Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 05:34 PM

1,100 posts, read 1,215,830 times

Advertisements

At this moment, Nightwish is favourite nordic innovation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrJvKZNEh7g
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 10:49 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Alfred Nobel’s invention which would end war.

Old 11-26-2017, 04:34 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
You probably have seen one of these. You have to, as over a billion have been sold. Finnish orange Fiskars scissors:

And you shouldn't forget this non PC heroine:
The Fiskars were great back when they were actually made in Finland. The Chinese manufactured ones aren't the same.

What is wrong with Pippi? I haven't watched those movies since I was under ten years old so my memory is a bit fuzzy.

Old 11-26-2017, 05:20 PM

26,788 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhityk View Post
Last but not least, I am trying to answer to op. My favourite invention from Nordics? Obviously it is Finland with it's many work places, be it a factory or a public toilet. Working there or cleaning a Finnish public WC - that helps Estonians to survive if their "almost Scandinavian" "salaries" of ca 500 euros net per month what are paid them in Estonia does not seem fot them attractive enough.
Gees...
I thought it were only Lithuanians that were used as cheap labor in EU, but I see that Estonians too?
Oh the *success story* of joining this coveted "club"
I am sorry to hear that Anhityk - as I've already said before, I was surprised ( and saddened) to discover a different side of that rosy picture of "joining the EU."

Old 11-26-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
You probably have seen one of these. You have to, as over a billion have been sold. Finnish orange Fiskars scissors:

If you're interested in WWII, you have probably seen one of these. Swedish Bofors 40 mm anti-air gun:

And one of these:

Note that petrol bombs with rags had been used already in the Spanish Civil War, but not a mixture of alcohol, petrol and tar ignited with storm matches, produced on an industrial scale.

Aaaaand of course this:

And you shouldn't forget this non PC heroine:
When it comes to "Nordics," - it was not Pippi Longstocking, ( never cared for her,) however I'd be still interested in this particular invention.
I want one on my back too)))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFZZvzNvK1k

P.S. Something else I can think of - a favorite from my childhood;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wo...ntures_of_Nils

Old 11-27-2017, 01:02 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
What is wrong with Pippi? I haven't watched those movies since I was under ten years old so my memory is a bit fuzzy.
I was mostly referring to her personality. I don't think there's much wrong with her except for that she uses the N-word.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:43 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
I was mostly referring to her personality. I don't think there's much wrong with her except for that she uses the N-word.
I wouldn't eat anything she cooked, either.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:53 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,386,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Gees...
I thought it were only Lithuanians that were used as cheap labor in EU, but I see that Estonians too?
Oh the *success story* of joining this coveted "club"
Certain and voicy circles of Estonia love to paint a better and more rosy picture about the life here. Those circles love to blah blah something about macro economy but in fact their ''success''-stories have had no impact to ordinary people. Of course Estonia has the same problems what Lithuania. And mainly it is: too low incomes, too low incomes what are paid for work here.

Quote:
I am sorry to hear that Anhityk - as I've already said before, I was surprised ( and saddened) to discover a different side of that rosy picture of "joining the EU."
You know, I have to tell that the fact itself of being within EU has not worsened the situation, truth must be told. The joining of EU has had on the contrary a positve aspect - because the free movement of labour force within EU many Estonians have had a possibility to leave these "rosy" salaries here and to go to work wealthy Eu countries. Thus, the positive aspect is that those very who left have better standard of life now. But negative aspect is of course the emigration itself. Estonia has too few people anyway and now it in turn has had one percentage-wise of the biggest exodus of the people.

Old 11-30-2017, 02:47 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Lego is on the list.

Modern wind turbines have been at the forefront of Nordic energy thinking for many years now. Vestas has something like 25% market share, worldwide - not bad for a company that started out as a village blacksmith.

Copenhagenization - building a city that works with fewer cars and more bicycles. Safer, quieter, healthier and you don't have to pave over half your inner city for parking lots. One of the great examples of countering those who say "It can't work" by simply building something that does work.

Saccharmoyces Carlsbergensis, of course. What is that, you ask? The World's first pure lager yeast strain. Isolated and cultured by Emil Chr. Hansen, founder of the Carlsberg Brewery, it led to a revolution in brewing. If you like beer, you owe him a bit of thanks.

Old 12-01-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhityk View Post
Certain and voicy circles of Estonia love to paint a better and more rosy picture about the life here. Those circles love to blah blah something about macro economy but in fact their ''success''-stories have had no impact to ordinary people. Of course Estonia has the same problems what Lithuania. And mainly it is: too low incomes, too low incomes what are paid for work here.
Oh, I understand this part perfectly well Anhityk..

Quote:
You know, I have to tell that the fact itself of being within EU has not worsened the situation, truth must be told. The joining of EU has had on the contrary a positve aspect - because the free movement of labour force within EU many Estonians have had a possibility to leave these "rosy" salaries here and to go to work wealthy Eu countries. Thus, the positive aspect is that those very who left have better standard of life now. But negative aspect is of course the emigration itself. Estonia has too few people anyway and now it in turn has had one percentage-wise of the biggest exodus of the people.
If someone would offered me to "join the club," because the club is in need of someone cleaning its bathrooms - sorry, I wouldn't be happy with this kind of membership.
But may be that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe