Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 03:44 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Rubbish. Commieblocks never got out of fashion in Russia due to rapid urbanisation which is still ongoing and people moving to Moscow and St. Pete creating a housing shortage. Today they are only a bit fancier.
http://previews.123rf.com/images/rat...apartments.jpg
http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/854d4696a7...-in-h2fecn.jpg
I didn't say anything about them being in or out of fashion. I'm talking about the policy, or lack thereof, for repairs and maintenance of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2017, 04:05 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I didn't say anything about them being in or out of fashion. I'm talking about the policy, or lack thereof, for repairs and maintenance of them.
Yeah, got it. Nowadays the standards have risen at least to my knowledge.

Old 02-11-2017, 04:18 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Yeah, got it. Nowadays the standards have risen at least to my knowledge.
It certainly seems so from the Belgorod photos, anyway. I don't know how typical that is.

Old 02-11-2017, 04:55 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,438,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civis View Post
Yes, and in the US the government is constantly worried about "cost analysis", right? Yet, somehow so many sleep on the streets and in ghettos in the world's "richest" country.
Very true. Here in Seattle where a studio apartment (jail cell) goes for $1000 to $2500 a month we could use some of those commie blocks. Its a much more efficient use of space especially where space is limited. You can house hundreds of people on a city block or you can house thousands. Do the math. Homeless who cannot afford even the roach hotels of the slumlords are all over the place.

Quote:
That's an understatement! It's not that the people themselves don't care. It's that the regime doesn't allocate funds for regular maintenance. In the Soviet system, there was no concept of protecting an investment; public housing as an investment by the regime. There was no concept of real estate as a commodity that had a cost, other than the initial construction cost.

So once buildings were built, they were allowed to deteriorate through neglect. This reached an extreme in the far north, where plumbing repairs never got done, so there is constant flow through the building onto the ground (you can see this, because the buildings are all on stilts, to avoid melting of the permafrost), and they eventually collapse. Around the city of Yakutsk, you can see half-collapsed apartment buildings. The residents are evacuated and re-assigned to other buildings. No one in the government has done a cost analysis to compare the cost of doing regular maintenance to the cost of building a new building every 30 years, or whatever, and tearing the old one down.
That's not been my experience. I have seen bad ones and good. In Gomel Belarus I saw brigades of men in trucks going through the raions tearing the exteriors of buildings off and putting up all new siding ect while painting each building a different combination of colors. They were also replacing the utilities in them and on the street. Lamposts, curbs, macadam and underground piping. What struck me as funny is when all of this furious activity was over there was no landscaping at all done.

The process took about 5 days and it was in North west Gomel on Pavlova street. They did 4 or five buildings in the area and moved on. The buildings I was in when I stayed in Belgorod on Koneva were shabby looking but a few years ago I saw pictures of them with all re done exteriors.

Things are done just how I don't know.

Here in Seattle we're getting the brunt of the type of bad budgeting you mentioned. Many of the escalators and elevators throughout the metro are not working. This is due to poor budgeting for maintenance (apparently little if any) and poor planning during design.

Old 02-12-2017, 11:57 AM

2,216 posts, read 1,021,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
In WWII Belgorod saw heavy fighting and changed hands several times, for all intents it was destroyed. Just to the north is Kursk where the largest battle of armor in history took place. It was rebuilt and when I was there I was in the same area Thrust was. I was in a rented apartment on Koneva St. I remember the apartments that have what looks like sails on them. They were new back then.
Russians don't seem to care much for looks or the maintenance of exteriors. A lot of the older Kruschovskis are usually in need of exterior work across the board.
Kruschovskis began to repair those that Bogdanka, they make new facade, insulation and so on.

Old 02-12-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm sorry, Turist, for interrupting your tour of Belgorod. Please continue.
Yes, yes, I left for the weekend))

Old 02-12-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Haha, an UAZ jeep. We had those in the military. Terrible, horrible cars.
But however vitality and permeability that they nado.Ih removed from production, but last year, the plant had to renew it because of the great demand and many applications.
That's how it was.
In the forest and other wild places, this machine is indispensable, as it turned out.

You know)) The steeper the jeep, the farther to go behind the tractor)

Old 02-12-2017, 12:25 PM

These are the wooden figures on the playground.

We continue the walk.
There has come the next day and I went back to the city for a walk.
What I wanted to take pictures in this photo? I do not know, I can not remember. I will leave it here.

Old 02-12-2017, 12:27 PM

9,977 posts, read 5,677,344 times
No wonder Russians drink so much.

Old 02-12-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
No wonder Russians drink so much.
Straight drink a lot? Are you so sure?
Or I misunderstood what you wrote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe