Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 07:26 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,220,658 times

Advertisements

I went out on a limb and spontaneously booked a trip to Norway in May/June. I had originally imagined going to Germany but with no abatement to the migrant crisis in sight, I don't want to risk getting stranded at a train station or have something similar ruin my trip. Yes I know Norway has migrants coming in as well but it seems like it is not remotely having the same sorts of problems other countries are having. And Norway was on my bucket list so I figured why not? Oslo in pictures seems far more modern-looking and even a bit more sprawling than most other European cities, is this accurate? Is it easy to get around via public transportation? Are there any neighborhoods I should avoid?

I'm going to be spending two days in Oslo, three days in Bergen, and another three days back in Oslo. Any recommended sightseeing and/or day trips from either city? Hiking recommendations? I'm planning to take the train from Oslo to Bergen because I hear that it's what can only be described as a magical experience, and I've also booked a fjord tour out of Bergen. Also, are people generally willing to speak English there or should I try to learn some Norwegian? Any cultural norms particular to Norwegians I need to be sensitive to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 10:26 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,347,329 times
Be kind and say as-salamu alaykum when entering shops. Then the locals are usually quite friendly. Also, pork meat is basically a taboo now in Europe and specifically in Norway. People can get quite offended when you don't stick to those cultural norms, but you should be totally fine when following the very basics of Shariah Law.

Old 01-23-2016, 02:09 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,337,189 times
Visit Akershus and leave.
Bergen has rain 365 days a year.

Old 01-23-2016, 03:15 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
Public transport works very well in Oslo. No neighbourhoods needs to be avoided.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:33 AM

191 posts, read 167,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Be kind and say as-salamu alaykum when entering shops. Then the locals are usually quite friendly. Also, pork meat is basically a taboo now in Europe and specifically in Norway. People can get quite offended when you don't stick to those cultural norms, but you should be totally fine when following the very basics of Shariah Law.
Also it is important to bear in mind that sunrise in June is at about 4AM and the azan is before that. It shouldn't be an issue in Bergen, but I hear it can get pretty loud in Oslo.

I hope your trip ends before the 6th of June; Ramadan starts then, and going 19 hours without food or drink is no fun.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:28 PM
cup

15 posts, read 15,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
It dosn't rain more in Bergen than UK

Old 01-23-2016, 12:37 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,348,051 times
Oslo is clean and prosperous, but somewhat boring, IMO. I would get out of Oslo and enjoy the natural beauty of Norway.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Thanks for the sardonic reply but I'm a vegetarian so the pork issue should be no problem.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Surely there's more to do in Norway than Akershus? I don't mind the rain, the fjords seem to look really beautiful even when it's raining.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Oslo is clean and prosperous, but somewhat boring, IMO. I would get out of Oslo and enjoy the natural beauty of Norway.
Yeah I'm getting that vibe but it seems big enough to keep one occupied for a couple of days. But I am wondering specifically about feasible day trips from Oslo or Bergen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe