Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 10:30 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,128,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urania93 View Post
Good song!
So the song from Spain is in English this year? Interesting, looking at their wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spain_...n_Song_Contest it looks like it is the first time they are sending a song completely in English (just some English+Spanish in the last decade in practice).
Yes... Well, 99% in English at least.
And lots of people are upset because of this, they think we're giving up on our culture.
In fact, the contest makers (TVE) demanded that the participants make their song have some Spanish in it (And that's why the backvoices of Say Yay! have some random lines in Spanish at some point.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 10:51 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,444,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arigarisha View Post
And lots of people are upset because of this, they think we're giving up on our culture.
In fact, the contest makers (TVE) demanded that the participants make their song have some Spanish in it (And that's why the backvoices of Say Yay! have some random lines in Spanish at some point.)
That's a delicate point, from the perspective of the single participating countries it would probably be better to sing in their own language, so that the song can really represent them. On the other hand, if you sing in your language really few people from your country will understand the lyrics, and like this it is much more difficult to get point during the voting.
(About this, I wonder why they don't put the subtitle with the translation to the song during the contest. I don't know how the situation is, but in practice the only song we can understand usually is our one.)

We are probably one of the other few countries that prefer to send song in their own language, and actually there isn't neither any large debate about it. Probably the first reason for this is that in Italy few people follow Eurovision, here the main music festival is Sanremo and a lot of people are not interested in a contest that is seen as a "similar competition at European level, but without the same class" (that's the impression, I'm not saying that it is true. The two contests are just really different). The other point is that we have really few singers who write songs in English, even if in the last few years the situation is chancing (in particular the last edition of Xfactor Italia are starting to praise new song in English). The last reason is probably the selection of the song for Eurovision itself. The first candidate is the winner of Sanremo, and one of the main rule of that contest is that the song must be in Italian (or some dialect of Italy). So, if they won't choose someone outside Sanremo for Eurovision, the song will be automatically in Italian.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
That's a delicate point, from the perspective of the single participating countries it would probably be better to sing in their own language, so that the song can really represent them. On the other hand, if you sing in your language really few people from your country will understand the lyrics, and like this it is much more difficult to get point during the voting.
(About this, I wonder why they don't put the subtitle with the translation to the song during the contest. I don't know how the situation is, but in practice the only song we can understand usually is our one.)

We are probably one of the other few countries that prefer to send song in their own language, and actually there isn't neither any large debate about it. Probably the first reason for this is that in Italy few people follow Eurovision, here the main music festival is Sanremo and a lot of people are not interested in a contest that is seen as a "similar competition at European level, but without the same class" (that's the impression, I'm not saying that it is true. The two contests are just really different). The other point is that we have really few singers who write songs in English, even if in the last few years the situation is chancing (in particular the last edition of Xfactor Italia are starting to praise new song in English). The last reason is probably the selection of the song for Eurovision itself. The first candidate is the winner of Sanremo, and one of the main rule of that contest is that the song must be in Italian (or some dialect of Italy). So, if they won't choose someone outside Sanremo for Eurovision, the song will be automatically in Italian.
I think it's best to use English so everyone has an equal opportunity to get the full beauty of a song. Even if you put subtitles, translations never make 'em justice.
You can write beautiful songs in Spanish and play with words in a way that will not work in other languages.
An exception would be if the lyrics of a song are dumb beyond redemption... Then it's best to leave everyone guessing.

Old 02-02-2016, 03:28 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,064,837 times
Quote:
I think it's best to use English so everyone has an equal opportunity to get the full beauty of a song. Even if you put subtitles, translations never make 'em justice.
You can write beautiful songs in Spanish and play with words in a way that will not work in other languages.
An exception would be if the lyrics of a song are dumb beyond redemption... Then it's best to leave everyone guessing.
I would never use the words 'Eurovision' and 'beautiful songs' in the same sentence, lol! 'Cheesy songs' - yes!

I think I've already said on here before, that I NEVER watch the singing part of it, so I'm not bothered whether countries sing in English or not. The voting bit at the end is the best (or worst, for the UK) part.

Ok, let's have a bet where the UK will come this year, shall we? I'm saying either last or last but one.

Old 02-02-2016, 03:40 PM

595 posts, read 719,913 times
Quote:
But yesterday she sang the song entirely in English, without the chorus in Spanish, and today she said that the song will be 100% in English and that she has the permission of TVE.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victus View Post
But yesterday she sang the song entirely in English, without the chorus in Spanish, and today she said that the song will be 100% in English and that she has the permission of TVE.
I see.
I couldn't watch the whole thing, so I only followed the voting. It's a good thing she's allowed to do with what she pleases with HER song, I find it ridiculous that they would force them to change them in the first place.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:23 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,932 times
Quote:
The contest to pick Spain's representative is over, and I'm very pleased with the results. I though for sure the techno-pop dude would win.

Here's who we're sending.
It isn't up to my taste, i'm not fond of the backvoices, the song is meaningless dance pop (which is great when done well) and i despise the title. Spain could field better artists and tracks.

Quote:

I prefer when we send our singers just so that they can sing in our own language but realistically our only hope in that case would be with a mix of pop and lyrical music or something closer to jazz/blues. That's the genre foreigners want to hear from our singers and it isn't a surprise that Gualazzi and Il Volo were the artists who fared the best at Eurovision.

Not really, i think that the winner of Sanremo can bring another song or can change the song to make it fit into English. If we ever go to Eurovision with an English speaking song i hope we don't go down the dance pop route but go for something more particular

Old 02-02-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
It isn't up to my taste, i'm not fond of the backvoices, the song is meaningless dance pop (which is great when done well) and i despise the title. Spain could field better artists and tracks.
Your taste is not up to my taste either, so I'm wondering why you're commenting as if you were above all.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:00 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,932 times
Quote:
Your taste is not up to my taste either, so I'm wondering why you're commenting as if you were above all.
I just don't know any other way to say it really. I was thinking about how to word it for a couple minutes and couldn't find anything better. My lexicon failed me. Anyway, it was simply my take on it. Me not liking the song doesn't mean someone can't like it. I actually think it has a good shot

It's mostly the childish title that irks me for some reason as well as the excessive use of backvoices. She's got a great voice and on a second listen, the beat is more than decent

Old 02-03-2016, 03:33 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,701,281 times
Quote:

I love original language songs, right away much more than in english (even that is original to some, lol) , yeah, the notes and syllables, there is their own magic at all languages and people should believe in it

And I love italy speaking men (some) sooooo something

I love lot of other languages too, just because there is much of those fun little specialities and I would wish that people would not give up on them, not even in daily speaks when english sayings (some are good) and prhases are replacing things, sadly especially urban dictionary stuff is replacing original language.

People, especially young people don't even understand how much creativity they are losing in their own languages when they are mimicing english.

Don't lose the touch of your own languages, those are treasureful!!!

Instead play with your own languages, that is amazing!

I wish to hear more songs not in english this year.

Same with music itself, pop-rap-etc. is radio full, why it should be same? Where are those rythms from back years that took your attention because that did not come from radio earlier today...? I want those those cool little things back which made eurovision something to wait!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe