Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 03:47 PM

102 posts, read 116,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahhammer View Post
Then what do Anglos get? Cultural appropriation happens ever day to this minute, it's getting more and more intense by the second. Nothing will be left eventually to be called English, when some internet user from Brazil spouts how English is good since their own language is so sophisticated and shouldn't be touched by outsiders, it only reminds me of what is happening because non-native will outnumber native and we will speak like them. I would prefer English stop existing than to see it turn into something so mushy and empty. It's only a few centuries before it turns into something as shorn as standard Indonesian. Esperanto (though it is designed with a eurocentric bias to what a language looks like) would be good but it is european. Everybody remember that Asian and African Black people combined outnumber westerners 2-3 to 1, so that fraction will still be pushing european culture down the throats of the rest of the world using esperanto. There are two asians for every white person, so why has Russian and French come to be some ideal yet Cambodian is not? I've seen Cambodian and Vietnamese formal prose, they try to copy French grammatical constructions in a bizarre ways by compounding words since their own languages have no morphology at all. Cultural genocide by the west!
Don't worry, soon the world will communicate exclusively with "likes," emojis and reaction videos. Already users of social chat software in the 2/3rd world are a decade ahead of western europeans in this regard. The Japanese invented emojis and asian chat software has about 1000x the options for 'sticker' based communication. Anglos will no longer have to bemoan the cultural appropriation of their mother tongue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 04:20 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,992,877 times
Hosken Powell brings up an interesting topic. In the future, how much online communication will based on emojis and other non-alphabetic symbols?

Old 02-28-2016, 04:31 PM

24,476 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynnomad View Post
i agree with you. i was just in berlin. people in customer service positions could speak the basics of english. but it was difficult (sometimes painful) to have normal conversations with people in english.
Have you tried to talk to customer service in Brooklyn in German or English?

Old 04-06-2016, 09:58 AM

990 posts, read 1,943,313 times
Just came back from Prague, and even in non-touristy areas far from the old town, people could speak English (some moderate, and some very good). Most menus at restaurants were in Czech and English, and their service could speak fluent English and were not reluctant or unhappy to do so, nor was locals when asking for directons etc. So East Germany having been part of the Warsaw Pact is no excuse cause so was Czechoslovakia, and Prague is just south of eastern Germany, not far from Dresden.

Last edited by Helsingborgaren; 04-06-2016 at 10:09 AM..

Old 04-06-2016, 12:29 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,555,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusPetersson View Post
Just came back from Prague, and even in non-touristy areas far from the old town, people could speak English (some moderate, and some very good). Most menus at restaurants were in Czech and English, and their service could speak fluent English and were not reluctant or unhappy to do so, nor was locals when asking for directons etc. So East Germany having been part of the Warsaw Pact is no excuse cause so was Czechoslovakia, and Prague is just south of eastern Germany, not far from Dresden.
And Czech girls are awesome!!

Old 04-08-2016, 06:03 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
I am German and my English is not so good But overall I think that English language skills in Germany are quite reasonable. Of course not as good as in Scandinavia or the Netherlands. But in my opinion better than in France or Italy.
Your claim, that its very rare to find someone who can speak any English, is in my opinion entirely absurd. Sounds more like a stupid lie. That people in Poland are better in speaking English isn't that surprising. You don't have to be super smart to understand why they are better in speaking English.

When I travel around I normally try to learn at least a few useful phrases in the local language. Especially for someone from Sweden it shouldn't be a problem to learn a little bit German.

I am not a huge fan of rankings, but this ranking about English language skills seems not totally wrong in my experience:

EF EPI - Ranking der Englischkenntnisse nach Ländern

1. Sweden
2. Netherlands
3. Denmark
4. Norway
5. Finland
6. Slovenia
7. Estland
8. Luxemburg
9. Poland
10. Austria
11. Germany
17. Belgium
19. Switzerland
23. Spain
28. Italy
37. France
I'm a native English speaker, and I would agree with this list. When I travel in Europe, I find that more people in the capitals of course speak English. And in most countries, younger people speak better English than older people.

The Swedish must have very good English skills because the only place I have been there was in the far, far north -- a very remote location. Still, everyone there spoke English. A very old woman spoke to me in Swedish, and I said I was sorry I only speak English. She asked where I was from, and we carried on a decent conversation. After about five minutes, she said, "Well, I'm not one for speaking English to people. Good bye." lol... it was very funny to me. There are few other countries I would expect an old woman living in a country town to speak any English whatsoever.

The only Slovene I met spoke perfect English. It was uncanny how good his English was. And oddly, he had an American accent (I'm American, so that was doubly weird to me... I don't hear American accents much in Europe .. only from US tourists.)

I can also vouch for the Polish. I was surprised by how good the English skills are of people who live far outside of Warsaw. The Belgians go either way. In Flanders, their English is on par with the Dutch. In Walloonia, they are more comparable to the French.. decent, but not great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe