Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 02:38 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,194,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I was thinking about fitting a visit in to Stockholm or Copenhagen but I didn't want to squeeze too much into a short trip. Is it fairly quick to fly to those cities?
Yes, but it is going to cost at least 900 NOK for a round trip from Oslo to Sthlm (60 min) and 1,000 NOK from Oslo to Copenhagen (75 min).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Stavanger looks really cool actually. I may fit that in. Yes, only 8 days. I can't get more time off work this year and have a December trip also planned, and for some reason a lot of friends and family have decided to get married this year so lots of weddings to go to. Otherwise I would take a longer trip. And plus this will be my first (likely) solo trip, so I don't want to be gone too long...
Stavanger is not that interesting, but Preikestolen is a day trip from city.

Old 01-24-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that's really what I'm into. I like Viking/Scandinavian history and I'm not a fan of really huge crowds of people so midsized cities in Europe I tend to gravitate to. Do you know how prices are compared to a place like Zurich? I was utterly shocked at how expensive everything was there; I'm assuming Oslo is similar. I have noticed that the dollar is getting stronger compared to their currency but who knows if that will still be the case in May.
The Norwegian currency is very weak at the moment.

January 2014:
USD-NOK: 6.16

22 January 2016:
USD-NOK: 8.76

Some examples:

Hotel in Oslo, 2 adults, 1,300 NOK per night
2014: 211 USD
2016: 148 USD

0.5l beer, 80 NOK
2014: 12.98 USD
2016: 9.13

Yes, it still very expensive, but less so than before.

Old 01-24-2016, 03:19 PM

990 posts, read 1,944,855 times
Quote:
I was thinking about fitting a visit in to Stockholm or Copenhagen but I didn't want to squeeze too much into a short trip. Is it fairly quick to fly to those cities?
There is a really good and fast train connection between the Oslo Central Station and Stockholm Central Station. It takes only 4 and a half hours, and may cost as little as $23 one way.

Both the Stockholm airport and the Oslo airport are very far from the cities, while the train from Oslo to Stockholm takes you directly to the city center, for half the price. The trains departs several times each day. You purchase the tickets at the station, very smooth and easy, from either the counter or the ticket machines. Or you can pre-book them from sj.se. I would strongly recommend this over flying, its 4 and a half hours but you won't have to spend time and money on getting to and from airports or having to be 40 minutes or an hour prior to departure on both airports. And its much cheaper with train. Stockholm is the biggest Scandinavian capital, and also the cheapest one to be in when it comes to food, drink and hotels/hostels. Many of the major museums has free entry!*

You can also get from Oslo to Copenhagen with train, but there you have to change in Gothenburg before going to Copenhagen directly. Thats considerably more expensive and takes alot longer, about 8 hours and costs $88 one way. So for Copenhagen I would recommend flight.

*Armémuseum (Army Museum)
Etnografiska museet (Ethnographic Museum)
Hallwylska museet
Historiska museet (Museum of History)
Kungliga myntkabinettet
Livrustkammaren
Medelhavsmuseet (Mediterranean Museum)
Moderna museet (Modern Museum)
Nationalmuseum (The Swedish National Museum of Fine Arts)
Naturhistoriska riksmuseet (Museum of Natural History)
Sjöhistoriska museet (Maritime History Museum)
Skoklosters slott
Statens centrum för arkitektur och design
Östasiatiska museet (East Asian Museum)

Last edited by Helsingborgaren; 01-24-2016 at 03:37 PM..

Old 01-24-2016, 03:22 PM

990 posts, read 1,944,855 times
If you want a really cheap ticket from Oslo to Stockholm and back again, check the Best Buy Calender on sj.se (SJ is the Swedish national train operator), where you can pre-book it. The prices are displayed in Swedish kronor:

SJ.se - Travel By Train - A Good Environmental Choice - Home

Old 01-26-2016, 11:25 AM

2 posts, read 1,629 times
It's really easy to get around wherever in the cities using public transport like bus and such. Don't buy taxi because that is expensive. I would recommend you to not stay for that long in Oslo because that's like any other city. There are many things to see in Bergen but not so much in Oslo because it's mostly just buildings. I would recommend to visit the southern cities (Kristiansand, Grimstad, Mandal) because they are very cosy. Also you should experience the northern cities (Honningsvåg, Sarnes) with the plateau landscape and beautiful nature.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango555 View Post
It's really easy to get around wherever in the cities using public transport like bus and such. Don't buy taxi because that is expensive. I would recommend you to not stay for that long in Oslo because that's like any other city. There are many things to see in Bergen but not so much in Oslo because it's mostly just buildings. I would recommend to visit the southern cities (Kristiansand, Grimstad, Mandal) because they are very cosy. Also you should experience the northern cities (Honningsvåg, Sarnes) with the plateau landscape and beautiful nature.
It is pretty expensive to travel from Oslo to Honningsvåg. A one-way plane ticket from Oslo cost $200. It is 1,947 km (1,209 mi) by car.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:43 PM

2 posts, read 1,946 times
If you like Vikings and history, while in Oslo, bus 30 will take you to Norsk Folkemuseum, The Viking ships and Heyerdahl's Kon Tiki. And afterwards take the little ferry back to Oslo and Aker brygge (dock). Then you buy shrimps and baguettes, and eat and watch the ocean, the boats, the seagulls and the natives :-)

Old 02-10-2016, 01:22 PM

3,600 posts, read 2,694,971 times
As a native norwegian, I would recommend the Viking Ship Museum in Oslo, it's a must if you have any interest in history and Vikings. Kon-Tiki museum and Vigeland Sculpture Park are also worth a visit.
Then I would recommend Bergen over Stavanger. Bergen is the "hub" of many nice excursions, and I like the vibe of the city. Also, Bergen has mountains and Fløibanen funicular. Off course near Stavanger is Prekestolen, a very nice hike, I've been there. Also been at Kjerag.Trip to Kjerag

And off course Trondheim is not a bad choice if you are into history. Trondheim (Nidaros) was maybe the most important area in Norway in the early Viking age, and today the largest cathedral in Norway is situated there. https://norwaytravelguide.no/city-gu...e-to-trondheim

Nature wise, the mountains and fjords near Bergen or midway between Oslo and Bergen are really worth a visit, if you like nature panorama.
Mountain ranges are almost everywhere except near Oslofjord. This is Trollheimen near Trondheim:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trollheimen

Not to forget, the northernmost part of the country is unique. In late May/early June there is midnight sun, so 24-hr of daylight. Often cooler than the south at that time of year, bring sweater and jacket.
Imaging getting nice weather and doing a hike up to mt Reinebringen in Lofoten in the midnight sun! https://eevamakinen.com/2014/08/14/mount-reinebringen/

Tromsø is an easy 1 hr 40 min flight from Oslo, many daily connections so can get an OK price. Several good hotels in Tromsø, which for it's size has a much more international vibe than you would expect for town of 60,000 people well inside the Arctic City, due to University and science institutions etc. https://snl.no/Troms%C3%B8

Last edited by Jakobsli; 02-10-2016 at 01:36 PM..

Old 02-10-2016, 03:23 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari2120 View Post
If you like Vikings and history, while in Oslo, bus 30 will take you to Norsk Folkemuseum, The Viking ships and Heyerdahl's Kon Tiki. And afterwards take the little ferry back to Oslo and Aker brygge (dock). Then you buy shrimps and baguettes, and eat and watch the ocean, the boats, the seagulls and the natives :-)
These sound great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe