Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 08:37 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,701,281 times

Advertisements

I would like to see everyones favourite canditate of their own country. It is not always the one who is picked by votes, we can disagree who should sing

Anyones candidates available yet?

There should be few countries who started their own rounds already.

Any pretty new songs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 10:55 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,444,163 times
I was going to open practically the same thread, but you have been faster

Anyway, here in Italy the main candidates for the Eurovision song contest are the participants of the Sanremo festival, and in particular the first choice is usually the winner. Unfortunely the Sanremo festival will take place from the 9th till the 13th of February, and we don't know the song yet (all the song are heard for the first time with their first performance during the festival in practice. We just know the artists and the song title at this moment).

So the question for us is: who will win the Sanremo festival? Will he/she accept to represent us at the Eurovision song contest?

Evidently I don't know their new songs yet, but so that they are part of the Sanremo festival they will surely be:
- in Italian language
- slow and "old fashioned", probably they will be about love or similar stuffs.

In addition

-it looks like we are alternating male and female singers at the Eurovision. So that last year we sent 3 boys, this year I think that they would prefer a girl.

Spoiler
I can't give you the songs from this years, but those are a couple of singers that I would like to see winning the Sanremo festival, and so to represent us at the Eurovision

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZuQEZ4B4oo
Noemi. She became famous some years ago with the participation at the talent show Xfactor italia. She has a quite particular voice, at least if compared with the most of our female singers who generally have more "crystalline" voices. This is the song she sang in 2014 at Sanremo. This year her song is called "a lady's bag" (in Italian of course), and the anticipation say that it will talk about women.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRq0TzYBris
Elio e le storie tese. They are the unpredictable element of the festival, they always do strange and creative songs. The song I posted is from Sanremo 2013 and it is called "the monotone song", and it mainly talks about all the things you can add to a song. They are also famous for dressing in the weirdest costumes during their live performances. About their new song has been anticipated: "what do you like about a song? The refrain! So their song is made of refrains only, rigorously all different one from each other." I'm really courious to hear how it will be.
Anyway, I'm not sure that outside Italy they could be appreciated, their strong point is the lyrics and I think that the language would be a really large obstacle. Thinking better about it, I'm not sure that they would accept to sing at the Eurovision...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtywUt9i-Ow
Annalisa. Another girl who become famous with a talent show. Nothing special probably, but I like her voice. About her I'm a little worried, the title of the song she will sing at Sanremo makes me think about a even more slow and "old fashioned" song than the one I posted.

Sincerely this year I don't see any artist in Sanremo that would be really suited for Eurovision, so I'm hoping that the winner will forfeit and that another artist will be chosen.

Spoiler

For songs in English I would like to see at the Eurovision songs like these ones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya2Rl1fiJzw
Elisa. She is really famous here in Italy, usually singers at her level don't accept to go to Eurovision. Anyway this is a really new song, I like how it sounds and (last but not the least) the title is "no hero". After Sweden won with a song called "heroes" I would like a lot to see a song with an opposite title in the contest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyUSxDVZZ7Y
The Kolors. They are a young boy band who became famous after winning a talent show. this song was published last year so it could not participate to the next Eurovision song contest, but this is really indicative of their overall style. They are publishing new songs at a really high rhythm, so they would probably manage to have a new song for the contest if they were asked to participate.

About songs in Italian I can't think about anyone now, in this period of the year all the new songs in Italian are concentrated in the Sanremo contest in practice, I don't think that many other authors would manage to have a new song within the time limit

Last edited by Urania93; 01-30-2016 at 11:08 AM..

Old 02-01-2016, 10:31 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urania93 View Post
I was going to open practically the same thread, but you have been faster

Anyway, here in Italy the main candidates for the Eurovision song contest are the participants of the Sanremo festival, and in particular the first choice is usually the winner. Unfortunely the Sanremo festival will take place from the 9th till the 13th of February, and we don't know the song yet (all the song are heard for the first time with their first performance during the festival in practice. We just know the artists and the song title at this moment).

So the question for us is: who will win the Sanremo festival? Will he/she accept to represent us at the Eurovision song contest?

Evidently I don't know their new songs yet, but so that they are part of the Sanremo festival they will surely be:
- in Italian language
- slow and "old fashioned", probably they will be about love or similar stuffs.

In addition

-it looks like we are alternating male and female singers at the Eurovision. So that last year we sent 3 boys, this year I think that they would prefer a girl.

Spoiler
I can't give you the songs from this years, but those are a couple of singers that I would like to see winning the Sanremo festival, and so to represent us at the Eurovision

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZuQEZ4B4oo
Noemi. She became famous some years ago with the participation at the talent show Xfactor italia. She has a quite particular voice, at least if compared with the most of our female singers who generally have more "crystalline" voices. This is the song she sang in 2014 at Sanremo. This year her song is called "a lady's bag" (in Italian of course), and the anticipation say that it will talk about women.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRq0TzYBris
Elio e le storie tese. They are the unpredictable element of the festival, they always do strange and creative songs. The song I posted is from Sanremo 2013 and it is called "the monotone song", and it mainly talks about all the things you can add to a song. They are also famous for dressing in the weirdest costumes during their live performances. About their new song has been anticipated: "what do you like about a song? The refrain! So their song is made of refrains only, rigorously all different one from each other." I'm really courious to hear how it will be.
Anyway, I'm not sure that outside Italy they could be appreciated, their strong point is the lyrics and I think that the language would be a really large obstacle. Thinking better about it, I'm not sure that they would accept to sing at the Eurovision...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtywUt9i-Ow
Annalisa. Another girl who become famous with a talent show. Nothing special probably, but I like her voice. About her I'm a little worried, the title of the song she will sing at Sanremo makes me think about a even more slow and "old fashioned" song than the one I posted.

Sincerely this year I don't see any artist in Sanremo that would be really suited for Eurovision, so I'm hoping that the winner will forfeit and that another artist will be chosen.

Spoiler

For songs in English I would like to see at the Eurovision songs like these ones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya2Rl1fiJzw
Elisa. She is really famous here in Italy, usually singers at her level don't accept to go to Eurovision. Anyway this is a really new song, I like how it sounds and (last but not the least) the title is "no hero". After Sweden won with a song called "heroes" I would like a lot to see a song with an opposite title in the contest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyUSxDVZZ7Y
The Kolors. They are a young boy band who became famous after winning a talent show. this song was published last year so it could not participate to the next Eurovision song contest, but this is really indicative of their overall style. They are publishing new songs at a really high rhythm, so they would probably manage to have a new song for the contest if they were asked to participate.

About songs in Italian I can't think about anyone now, in this period of the year all the new songs in Italian are concentrated in the Sanremo contest in practice, I don't think that many other authors would manage to have a new song within the time limit

I was thinking that Giusy Ferreri is tailor made for Eurovision, i'm thinking more of her last couple works. Roma Bangkok (although the song was Baby K's) even entered in the charts of France where it sits in 30th or so position now and Volevo Te is quite catchy as well as being the classical dance-pop song which usually wins the competition

The Kolors would be a different entry from the other years as we would have a pop rock English speaking band which is different to anything we have had through these years.

Out of the Sanremo block, i would like to see Clementino give it a go, he's once again something different as he's a rapper but it helps that he can sing as well, that he speaks a decent English and to finish it off that hip hop is really popular at the moment

Old 02-01-2016, 11:46 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
All 16 candidates are on this playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OKr...rXhK0S&index=1

Have listened only to the two first ones yet. The first is quite ok, the second horrible and boring.

Old 02-01-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
All 16 candidates are on this playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OKr...rXhK0S&index=1

Have listened only to the two first ones yet. The first is quite ok, the second horrible and boring.
Ok, so here's a honest and completely neutral review of the all songs:

Saara Aalto
- This one was quite nice and somewhat innovative. On the better end of all 18, but is it Eurovision enough? No.

Mikko Herranen
- Aaah jeez. What a load of BS. I fell asleep after the first minute so missed the rest. 0 points. Sorry, -100 points.

Stella Christine
- This is a song for a romantic movie or a TV series. Very boring, generic, one ear in one ear out. Not good at all.

Eini
- Eini, 540 years young and with a 400 year experience in music, and the best she can come up is this?? Utter and complete shite. Retire or something. Might work on hillbilly-radio, but not in €-vision.

Clemso
- This is maybe my favourite. Catchy, fun and different from a Finnish perspective. Wonder what the other language is. Hausa? Yoruba? Our Eastern European friends might not be too fond of this.
edit: looked it up, it's Yoruba.

Pää-Äijät
- Yeah, of course one redneck-partyrapcrap. GTFO from my stereo. -200 pts. This genre should die out fast. Quite catchy, I admit that, but nobody foreigner will understand it.

Attention 2
- This was fun. Lovely kids. In my top 5 list. Would guess that good points from our neighbours, UK, Ireland, NL and Belgium would be given.

Cristal Snow
- Cristal loves the Eurovision and you notice it in this snow. But please Cristal, dress up as a man if you get elected. I can endorse this. Like it. But is it too generic? It might.

Annica Milán & Kimmo Blom
- This is Freddy Adu. There's potential, but doesn't really break through. Quite messy, and is created by a big multinational group of composers. I don't see any chance with this.

Rafaela Truda
- Haven't we heard lots of these already? Not original enough, and you don't really hear the Balkan here, which could be a big plus.

Ylona
- Oh, Jaakko Salovaara is behind this. Well, he knows his job. This has a lot of potential north of the Alps. One of my favourites.

Mikael Saari
- Zzzzzzzzzzzz. Second time around. This is something that middle-aged Italian women like, but everyone else will forget the song as quick as they have listened to it. No way Mikael, not this time either. Go home.

Lieminen
- Hmm, what can I say? Might be a 100% hit or a total flop. Catchy, but do you get a hang of it if you don't speak Finnish?

Tuuli Okkonen
- This is also from a mystery combination of composers.
Säv. Michael James Down, Primoz Poglajen, Dimitri Stassos, Tuuli Okkonen, Johnny Sanchez, Sara Ljunggren
San. Michael James Down, Primoz Poglajen, Tuuli Okkonen
Sov. Dimitri Stassos, Johnny Sanchez
Strong, powerful, and certainly Eurovision material. Very nice. This is my second favourite after Clemso.

Gušani Brothers
- The only Croatian band I know is Thompson, and this is not like that. Local Bieber boys. A little more Balkan in this one. But I think this genre is already quite has-been. Might've worked a few years ago, but the ship has sailed.

Barbe-Q-Barbies
- Adrianna La Cerva does a good job. This will slice like a hot knife through butter in Eastern Europe. But very poor video. Can't say I'd endorse this after all.

Pietarin Spektaakkeli
- Zzzzzzzz. This might work among IPA-sipping hipsters liking it "ironically", but what a load of BS. -150 pts.

Sandhja
- 12 points from the UK. Maybe a bit clubbish and generic for Eurovision. Catchy. Maybe a bit passé?

Ok, so I pick one favourite of every semifinal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyNWoatklTU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpKbPwwcy3Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoP1A4rSG1g

I might still change my mind considering the 2nd semifinal.

The 15-year old girls and drag-Cristal gets honorary mentions. All in all I think the standard this year is higher than the past 2 years.

edit: Ok, so you can vote already for the first semifinal which is next Saturday. My vote went to Clemso.

Old 02-01-2016, 02:37 PM

I think that Clemso, Cristal Snow or Attention 2 will be chosen for political reasons. Let's see who YLE starts to lobby more or less subtly.

Soldiers of Odin Big Band could be a big hit in some countries also for political reasons. "Bravo Finsko. Respect from Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, Macedonia and Russia".

Old 02-01-2016, 02:40 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,120,283 times
I'd like to see Katie Noonan represent Australia.

Old 02-01-2016, 04:07 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,128,719 times
The contest to pick Spain's representative is over, and I'm very pleased with the results. I though for sure the techno-pop dude would win.

Here's who we're sending.

Last edited by Arigarisha; 02-01-2016 at 04:42 PM..

Old 02-02-2016, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arigarisha View Post
The contest to pick Spain's representative is over, and I'm very pleased with the results. I though for sure the techno-pop dude would win.

Not bad at all!

Old 02-02-2016, 10:21 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,444,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arigarisha View Post

Good song!
So the song from Spain is in English this year? Interesting, looking at their wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spain_...n_Song_Contest it looks like it is the first time they are sending a song completely in English (just some English+Spanish in the last decade in practice).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe