Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do American's hate Europe
Yes 28 11.81%
NO 209 88.19%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 12:42 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,595,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fp1978 View Post
We don't hate Europe, but I will say that we are frustrated with Europe. We came to their aid in 2 devastating World Wars that they started, and lost the lives of hundreds of thousands of our soldiers in the process.
No...what you actually did was enter both wars late..The first due to political pressures on your own soil..The second because of Pearl Harbour. Who says America was never an Imperialist nation? Since when should Hawaii have been American?
All that makes me sound as anti US as you are so obviously anti Europe..I`m most certainly not!! But in your case I`ll make an exception
Battle of Brittain,,where were you? We did very well on our own thanks..
I`m not being patronising but maybe a history lesson will aid you..
Battle of Britain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 01:08 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,390,917 times
Our country was founded on european roots most of which were of anglo-saxon origins.
From a larger world view, we are more similar to europe than anywhere else.
In a way, we are a continuation of that "old lady continent".
However, we have imposed a policy on them since the early last century that can be called pimping and colonianist
Because of this, many tend to dislike us for our political structure rather than us as individual americans.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:38 AM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,680 times
I want to like Europe and certainly don't dislike it. My feelings are kind of mixed really. A high percentage of Europeans are agnostic or atheist, so I feel no connection to them spiritually. On another level I don't care much about them at all to be honest.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:47 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
I hate French and Germans. Some Scandanavians p*ss me off as well. I used to have to live around a lot of these Euros while I was living in Asia.

Irish are cool, and so are most Brits so long as they aren't gloating about how better the UK is compared to Ireland. Southern Europeans are usually pretty nice despite their Anti-Americanism. I've met lots of Spanish, Portuguese, and Italians who are really nice people.
Wow, you hate over 145 million people. They must all be really awful....

I am not sure why you should hate me but never mind. What have 145 million people done to you. You must have lived a long time in both Germany and France to get to know us all so well. Because I guess even travelling wouldn't do it ?

Were you assaulted by hordes of French and German people with blood-lust or do you base your distaste on a few people you have met and a perception gained from the Media.

I am genuinely curious.

I think this kind of attitude does not really endear some people to Europeans.

There isn't one Nation I hate. People are people. All individuals and all with their own good and yes bad points.

Even the Nations I do not truly understand culturally, always surprise me with lovely people, generous and hospitable inhabitants.

But thank you for hating me anyway. My first hate post of the morning.

And we wonder how wars are started...

Old 02-18-2008, 02:56 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
I don't think America hates Europe any more than Europe hates America.

We most often than not tend to misunderstand each other and let's face it most of our misconceptions are based to a certain degree by media-led perceptions , foreign politics and policies and a lot of missed opportunities to communicate.

At the end of the day a large part of Americans stem from the same genealogical tree as Europeans, we are brothers and sisters and bicker like them, and yes sometimes even dislike each other.

But in the end I genuinely believe we have a great deal of affection for each other.

Cultural differences should bring us closer together, and we should embrace our differences rather than concentrate on them.
It is what makes us part of the rich tapestry of life and interesting.

Do we all really want to be the same, eat the same, live the same and most of all think the same?
To me that would makes us boring and bland.

I Love the USA. For the most part. Do I agree with all its policies or foreign politics ? Of course not. Does it mean I hate Americans ?

Goodness NO ! I believe Americans are the same towards us. They don't get us sometimes but generally they seem pretty affectionate towards us in Europe. Puzzled, sometimes a tad shocked but hardly full of hatred.

We need to understand and relate to each other more and I would start by a media which isn't so over-laden in misconceptions and sometimes downright lies.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:34 PM

654 posts, read 1,210,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINCOLNSHIRE View Post
No...what you actually did was enter both wars late..The first due to political pressures on your own soil..The second because of Pearl Harbour. Who says America was never an Imperialist nation? Since when should Hawaii have been American?
All that makes me sound as anti US as you are so obviously anti Europe..I`m most certainly not!! But in your case I`ll make an exception
Battle of Brittain,,where were you? We did very well on our own thanks..
I`m not being patronising but maybe a history lesson will aid you..
Battle of Britain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Show me where I said that we were in those wars from the beginning. Show me where I said that the US fought in the Battle of Britain. Actually, your hostile response here just proves my original point; that WWI and WWII were wars that were started by European nations. What I said, if you read my posts, was that we came to your aid. Can you deny that? Can you deny that the economic rebuilding of our allies and enemies of WWII was due in an extremely large part to the actions of the US? No, you can't

Regardless, the point that I was making in my original post, if you had bothered to read it, was that the US had an opportunity unprecedented in the history of the world to exercise total domination over much of Europe and Asia. While WWII had left the axis and allies (including Britain) severely weakened militarily and economically, the US came out of it much stronger than we were when we went in. The unprecedented part comes when you realize that our military occupied almost all of Western Europe and a considerable part of Asia at a time when we easily could have taken what land we wanted with little resistance - but we didn't. Now, show me another "empire" in world history that would have walked away from an opportunity like that.

And by the way, contrary to what you so smugly claim, I am far from anti-European (my mother and fiancee are European). However I, apparently unlike you, know what an empire is and is not and realize that what the US did after WWII was extraordinary and unusual in world history for the reasons I have stated here ad nauseum.

Last edited by fp1978; 02-18-2008 at 07:45 PM..

Old 02-18-2008, 07:39 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,749,873 times
City Data has an active History Forum designed for just such discussions. Members are strongly encouraged to make use of it.

Thanks.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:45 PM

164 posts, read 463,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
I don't hate the Europeans at all. In fact, I am a bit jealous of them. They have good mass transit, less crime, cleaner cities, health care. I could go on....Also, for the most part, they don't but their noses into other countries business.
Good mass transit, less crime, cleaner cities, better health care, yes. But, "for the most part, they don't but their noses into other countries business"? They do a lot less meddling than the U.S. does these days, but they still do their share. I think the difference is that most present-day European nations keep to their own continent when involving themselves in others' affairs--but even then there are the obvious exceptions.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:34 PM

189 posts, read 628,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
My guess is that most Americans don't hate Europeans. Not enough Americans can even find Europe on a map and too many take what the media says about Europe at face value instead of doing their own research...
Moderator cut: Personal attacks are not permitted

I don't take any country's media reports (including the US) at face value. They write what sells, not the truth about events.
I have always wanted to visit Europe and am now going this summer. I am very excited! I have no reason really to not like Europe.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 02-24-2008 at 08:07 PM..

Old 02-24-2008, 09:02 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,290,595 times
I don't hate Europeans, but I really hate it when they tilt their nose down on us.
Some of them hate Americans for being American and will use any excuse to criticize us.
One German quoted "I disprove of the Americans, thank god Sudan doesn't have oil or they would have invaded it a long time a go"
and for those of you who don't get it...Sudan does have oil...Lots of it...enough to supply china, which is what they're doing.
I have no problem with Europeans, but when they say oh...the British National Anthem is soo much better then the crappy US one...or all Americans are stupid, or The Americans must be true idiots to elect bush again when not seeing the other side of the story thinking that we're all just a whole bunch of War mongering Barbarians who ended up making the world most powerful country by rolling a dice with a millions sides. Some American hate Europe, they mostly complain about the lack of support from them and the snobbishness.
And unlike how other people think...it not just the 'conservatives' that hate Europe, that is just another generalization made.
The truth is Many Americans hate Americans, conservative Americans. They are the target for many stereotypes as demonstrated by many of these posts we have the projection that we're all crazy who hate Europeans...
I really hate generalizations...
but anyways
No I do not hate Europe, I can see why some Americans would, as it does seem that many more Europeans hate Americans then the other way around.
Most American really aren't partial to the French in particular, which many see as snobs. We see many French looking down on us in so many ways such as how english has no 'taste' and how 'America has no beauty'
I would be stupid to hate all Europeans as I am sure most are friendly people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe