Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 11:54 PM

102,198 posts, read 107,842,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Believe it or not, they actually run data on things like this. Shocking I know.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.teleg...the-world/amp/
OK, so the former Yugoslavia has 4 countries out of 10 in the tallest-people ranking. I guess that counts as Eastern Europe. Not what I had in mind, but ok. And apparently Czechs are tall, but they have a lot of German blood, so that may explain it. Otherwise, the Germanic countries take the prize. I didn't realize Norwegians are among the tallest in Europe. That sure wasn't true when I was in Norway! Times change.

Old 09-21-2017, 01:34 AM

602 posts, read 495,740 times
Well, they do eat a lot of cabbage.

And Adidas tracksuits are not only extremely comfortable, but also have plenty of room to grow in.

Old 09-21-2017, 02:28 AM

61,672 posts, read 87,060,489 times
You are probably right about the food. There have been times when Americans were taller, on average, than many Europeans.
Poverty and nutrition both have a lot to do with stature.
Data collected from the federal Centers for Disease Control show that average height for Americans has stabilized in the past 50 years to about 5 feet 9 inches for men and 5 feet 4 inches for women.
The stagnation of growth in the USA compared to Northern European populations could be due to different national healthcare systems - for example, the Dutch have access to socialized medicine that Americans do not. They also provide the "world's best" pre and post-natal care. Access to healthcare and a welfare state, the quality of care given to pregnant women and babies, social status and access to a balanced diet all influenced height.

Average Male Height By Country | Average Height for men

Old 09-21-2017, 03:22 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,124,066 times
Well I had a Polish girlfriend for a few years and can attest to the fact that Pierogies fried in onions, butter, and speck will make you bigger.

Old 09-21-2017, 04:06 AM

779 posts, read 595,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
You are probably right about the food. There have been times when Americans were taller, on average, than many Europeans.
Poverty and nutrition both have a lot to do with stature.
Data collected from the federal Centers for Disease Control show that average height for Americans has stabilized in the past 50 years to about 5 feet 9 inches for men and 5 feet 4 inches for women.
The stagnation of growth in the USA compared to Northern European populations could be due to different national healthcare systems - for example, the Dutch have access to socialized medicine that Americans do not. They also provide the "world's best" pre and post-natal care. Access to healthcare and a welfare state, the quality of care given to pregnant women and babies, social status and access to a balanced diet all influenced height.

Average Male Height By Country | Average Height for men
What?

?

This is utter nonsense.

Probably the reason why growth in height has stagnated in the US is the influx of people beyond the southern border who on average tend to be smaller. Nothing to do with socialized healthcare and other shenanigans.

Old 09-21-2017, 05:50 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,018,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
That doesn't really apply to places like Greece or Bulgaria though.
With winters like the last one in bulgaria that's debatable. And since when is Greece in EE? But I guess to you they're just wogs

Old 09-21-2017, 07:26 AM

536 posts, read 323,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
With winters like the last one in bulgaria that's debatable. And since when is Greece in EE? But I guess to you they're just wogs
Well if people call catholic and using latin alphabet Slovakia , Poland eastern europe so I guess that they can think that orthodox , and not using latin alphabet Greece feels even more eastern .

Anyway back to the subject . To me average russians , ukrainians look smaller , much weaker built and narrower shouldered than average germans , danes or swedes for example .

Old 09-21-2017, 07:39 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,494,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
How is Greece not in Eastern Europe?

I'm using EE more as a geographical term rather than a political one.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:23 AM

536 posts, read 323,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
How is Greece not in Eastern Europe?

I'm using EE more as a geographical term rather than a political one.
Greece borders Turkey so it is geographically an eastern european country , but it is even more of an eastern european country culturally . I don't know why so many people treat Greece as not eastern european country just because it was not communist country . Many people seem to divide Europe on eastern and western basing it on whether the country was communist or wheter it was not communist . It is wrong .

Old 09-21-2017, 08:36 AM

779 posts, read 595,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPreussen View Post
Greece borders Turkey so it is geographically an eastern european country , but it is even more of an eastern european country culturally . I don't know why so many people treat Greece as not eastern european country just because it was not communist country . Many people seem to divide Europe on eastern and western basing it on whether the country was communist or wheter it was not communist . It is wrong .
A communist party is now in power in Greece. Guess the past is more relevant and important than the present.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe