Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2016, 05:44 PM

283 posts, read 261,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Yes, probably. Because Europeans are NOT preoccupied with "globalization" ( read the money streaming in certain pockets) and "quality of life" for those with money. They are ( well, WERE until recent times) preoccupied with the well-being of their society AS A WHOLE, as much as a quality of life for ALL members of their society.

Europe was probably not even in NEED of such technology to begin with...
And how's that working out for them?

Europe is the world's worst-performing economic region, while simultaneously growing debt (total, public and private) faster than anywhere outside China, all while income equality declines, incomes declines, and terrorist attacks increase, and entire countries flirt with bankruptcy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 05:54 PM

26,866 posts, read 22,718,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachF View Post
And how's that working out for them?
It was working just fine for them ( until recently I'd think, when the US decided to go "globally," shoving its stuff on "different shelves" starting from China, and making its companies "feel home" everywhere, thus reaching for new sources of profits. Americans call it "international competition" from what I remember.
Of course THIS put pressure on the economy of European countries ( particularly after they've lost Russia as a potential market for THEIR goods,) so they had to re-adjust and to scramble somewhat under these circumstances. But BEFORE that, they were doing quite well with their prerogatives, I'd say.

Quote:
Europe is the world's worst-performing economic region, while simultaneously growing debt (total, public and private) faster than anywhere outside China, all while income equality declines, incomes declines, and terrorist attacks increase, and entire countries flirt with bankruptcy.
Now tell me more about AMERICAN debt please, and what it's all about.

Old 07-22-2016, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
I said it earlier and I'll say it again, they are the world's washing machine. It's very easy to have a great lifestyle when much of the evil rich people's money is hidden there. They have quite a financial services industry for such a small population, wonder why...

How very liberal!
Honestly, If you look at the countries that have a higher GDP per head than the US, pretty much all of them fall into 2 categories:

1). Tiny little financial centers who launder (or in Macao's case gamble) for countries much larger than themselves (Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, Macao, Switzerland, Singapore, etc.)

2). Countries who literally dig or drill their economy out of the ground (Norway, Qatar, Australia, etc) and sell it to much larger countries.

you won't find many diversified economies other than the US near the top of the list.

Old 07-22-2016, 05:58 PM

Quote:
It was working just fine for them ( until recently I'd think, when the US decided to go "globally," shoving its stuff on "different shelves" starting from China, and making its companies "feel home" everywhere, thus reaching for new sources of profits. Americans call it "international competition" from what I remember.
Of course THIS put pressure on the economy of European countries ( particularly after they've lost Russia as a potential market for THEIR goods,) so they had to re-adjust and to scramble somewhat under these circumstances. But BEFORE that, they were doing quite well with their prerogatives, I'd say.

Now tell me more about AMERICAN debt please, and what it's all about.
See the chart I posted earlier. Since 2007 US public debt has grown, but private debt has shrunk, In Europe, public, household, and corporate debt has all grown substantially.

Old 07-22-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
See the chart I posted earlier. Since 2007 US public debt has grown, but private debt has shrunk, In Europe, public, household, and corporate debt has all grown substantially.
here:

Old 07-22-2016, 06:02 PM

26,866 posts, read 22,718,644 times
Quote:
And the difference it makes at the end is...?

Old 07-22-2016, 06:30 PM

6,475 posts, read 8,231,031 times
Quote:
Overall debt is growing faster in Europe, from a larger base, in a slower-growing economy.

Public debt is low in Scandinavia and Switzerland, but private debt is among the highest on earth. Scandinavia now has a huge housing bubble and corresponding private debt load. When the bubble pops this debt load will likely be "transferred" to the public sector as happened in Ireland.
There is not a housing bubble in Norway. Why? Because it is a housing shortage in Oslo. The level of subprime mortgages are also very low. It is not a f@@ked up system like in the US.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:05 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,970,558 times
Quote:
Honestly, If you look at the countries that have a higher GDP per head than the US, pretty much all of them fall into 2 categories:

1). Tiny little financial centers who launder (or in Macao's case gamble) for countries much larger than themselves (Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, Macao, Switzerland, Singapore, etc.)

2). Countries who literally dig or drill their economy out of the ground (Norway, Qatar, Australia, etc) and sell it to much larger countries.

you won't find many diversified economies other than the US near the top of the list.
In addition to the financial services industry, Switzerland also has Nestle, Novartis, Roche, ABB, Swiss Re and Zurich Insurance. They have an armaments industry based around Oerlikon, industrial fragrances with Firmenich, a thriving watch industry and a strong precision engineering sector.

So they are much more than a "tiny little financial center".

Last edited by Jaggy001; 07-22-2016 at 07:20 PM..

Old 07-22-2016, 07:55 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,061,802 times
Quote:
Yes, probably. Because Europeans are NOT preoccupied with "globalization" ( read the money streaming in certain pockets) and "quality of life" for those with money. They are ( well, WERE until recent times) preoccupied with the well-being of their society AS A WHOLE, as much as a quality of life for ALL members of their society.
Wealthy Europeans were never preoccupied with the well being of society beyond how it helped them and their families. Why do you think they hide and have hidden so much money in places like -- Switzerland? Nobody wants money voted out their pockets. Do you send extra tax money in order help your government make ends meet? I don't.

Old 07-23-2016, 04:52 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,121,573 times
Quote:
Overall debt is growing faster in Europe, from a larger base, in a slower-growing economy.

Public debt is low in Scandinavia and Switzerland, but private debt is among the highest on earth. Scandinavia now has a huge housing bubble and corresponding private debt load. When the bubble pops this debt load will likely be "transferred" to the public sector as happened in Ireland.

Where are those graphics and data from? They seem a little bit faked. Just for example: According to Eurostat, public debt in Spain was 99.3% and not 132%. In the Netherlands it was 68.2% and not 83%. In Germany it was 74.7% and not 80%. For all European countries your source shows debt figures that are obviously too high. In contrast to that, according to your figures the debt to GDP ratio for the U.S. is lower than its actually is. 89% from your figures vs. the reality of 104%.

It's not the first time that you use very questionable sources. You should use original sources instead of figures from some right-wing propaganda sites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe