Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2016, 03:08 PM

820 posts, read 954,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
To be honest with you the UK has produced more world famous bands than the whole of Europe put together, only the US comes close really, from way back (Kinks, Beatles, Stones etc through to Amy Winehouse or Adele), the fact that it usually comes last is probably more reflective of the countries dominance than anything else, whoever wins the competition will never be heard of again whilst over the next 12 months Europeans will still be buying mainly British or American 'pop'.

What are you talking about? Famous UK bands are only famous in the UK. Infact, the UK hasn't produced more than other country ..check stats !
Same for the film industry. UK is number 25.

Beatles, Stones, Amy Winehouse or Adele...Maybe that is the only one we know.

Again and again, the UK did not perform well at Eurovision. 24th!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 05:06 PM

8,867 posts, read 8,452,657 times
Am I the only one that finds the 'French translation' of points really really pointless? It's almost as if they think French speaking people are all too blind to read the captions and graphic.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:42 AM

27,194 posts, read 13,482,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaroW View Post

Beatles, Stones, Amy Winehouse or Adele...Maybe that is the only one we know
The Who, The Kinks, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac etc are all among best selling acts.

Old 05-17-2016, 05:13 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,035,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaroW View Post

What are you talking about? Famous UK bands are only famous in the UK. Infact, the UK hasn't produced more than other country ..check stats !
Same for the film industry. UK is number 25.

Beatles, Stones, Amy Winehouse or Adele...Maybe that is the only one we know.

Again and again, the UK did not perform well at Eurovision. 24th!
Really! Do you want me to list them? you go first, you name the worlds best known bands from the whole of Europe and then I will list the ones out of the UK only, I bet my list is an awful lot longer than yours! You go first.

Old 05-17-2016, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedlaRoche View Post
The US doesn't "come close", it produced more famous bands than the UK by a very large margin.
Thing is because your language is English, you have de facto a bigger audience and a much bigger chance to be famous worldwide. Almost all continental european bands which became famous worldwide were singing in English. But they are just a small percentage of the European music production. Most European bands are only known in their respective language areas. And I'm not even talking about the financial power of the US music industry with its large economies of scale.
Nevertheless, England had a big influence on western modern music from the 60s to the 80s.
You list the worlds most famous bands from the US and then I will list them out of the UK and we can see who has the longest list!

Old 05-17-2016, 05:37 PM

985 posts, read 1,854,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Am I the only one that finds the 'French translation' of points really really pointless? It's almost as if they think French speaking people are all too blind to read the captions and graphic.
No, the Eurovision thing would lose character without douze points.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The Who, The Kinks, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac etc are all among best selling acts.
You're just scratching the surface, what about The Who, Elton John, Genesis, Queen, David Bowie, Oasis, Blur, The Smiths, Deep Purple, Coldplay, Spice Girls, UB40, The Verve, The Animals, Manic Street Preachers, The Pet Shop Boys, George Michael, Lisa Stansfield, T.Rex,, Dire Straits, The Specials, Kate Bush, The Stone Roses, Iron Maiden, Small Faces, Duran Duran, Depeche Mode,, The Jam, Black Sabbath, Radiohead, Joy Division, The Sex Pistols, The Clash etc etc, these are all INTERNATIONALLY best selling bands and I really could go on! AmoroW I would like to see your list for 'other' European artists that compare.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:48 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,701,281 times
Quote:
Blind people cannot see points, they must be said because they can still hear..

I cannot say I would enjoy of this years songs too much.

Please, bring back the old magic of eurovision!

Old 05-18-2016, 08:23 AM

27,194 posts, read 13,482,880 times
Quote:
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:29 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,025,201 times
Funny how Russia with possibly the best song got 2nd, while the Ukrainian weirdness was No 1 and Bulgaria picked the worst song ever, despite the good singer. It's like someone wanted to put the future "Eu member" as No 1 and favor other eastern European member while making fun of Russia 0_0.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe