Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 09:01 AM
cup

15 posts, read 15,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingen View Post
They sell sliced, packaged bread in Norway too, but not as much as in the US. Many make their own bread still at home.

Personally, I dont like Norwegian bread that much, and the variety is very limited.
Norway and less variety is just a meme probably made up by some shi*thead. In Norway you can also find food and softdrink products which is made in other nordic countries, and even as far away as USA too, like for example Snapple.

Sweden is the land of less variety, only swedish products are sold there more or less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 10:18 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,220,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusPetersson View Post
No no those are Swedish museums in Stockholm, you read it wrong, not Copenhagen
Oh, I see.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:42 PM

401 posts, read 534,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cup View Post
Norway and less variety is just a meme probably made up by some shi*thead. In Norway you can also find food and softdrink products which is made in other nordic countries, and even as far away as USA too, like for example Snapple.

Sweden is the land of less variety, only swedish products are sold there more or less.
Never been abroad? Norwegian food stores remind me mostly of Eastern European food stores in the 80s.
Most home-produced goods are sub-par and protected by import taxed. Main focus is to keep an agricultural sector alive close to the polar circle, not give the population a variety of choice, price or quality.

Norwegians mostly eat finished produced minced products, and very little fresh products. Surprisingly even sea-food is mostly packed and processed in China or somewhere.

The largest producer of pizza, Grandiosa, tastes like cardboard with cheap cheese spread all over.

People dont go to Norway for culinary experiences.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:54 PM
cup

Quote:
Never been abroad? Norwegian food stores remind me mostly of Eastern European food stores in the 80s.
Most home-produced goods are sub-par and protected by import taxed. Main focus is to keep an agricultural sector alive close to the polar circle, not give the population a variety of choice, price or quality.

Norwegians mostly eat finished produced minced products, and very little fresh products. Surprisingly even sea-food is mostly packed and processed in China or somewhere.

The largest producer of pizza, Grandiosa, tastes like cardboard with cheap cheese spread all over.

People dont go to Norway for culinary experiences.
You don't find norwegian icecream in any nordic country. You will find danish and swedish icecream in Norway, there are even swedish bread sold in Norway. Candy from all of Europe are sold in Norway too, and the list goes on.

Old 02-14-2016, 03:08 PM
cup

Quote:
Don't blame others for you being poor and have to buy all your food on Rema1000 stores. Ordinary people buy all their food on Meny stores, while all the poor people complain about how expensive it is there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPdvz5F8WhA

It must suck being poor doing all the shopping on Rema1000

Old 02-14-2016, 03:19 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,192,804 times
Quote:
Don't blame others for you being poor and have to buy all your food on Rema1000 stores. Ordinary people buy all their food on Meny stores, while all the poor people complain about how expensive it is there.

Ok? Meny is not that great, actually. Do you work for Norgesgruppen? I dislike all the major chains. They are all about profit.

Old 02-21-2016, 03:32 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,391,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys52SoSilver View Post
Vigeland sculpture park in Oslo is worth a visit.
Oh yes, definitely worth the visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Stavanger is not that interesting, but Preikestolen is a day trip from city.
I found this thread by doing a search for Preikestolen. I am going to do the hike this year. Just cannot decide on April or October.

I am rather shocked by some of the responses on here. I have travel a lot and I absolutely loved Norway. Maybe it was the time of year. I went in the Winter. My son and I met up there. We happened to be there when the 2011 Nordic Ski World Championships was going on---it was such a party in the City of Olso. After the first night he went off to a International Ice Climbing Festival in Rjukan and had a blast. I meanwhile took Kongsberg that was having a Winter Festival then came back to Oslo. The next day I walked around town and found the Noble Peace Center then went over to the Viking Ship Museum. We met back up and did the Fjord Tour that took us on an amazing adventure through many towns, the amazing Flam Railway, a boat through the Fjords (absolutely breath taking) and ending up in Bergen. It still continues to be one of my favorite trips.

I am slowly planning my trip to Norway to hike Preikestolen. I cannot wait to go back.

Old 02-21-2016, 04:26 PM

401 posts, read 534,844 times
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPdvz5F8WhA

Poor? I have more money than time, and probably twice as much as you...but I still hate to shop and waste my money in food stores where the quality is crap.

Meny, COOP, Bunnpris, Rema1000..they are all crap..compared to continental Europe or the US. But Norwegians are happy, they think this is the way it is supposed to be..

I would rather pay more for quality and variety than cheap crappy food.

Old 05-25-2016, 05:35 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,220,658 times
I'm so excited! My flight departs on Friday, and I arrive in Oslo Saturday morning. I'll be spending Saturday and Sunday evening in Oslo. I'll take the train to Bergen on Monday, spend Monday-Wednesday nights in Bergen, and I'll return to Oslo Thursday. I'll spend Thursday and Friday nights back in Oslo and fly back to the US on Saturday.

I've been mulling over a possible day trip on Friday to Gothenburg just to get a little taste of Sweden, but it seems a little too far for just a day trip. I could technically take the early train there and the late train back but that's over 7 hours of travel for about 6 hours of exploring. My hotel is already booked in Oslo Friday night so I have to stay there, plus I fly out of Gardermoen on Saturday. Thoughts?

I'm planning to visit in Oslo the Akershus, the Botanical Gardens, some of the sculpture parks, and maybe the Viking Ship museum. I'll be staying right by the Karl Johan gate so that too. In Bergen I will do a fjord tour and the weather looks good so far. I also plan to do some hiking in the nearby mountains.

Food looks expensive but not extraordinarily so. It seemed pricier in Zurich, but maybe that has to do with the exchange rates.

Any other last minute tips are appreciated. Thanks!

Old 05-26-2016, 10:28 AM

60 posts, read 58,164 times
Enjoy your trip! Norway will blow you away.

Instead of going to Gothenburg I would perhaps take a trip to Smögen or another little place in the Archipelago of Bohuslän. It's closer to Oslo but it might be trickier nonetheless to get there so I'm not sure if the time is enough. It is well worth another trip though as the archipelago is stunning and very unique.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe