Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 08:26 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,904,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Turkey really has the EU by the balls. I guess they want 6 billion now to take the refugees back? They also want in the EU , which will allow muslim terrorists to move freely and work in EU. Thats Scary.

Turkey in the EU would be a huge mistake in my opinion it might be a better option to keep the one's they have but not allow any of their families in, put up a fence with armed guards on watch towers with orders to shoot anyone trying to cross and give Turkey the finger. Some of them would self deport under those conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 03:39 AM

1,704 posts, read 1,838,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
All I'm trying to say is moving to Russia should be an option for some of the refugees. Some of them are fleeing warfare and strife and seeking a better life, some are just looking for a hand out and to take advantage of the system.

Europe should work out a deal with Russia to take some of them, those willing to go. Russia/Europe can set them up and in a generation or so Russia will have productive citizens. Its not an idea just to be written off, it's viable and doable.

Just so long as idiots and window lickers don't mess up the deal from the start.

No one on this forum speaks for the desperate refugees who would like the opportunity if it was presented to them.
I agree with you.

The option to actually end up in Russia instead of Europe... the so called 'refugees' would think twice before coming to Europe. Russia would function as a migrant repellent

Old 03-08-2016, 03:45 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,560,332 times
I feel really sorry for Greeks.

They have already more than enough trouble and they have to deal with this as well.

Also NATO should be ashamed.

They can't even block inflatable boats

Old 03-08-2016, 03:57 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
All I'm trying to say is moving to Russia should be an option for some of the refugees. Some of them are fleeing warfare and strife and seeking a better life, some are just looking for a hand out and to take advantage of the system.

Europe should work out a deal with Russia to take some of them, those willing to go. Russia/Europe can set them up and in a generation or so Russia will have productive citizens. Its not an idea just to be written off, it's viable and doable.

Just so long as idiots and window lickers don't mess up the deal from the start.

No one on this forum speaks for the desperate refugees who would like the opportunity if it was presented to them.
It could have been a workable solution when Yeltsin was in charge but not with the current nationalistic government. Putin and his pals have nothing to gain from the increase of immigration (as i told you it isn't a matter of whether they can or not but it's a matter of whether they want to) and refugees simply don't want to head to Russia but try to get in whatever country they have relatives in. That's why a disproportionately large number of them want to go to Germany and Sweden. These two countries already had the largest Syrian and Kurd communities in the whole EU before.

Quote:
Turkey really has the EU by the balls. I guess they want 6 billion now to take the refugees back? They also want in the EU , which will allow muslim terrorists to move freely and work in EU. Thats Scary.
Turkey simply doesn't care, it's clear that Erdogan isn't someone who can be trusted by anyone. Merkel tried to mimick what Berlusconi had already succeeded doing with Gaddafi but it just didn't work because first of all Turkey has nothing to gain from more unskilled labour (they already have countless people looking for such jobs in their own country) but also because this migrant wave gives him the chance to simply blackmail European countries.

By the way, don't worry, nowadays no one wants Turkey to be a member of the European Union. I don't think Erdogan himself actually events wants to be part of it as of now.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:10 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,992,527 times
I think the Turkey - EU deal is flawed. Now they are saying, for every syrian refugee that EU returns to Turkey, the EU has to re-settle one in the EU from turkey.

On other good note. Macedonia, Croatia, Slovenia are finally closing borders ...

Slovenia, Serbia and Croatia move to close migrant route | News | DW.COM | 08.03.2016

Old 03-09-2016, 04:00 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,932 times
Quote:
I think the Turkey - EU deal is flawed. Now they are saying, for every syrian refugee that EU returns to Turkey, the EU has to re-settle one in the EU from turkey.

On other good note. Macedonia, Croatia, Slovenia are finally closing borders ...

Slovenia, Serbia and Croatia move to close migrant route | News | DW.COM | 08.03.2016
It isn't a good note. Don't you understand that this basically increases the pressure on a fellow European country such as Greece which already is on the verge of humanitarian collapse? The issue won't stop being one until Greece has managed to get its hotspots going and until it has a full control over his maritime borders.

Migrants could very well try to get into Albania and try to cross the Adriatic into Italy

Old 03-09-2016, 05:29 PM

257 posts, read 518,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
It isn't a good note. Don't you understand that this basically increases the pressure on a fellow European country such as Greece which already is on the verge of humanitarian collapse? The issue won't stop being one until Greece has managed to get its hotspots going and until it has a full control over his maritime borders.

Migrants could very well try to get into Albania and try to cross the Adriatic into Italy
Until Greece has managed to get its hotspots going? Seriously? They have been promising to get this done for months. There is no reason to believe that the Greeks will actually start doing what they are supposed to do, in other words, protecting the Greek Turkish border which also happens to be the EU Turkish border. It is a good thing that Croatia and other Balkan countries are closing their borders.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:08 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,992,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post

It actually is.. Turkey and Greece signed a deal on direct flights from Athens to Anarka for migrants to be returned.

They also signed on a few other topics. I don't think it would be possible if the borders closed.

Turkey, Greece agree on multiple topics in

Old 03-10-2016, 04:08 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,560,332 times
Quote:

The deal between Turkey and EU is not a deal at all.

But of course both sides will try to sell this to their people as a victory

Ultimate solution would be to deport these people to their countries if things calm a bit

Old 03-10-2016, 06:36 AM

324 posts, read 467,869 times
After all these months, this is the best the EU can do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe