Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 08:21 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,820,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuuKulgur View Post
I see that you are not quite acquainted with the situations on US campuses for example. Bat**** crazy doesn't come even remotely close to describing that.
No, i'm not. How could you, an Estonian, be well aware of what's going on such campuses though? That said, they are just radically chic. If you don't know the meaning of this word, here it is:

Quote:
Radical chic is a term coined by journalist Tom Wolfe in 1970 to describe the adoption and promotion of radical political causes by celebrities, socialites, and high society (and several college students may i add). The concept has been described as "an exercise in double-tracking one's public image: on the one hand, defining oneself through committed allegiance to a radical cause, but on the other, vitally, demonstrating this allegiance because it is the fashionable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 09:04 AM

1,704 posts, read 1,841,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
No, i'm not. How could you, an Estonian, be well aware of what's going on such campuses though? That said, they are just radically chic. If you don't know the meaning of this word, here it is:
Again if you are not aware of the situation (I don't blame you, as you being from southern Italy and all), don't go on about saying that x is not true if you have no idea about x.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Again if you are not aware of the situation (I don't blame you, as you being from southern Italy and all), don't go on about saying that x is not true if you have no idea about x.
As i told you, that's not what the left exclusively stands for. Aside from that, a large chunk of those college students will end up voting for Hillary Clinton which can hardly be described as a leftist in any way.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:31 AM

1,147 posts, read 720,234 times
The far-right frames multiculturalism as a complete failure that should be avoided altogether, whilst the regressive left frames multiculturalism as a complete success that should be embraced at all times without question.

Both approaches are problematic. Non-white people are not a homogenous group and shouldn't be treated as one.

Immigrants from certain Third World countries are found to experience great success in the West and their contributions should be acknowledged. Opposing immigration from these countries on the basis of colour is racist.

At the same time, there are also immigrants from places with cultures that are found to be at strong odds with Western culture. Some from this group end up becoming positive members of society, but speaking out against those who do not is not racist.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
The far-right frames multiculturalism as a complete failure that should be avoided altogether, whilst the regressive left frames multiculturalism as a complete success that should be embraced at all times without question.

Both approaches are problematic. Non-white people are not a homogenous group and shouldn't be treated as one.

Immigrants from certain Third World countries are found to experience great success in the West and their contributions should be acknowledged. Opposing immigration from these countries on the basis of colour is racist.

At the same time, there are also immigrants from places with cultures that are found to be at strong odds with Western culture. Some from this group end up becoming positive members of society, but speaking out against those who do not is not racist.
Pretty much.

But if one would follow the leftist approach to multikulti (bringing in muslims in Europes case), the results would be ass in the end.

Instead of bringing in muslims and thus creating a cesspool where religious extremism can thrive, immigration should rather be encouraged from the Americas and SEA regions.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:49 PM

324 posts, read 468,491 times
The left's defense of multiculturalism always centers on calling those in opposition racist. It's an effective way to deflect, but it's very unfortunate that we can't have a real debate on the issue of multiculturalism and how it actually affects a nation

Old 04-23-2016, 09:19 PM

783 posts, read 698,070 times
I typically dislike this kind of thing. I simply don't care about whether or not people choose to reproduce. But I do not like someone trying to get some group to reproduce more. I think that it is just fine if Danes want to reproduce less. As long as that is their choice.

Old 04-24-2016, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Pretty much.

But if one would follow the leftist approach to multikulti (bringing in muslims in Europes case), the results would be ass in the end.

Instead of bringing in muslims and thus creating a cesspool where religious extremism can thrive, immigration should rather be encouraged from the Americas and SEA regions.
The thing is that i agree with him as well, our interpretations of what he's said are different though. I think that immigrants from countries at odds with Western culture should be accepted and that it should be us who must try to bring these immigrants closer to our culture and ease them in their host country (obligatory courses so that they can learn our culture and language and be able to gain enough competences to find work or open a business themselves).

I think immigrants should be regularly tested though so that their degree of integration in our own country can be verified, if results aren't fulfilling neither in the short nor in the medium term then we should come up with a solution

Old 04-24-2016, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
The thing is that i agree with him as well, our interpretations of what he's said are different though. I think that immigrants from countries at odds with Western culture should be accepted and that it should be us who must try to bring these immigrants closer to our culture and ease them in their host country (obligatory courses so that they can learn our culture and language and be able to gain enough competences to find work or open a business themselves).

I think immigrants should be regularly tested though so that their degree of integration in our own country can be verified, if results aren't fulfilling neither in the short nor in the medium term then we should come up with a solution
Yea, create/import problems on your own and then spend time and resources trying to solve them. Why would you?

Old 04-24-2016, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Yea, create/import problems on your own and then spend time and resources trying to solve them. Why would you?
Because the amount of successful integrated immigrants far outweights the number of those who create problems and because Europe is in need of such immigrants due to the decreasing and ageing population. Our current welfare system simply becomes unsustainable without a young working force
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe