Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 08:04 AM

218 posts, read 199,343 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, this is my first post here
I see you're talking a lot about politics here but I'm not a fan of these heated debates so my first thread will be about something I liked

I'm not Belgian but French, I worked in Brussels for a 6-months internship. I didn't see a thread dedicated to this city so I decided to do it because it deserves it IMO. After all it's the capital of the EU, of Belgium and NATO has its headquarters there, it yields a strong influence in Europe.

I wasn't used to big-city lifestyle, I lived in smaller places most of my life so it was new and somewhat refreshing. I was impressed by the European feeling, there are so many people from all Europe living there, it's pretty dynamic even it's not London that's for sure Of course you have people from everywhere as well, not just Europe, I met Americans, Chinese, Canadians, Kurds...

As a whole it's both cosmopolitan and mid-sized, and downtown is beautiful The Atomium was quite cool
You should taste their wonderful chocolates

Brussels has 175,000 inhabitants in a metro area of 1.8 million and an urban area of 2.9 million.

This is some pics :

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 08:32 AM

Old 01-21-2016, 10:07 AM

Nobody here visited it? Give your opinion
I really advise you to give it a try

Old 01-21-2016, 10:49 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,652,587 times
Nice pics. I was there 30 years ago just for a day. Always intended to go back, but haven't managed it yet.
I'm surprised that the city itself is only 175,000. It's not just the chocolates, the beer is great too.

Old 01-21-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
Nice pics. I was there 30 years ago just for a day. Always intended to go back, but haven't managed it yet.
I'm surprised that the city itself is only 175,000. It's not just the chocolates, the beer is great too.
Wow, 30 years ago, I wasn't even born It certainly changed a lot since then
Yes the city in itself is not very populated but the metro area is the most important here anyway given everyone comes there from the suburbs for having fun and work, thanks to a solid public transportation it's really easy to commute

You should try it again

Oh and by the way, just a downside : don't go in Molenbeek, it's a kind of Muslim ghetto, I went there for a short amount of time and it was so gloomy and oppressive, just be careful guys

Old 01-21-2016, 12:06 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,797,212 times
So what is it you want to discuss? Brussels?

IMO that is one of the larger cities which was totally raped by the Le Corbusier -style modernist thinking. A medieval city transformed into a huge network of autobahns.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post

IMO that is one of the larger cities which was totally raped by the Le Corbusier -style modernist thinking. A medieval city transformed into a huge network of autobahns.
Not really, I just loved it there and wanting to share it And encourage people giving it a try given it's famous but not trendy like Paris, London or even Berlin.

And I'd like to see what people feel about it here

Old 01-21-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:

As for the Autobahn I didn't feel it because I didn't use a car, you can do well without it believe me

Old 01-21-2016, 12:36 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,797,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDenizen View Post
Not really, I just loved it there and wanting to share it And encourage people giving it a try given it's famous but not trendy like Paris, London or even Berlin.

And I'd like to see what people feel about it here
Ok, nice that you like it there, especially as you said that it was your first time experiencing city living. But as a whole I wouldn't classify Brussels at all as an attractive city to visit. What is there looking at this: https://www.google.fi/maps/@50.83915...7i13312!8i6656

Just a stone-throw from the city centre.

Nice photos BTW, I like them. Hope they are yours.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Ok, nice that you like it there, especially as you said that it was your first time experiencing city living. But as a whole I wouldn't classify Brussels at all as an attractive city to visit. What is there looking at this: https://www.google.fi/maps/@50.83915...7i13312!8i6656

Just a stone-throw from the city centre.

Nice photos BTW, I like them. Hope they are yours.
They're not mine, thanks Google The pic you show is quite unfair, it's dark and random..All cities have places like that I visited downtown Brussels so many times last summer, it was much more beautiful than that, more similar to the pics in my first posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe