Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 11:59 AM

26,789 posts, read 22,567,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
i love portugal and the portugese so well done to them , still think the song was so so
I was pretty sure it was NOT his best song - I simply could project right away that he should have something better in his repertoire ( and AFP posted something better indeed.)
But his talent was obvious, even though his style is "retro."
So no, I didn't expect him to win - not with this kind of music.

Quote:
i rarely ever watch the singing , always watch the voting however , its harmless silly entertainment , the croatian guy was a hoot , pure eurovision , as were moldova with their mad wedding - mad saxophone routine
I watch singing - I like to see what's going on out there in "artistic" world)))

Last edited by erasure; 05-14-2017 at 12:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
Portugal is the proof that you can win with your local language. Every countries should sing in their language as much as possible, that would be better for the show -well I didn't watch it anyway actually -
On your guard - you CAN win using your own language, but you have to be very talented in order to be "transcendent" to others. If not, "your own language" will turn against you when spoken/sung for international audience.

Old 05-14-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Bulgaria won the "silver", good. Though not sure if the Justin Bieber lookalike kid they picked was the best option and also don't get why are 99% of the songs in English, which is why we got 2nd place maybe (boring melody + no national culture).
The "Justin Bieber lookalike" has much better voice; he sung very well and rightfully deserved a lot of praises. (I wonder however whether he'll find good songs to progress with his career.)

Old 05-15-2017, 07:37 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,904,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urania93 View Post
I still cannot understand what's special with Portugal entry, at first it reminded me of Sanremo's songs of the 60s. And I think that I wasn't the only one, considering that our juries nor our televote gave many points to that song

Anyway, for the political voting thing, we had a really lively night on the social after San Marino gave us only 3 points (again). This is what appeared on the wikipedia page of San Marino:

translation:

at 5:00 am of the 14th of May 2017, the Italian army invaded the country. San Marino's army was caught off guard, and at 14:00 the Italian army already had the control over the situation. Sporadic clushes went on until the morning of the 15th of May. The name given by the Italian army to the operation was: "the revenge of the ape" because of the betrayal of San Marino, happened the previous night, who gave only 3 points to the song "Occidentali's Karma" sang by Gabbani, who was participating to the Eurovision song contest.

They have also had to wikipedia:
"As a decrete of the President of the Republic of Italy, as new leader of the Republic State of San Marino, the San Marino's flag has been substituted with a dancing ape on a green, white and red background, as an homage to Francesco Gabbani, Italian national hero.

"After 2017 you can move to Portugal, you b****d traitors. Namaste alé.

And many other things (some on the page is Portuguese language)

Il tweet della Bbc e i tre voti di San Marino a Gabbani: l’Eurofestival delle polemiche social - Corriere.it

Right now the San Marino wikipedia page is protected for avoid other vandalism

Anyway, I really didn't imagine that anyone could that this show so much seriously!
The poetry of it is brilliant, unlike the cheap disposable mindless trash that is usually produced for the shallow feeble minded masses, that is the norm of such contests.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:10 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,444,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
The poetry of it is brilliant, unlike the cheap disposable mindless trash that is usually produced for the shallow feeble minded masses, that is the norm of such contests.
Maybe it was better than the rest, but still I cannot see it as brilliant, nor original. I really can no more stand this kind of slow and sweet love songs, maybe because we already have too many of them. I would underline that the most important music media event here in Italy is Sanremo, where songs like Portugal's are the norm.
Now, I'm not saying that I always prefer more "modern and mainstream" songs, actually many of my favorite songs of the last years are more into lyrics and message than into music and vocal ability. I'm just saying that, in my opinion, even the message of the winning song is not so impressive.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:03 PM

210 posts, read 200,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urania93 View Post
Maybe it was better than the rest, but still I cannot see it as brilliant, nor original. I really can no more stand this kind of slow and sweet love songs, maybe because we already have too many of them. I would underline that the most important music media event here in Italy is Sanremo, where songs like Portugal's are the norm.
Now, I'm not saying that I always prefer more "modern and mainstream" songs, actually many of my favorite songs of the last years are more into lyrics and message than into music and vocal ability. I'm just saying that, in my opinion, even the message of the winning song is not so impressive.
Well it's the eurovision, not some experimental music festival. Nonetheless, I think the winning song was pretty daring by Eurovision standards. It is light years away from eurodance/disco, and that alone is a novelty. I have no horse in this contest, and we all look for something different in music but I really think it won fair and square. I'd much rather have that as a winner than a guy pretending to play a wicked saxophone, or a dude dancing next to a gorilla... Like I've said before most people don't give a jack about the music, really. They just want their country to win, regardless of bad or good the song is.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:47 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,489,409 times
I am happy about the fact, English is not necessary to win.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:06 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEzDD0dZU8U

Old 05-17-2017, 10:33 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,025,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
The "Justin Bieber lookalike" has much better voice; he sung very well and rightfully deserved a lot of praises. (I wonder however whether he'll find good songs to progress with his career.)
Apparently the "bulgarian" kid is from Russia btw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu1-6znoKLM

Old 05-17-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Apparently the "bulgarian" kid is from Russia btw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu1-6znoKLM
I've heard that his father is Bulgarian, mother is (originally) from Kazakhstan.
Something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe