Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 02:51 AM

667 posts, read 939,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusPetersson View Post
Exactly, Swedish language for Swedes, Dutch language for the Dutch, nothing sad about that. However there has to be a lingua franca that makes it possible for people of different languages to communicate with eachother, and that is English.
Do you think it is possible that English will eventually take over Swedish in Sweden? Or will the role of English change/increase during the next, say, 50 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 03:20 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,008,872 times
As I live here in The Netherlands I can say that German speak much better English than some people who post here. Why do you think that they need to speak English anyway? They are German not English Some times I pretend that I don't speak English when it come to ask directions. Because they wont stop from there they will offer a beer or even more By the way I have been to Sweden my dear there also the same. So ...hi hii

Old 02-24-2016, 03:50 AM

504 posts, read 465,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
The place I had the hardest time communicating in English was Newcastle. They seemed to understand me, fairly well, but I hadn't a clue what they were saying, most of the time.
Ya divvent nah whar th'sedd?

Yes, very strong "Geordie" is incredibly difficult to understand - I saw an interview with a woman on the news once, and they put up subtitles! Glaswegian is tricky, but Belfast/Ulster is the worst of all. Might as well be another language. I went out with a lad from Derry for a while, but the fact I simply could not understand him made the relationship short lived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Yes I believe you. I've been to the Netherlands before and it's like how you just described when I tried some Dutch but I think they appreciated my effort and saw it as a sign of respect.
I have a lot of experience trying to practice Dutch in the Netherlands. They usually can't be bothered. They last time I tried, in a quiet bar, with the barman, he said "why do you want to learn such a useless language? - let's stick to English!". I used to wonder why they seem to have zero tolerance or patience when I made mistakes, but a Dutch friend explained that it's because they rarely hear it spoken by anyone other than natural Dutch speakers, and as such, can't cope when it's not completely correct. This made sense. As an English native, I hear my language spoken in every dialect, sometimes so "broken" it's hard to understand, from every corner of the planet. And in London (naturally!). I'm used to hearing it strangled, and just accept it as normal - and with gratitude that they can communicate.

I often think of my German suppliers who deal with the same Italian companies as I do. The Italians speak very, very basic English, but no German - and the Germans speak no Italian. They deal in English - and it must be very difficult!!

Old 02-24-2016, 09:16 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,698,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
Do you think it is possible that English will eventually take over Swedish in Sweden? Or will the role of English change/increase during the next, say, 50 years?

I would say young people don't even understand what they lose meanwhile admiring english and using slang words in english etc. It is insidious tragedy. They could improve and nurture their own instead. So many dialects and smaller languages died already. People should wake up to value what they have. Sometimes it is better than what they are fancying...

Old 02-24-2016, 11:54 AM

30 posts, read 36,535 times
This kind of story;
"The world's largest ranking of countries by English skills"

EF English Proficiency Index - A comprehensive ranking of countries by English skills

Old 02-24-2016, 12:10 PM

990 posts, read 1,943,313 times
Quote:
No absolutely not. We do not speak English to eachothers, we only speak English to those who don't understand Swedish.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:57 PM

667 posts, read 939,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusPetersson View Post
No absolutely not. We do not speak English to eachothers, we only speak English to those who don't understand Swedish.
And what if more and more expats will come, more and more mixed marriages with English as a common language..?

Old 02-24-2016, 01:20 PM

990 posts, read 1,943,313 times
Quote:
And what if more and more expats will come, more and more mixed marriages with English as a common language..?
Well, just for a starter, its very hard to get a job in Sweden if you can't speak or understand Swedish (or Danish/Norwegian). And our media is almost entirely Swedish, with the exception of a very few programs/news in Finnish, Meänkieli and Davvisámegiella (North Sami).

Foreign languages has had a great status in the Swedish society for centuries, now its English, before it was French, and before that, it was German (specifically: Low German, Plattdeutsch). But during all the time, Swedish has been the majority language and has recieved many French and Low German influences that has been made permanent, and will probably have many English influences as well. If it was not for the French and Low German influences we would today speak a completely different language, something similar to what they speak in Iceland today.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:28 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soUlwounD View Post
I would say young people don't even understand what they lose meanwhile admiring english and using slang words in english etc. It is insidious tragedy. They could improve and nurture their own instead. So many dialects and smaller languages died already. People should wake up to value what they have. Sometimes it is better than what they are fancying...
Agreed 100%. It's very sad to see the dialects wither away. I can see it in my family. Everyone over 60 speaks regional dialects mostly. Everyone under 30 speaks high German, with no regional variation.

Old 02-24-2016, 02:05 PM

7,503 posts, read 6,285,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soUlwounD View Post
Also, I think Swedish sounds pretty nice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DDvIUUVJcw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe