Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 11:43 AM

39 posts, read 54,369 times

Advertisements

Spain,portugal and grecce have really low taxes,like 33%is the fiscal pression.So,even id they have lower gdp per capita than germany,italy or france,they have the same net gdp per capita at the end.So they should be rich like them,but they're not considered so.Why?Maybe is because they have lower taxes but less services too?Or,if not,why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 11:55 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,560,332 times
How can they be rich??

I mean Spain maybe but Greece and Portugal don't even have big land to build factories, plants...etc.

These are small countries.

I would also add corruption and crony capitalism to that.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:15 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
Maybe because of the low usage of the space bar. Might add to the productivity as it's not a waste of .................................................. SPACE! YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Honestly, I don't know, but still do. Some posters, like forgotten username, still insists on using a space before an exclamation or question mark as he's used to it due to his French background, though it's gramatically incorrect in English.

As French uses a space, Spanish uses inverted marks in the start of sentences and Italian uses a 100 diacritics nobody really can master, a lot of the Southern effort goes to waste. For example English ditched all diacritics except the occational é:s, Swedish and Finnish adopting the letters Ä and Ö, German taking Ä, the Swedes creating Ã… and the Dutch created IJ. These were given a status of real letters (unlike for example on a French AZERTY keyboard where you don't know where you get the œ symbol), and the language became more efficient.

French, Italians, Spaniards and especially the Greeks with their own weird alphabet spend half of their working day pressing the right buttons, destroying productivity, while Northern Europe with their sträIJtfårwärdé grammatics are making money.

Last edited by Ariete; 03-03-2016 at 12:25 PM..

Old 03-03-2016, 12:49 PM

30,390 posts, read 19,184,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsin View Post
Spain,portugal and grecce have really low taxes,like 33%is the fiscal pression.So,even id they have lower gdp per capita than germany,italy or france,they have the same net gdp per capita at the end.So they should be rich like them,but they're not considered so.Why?Maybe is because they have lower taxes but less services too?Or,if not,why?
Numbeo has a great tool for comparing cost versus average income after taxes....I compared Madrid to Paris, London, Berlin, & Rome. After taxes and COL are factored in, Madrid has a higher standard of living than London and Rome, 10% less than Paris, but substantially less than Berlin which has a high income and low cost of living.

I'm in Marbella, where the rich and famous reside, along with normal people as well and you don't see hardly any poverty and poor people here, even in the old section of town. Greece and Portugal aren't doing as well as Spain currently.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:54 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,128,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I'm in Marbella, where the rich and famous reside, along with normal people as well and you don't see hardly any poverty and poor people here, even in the old section of town. Greece and Portugal aren't doing as well as Spain currently.
Marbella hardly represents the situation in Spain, and living there gives you 0 insight into the country. Go live somewhere real and then report back to us.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:03 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,116,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsin View Post

Where do you get those numbers from?

This one? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_spending

Such comparisons are always questionable. What they consider a tax?

GDP per capita comparisons are pretty meaningless. "Net GDP"? Seems to be a pretty absurd term. The biggest part of taxes is used to finance social benefits for the people.
I guess you are an American. Most Americans think that taxes are a completely loss, because tax revenues disappear in some kind of a black hole.
How do you think are pensions in most European countries financed? It's not possible to conclude from figures like GDP per capita or tax to GDP ratios to the wellbeing of the people.

Old 03-03-2016, 05:39 PM

749 posts, read 856,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
How can they be rich??

I mean Spain maybe but Greece and Portugal don't even have big land to build factories, plants...etc.

These are small countries.

I would also add corruption and crony capitalism to that.
That is a silly argument as these aren't micro-states, England is similar size and had plenty of factories so it has nothing to do with size. No Western country has industry anyways.

Old 03-03-2016, 05:55 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,583,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
That is a silly argument as these aren't micro-states, England is similar size and had plenty of factories so it has nothing to do with size. No Western country has industry anyways.
There are some - Mercedes, BMW, SEAT, Volkswagen, Siemens, Cassidian, Airbus, Ericsson, Alcatel, + agricultural cooperatives, etc., etc.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:28 PM

30,390 posts, read 19,184,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arigarisha View Post
Marbella hardly represents the situation in Spain, and living there gives you 0 insight into the country. Go live somewhere real and then report back to us.
Marbella gives some insight into Spain just as Hollywood gives some insight into the USA even if both are not the typical community of those countries...there are plenty of Spaniards as well as foreigners in Marbella. And I often go to Malaga and travel around the area.

For living year round versus a vacation house currently, I would probably pick somewhere besides Marbella in Spain to live but I love the Mediterranean climate so much, I might just pick Malaga or possibly Barcelona.

Old 03-04-2016, 06:51 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,128,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Marbella gives some insight into Spain just as Hollywood gives some insight into the USA even if both are not the typical community of those countries...there are plenty of Spaniards as well as foreigners in Marbella. And I often go to Malaga and travel around the area.

For living year round versus a vacation house currently, I would probably pick somewhere besides Marbella in Spain to live but I love the Mediterranean climate so much, I might just pick Malaga or possibly Barcelona.
So don't talk about there barely being poverty just because you don't see it in the town where the privileged live. Read about the countless homeless from Sevilla who have to deal with people who find it amusing to attack them. Read about the many people who're still losing their homes all over the country, or how the rate of suicides has gone up after the crisis, and it hasn't gone back down since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe