Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 04:53 AM
cup

15 posts, read 15,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Yes, Sweden has Gotland, Abiskio, Liseberg, and so on, but I think they all pales in comparison to Norwegian tourist attractions like Lofoten, Nordkapp, Bergen, Geiranger, Trolltunga, Preikestolen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzjjwDJ0cq0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 05:27 AM

4,956 posts, read 3,319,465 times
See Visit Norway - Official Travel Guide to Norway - visitnorway.com I used to travel to Oslo and Bergen a few times but this was some years ago. Vigeland sculpture park in Oslo is worth a visit. Somewhere near it was an open air how people used to live park/museum I do not remember the name.
Bergen also has some tourist things to visit see visitnorway. When we where there on our first 2 travels we used to take public transport and go the full route to view neighbourhoods sort of sightseeing. Later on we travelled on trips with car so then we used to drive Oslo to Bergen and further northwards up to Buskerud province. The south of Norway area near Arendal is also very nice. See also Travel Guide to Norway

Old 01-24-2016, 07:47 AM
cup

15 posts, read 15,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusPetersson View Post
And also cause Oslo was not a national capital until 1814 and had very little international importance and it was not until 1905 that Norway became truly independent. Meanwhile, Stockholm and Copenhagen was capitals of 2 mighty kingdoms, European superpowers at the time, they are larger and has a more rich history and preserved old town sections.

Much of Sweden is almost as flat as Denmark, the entire Baltic Coast (and really the Kattegat coast in the west as well) is flat as a pancake just like Denmark but with more trees. If you want any terrain that is out of the ordinary in Sweden you have to hike far into Lapland in north-westernmost Sweden, while in Norway you can get to even far more impressive looking areas with flights, major roads and public transport.
Why all the dislike for Oslo? Aren't Oslo sort of like being flooded with swedes!?! Rumour has it that only poles are more represented in Oslo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbWuhyujhP4

Old 01-24-2016, 11:10 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,369,707 times
Oslo probably has a few days worth of stuff to see, but I don't think any city in Norway is truly exciting or jam packed like London or Paris. It is a small country with a very rural culture until after WWII.

If you like Viking, medieval, and maritime culture/museums, some art (Vigeland, Munch), and walking in the hills or sailing, you can easily spend a week in Oslo. You will be penniless by the end of it if you do not buy your meals carefully, though.

Old 01-24-2016, 02:08 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,220,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
i can't help but reply in an ironic way when someone is so influenced by alarmist US media.
I normally don't even read/watch/listen to US news outlets besides NPR. I mostly read BBC News which, if anything, is far more liberal-leaning. Everything indicates that the migration is not over with and the situation remains quite volatile. Unless the BBC is lying? It might have died down somewhat due to the winter but I would assume once the weather warms up there will again be mass movements of people. I'm certainly not going to plan a trip to the epicenter of the situation (Germany) during a peak migration season.

Old 01-24-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Who eats pork in Norway, anyway?

Stavanger, OP. Check it out online.

You're flying all the way over there just for 8 days? Why? There's so much to see....
Stavanger looks really cool actually. I may fit that in. Yes, only 8 days. I can't get more time off work this year and have a December trip also planned, and for some reason a lot of friends and family have decided to get married this year so lots of weddings to go to. Otherwise I would take a longer trip. And plus this will be my first (likely) solo trip, so I don't want to be gone too long...

Last edited by Bluefox; 01-24-2016 at 02:22 PM..

Old 01-24-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Oslo probably has a few days worth of stuff to see, but I don't think any city in Norway is truly exciting or jam packed like London or Paris. It is a small country with a very rural culture until after WWII.

If you like Viking, medieval, and maritime culture/museums, some art (Vigeland, Munch), and walking in the hills or sailing, you can easily spend a week in Oslo. You will be penniless by the end of it if you do not buy your meals carefully, though.
Yeah, that's really what I'm into. I like Viking/Scandinavian history and I'm not a fan of really huge crowds of people so midsized cities in Europe I tend to gravitate to. Do you know how prices are compared to a place like Zurich? I was utterly shocked at how expensive everything was there; I'm assuming Oslo is similar. I have noticed that the dollar is getting stronger compared to their currency but who knows if that will still be the case in May.

Old 01-24-2016, 02:17 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,560,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Be kind and say as-salamu alaykum when entering shops. Then the locals are usually quite friendly. Also, pork meat is basically a taboo now in Europe and specifically in Norway. People can get quite offended when you don't stick to those cultural norms, but you should be totally fine when following the very basics of Shariah Law.
Bhahahah

Old 01-24-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusPetersson View Post
Oslo is a quite boring town, nothing special about it, reminds me of Gothenburg which is at similar size and also quite dull in my opinion. Unlike in Sweden and Denmark (where Copenhagen and Stockholm is the nr. 1 must see), the captial is not the highlight of Norway by any means, Oslo is just an average European small sized city. Visit the west coast instead, or the north, for the real Norway.
I was thinking about fitting a visit in to Stockholm or Copenhagen but I didn't want to squeeze too much into a short trip. Is it fairly quick to fly to those cities?

Old 01-24-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys52SoSilver View Post
See Visit Norway - Official Travel Guide to Norway - visitnorway.com I used to travel to Oslo and Bergen a few times but this was some years ago. Vigeland sculpture park in Oslo is worth a visit. Somewhere near it was an open air how people used to live park/museum I do not remember the name.
Bergen also has some tourist things to visit see visitnorway. When we where there on our first 2 travels we used to take public transport and go the full route to view neighbourhoods sort of sightseeing. Later on we travelled on trips with car so then we used to drive Oslo to Bergen and further northwards up to Buskerud province. The south of Norway area near Arendal is also very nice. See also Travel Guide to Norway
Thanks, I'll check these out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe