".

Funny thing about this. I am a black Caribbean person. Caribbean accent, mannerisms and culture which instantly mark me as a Caribbean person to most New Yorkers.

Yet many also see me as an "American", because I have integrated into this country by working, voting, being able to discuss issues about this country, etc. I speak of NYC, and this is true for most major cities on the Coasts. Cannot talk about the interior.

This is why the USA gets the highly educated immigrant, and France gets less of it.

One cannot have a heritage of colonialism, invade other societies, and disrupt their lives, exalt the virtues of France, and then demand that France must remain culturally monolithic when these ex colonials show up.

The UK went through their stage, and reluctantly accepted that the old definition of "Britishness" is all but gone. Not that they don't have their issues, but seriously France needs to take a look at them. Yes they still have some work to do with the immigrant generation, but they have made significant progress in accepting the UK born descendants.

As to asking where some one is from, what's wrong with that? When asked I PROUDLY say where I am from. That is different than being told that generations of life in a society must mean that one will never be accepted as being part of that society.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:10 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,301,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fagrance View Post
BINGO

my thoughts exactly

Old 11-16-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
This sucks for France. I also agree you have to be REALLY CAREFUL who you let into your country?

So where will the USA deport all its mass murderers to. Most are descended from people who have lived there for generations, and I suspect derive from immigration from the much revered British Isles.

The point is that nut cases are nut cases and there is no more excuse for innocent peoples to be stigmatized, because they share an ethnicity with the nutcase, anymore than there is for what ever nutty reason the nutcase gave for killing innocent people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe