Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 01:43 AM

7,301 posts, read 5,185,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I was posting in response to someone who said the Turkish people are white.
The founding of Rome is mythologically traced back to Aeneas, who escaped from Troy, in today's Turkey, after it fell to the Greeks-- "The Trojan Horse story." I'm Sicilian and have been described as
"off-white."

Back in the 70s after the Japanese made a significant dent in the sales of the American Big Three, union workers became fond of displaying bumper stickers "Made in America by Americans." I was tempted to put out a sticker for Mercedes that would read "Made in Germany by Greeks & Armenians."....People go where the jobs are. We had a Great Migration here too when many southerners came north looking for work ("Last naaght Ah fell a-sleep in Dee-trawt cit-tee... Bah day Ah make the carrs, bah naaght Ah make the barrs...")....And here as in Germany, these laboring immigrants have a lower social status than the natives....The sociologists tell us it takes 4 generations for migrants to become fully integrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 10:16 AM

102,250 posts, read 108,166,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
The founding of Rome is mythologically traced back to Aeneas, who escaped from Troy, in today's Turkey, after it fell to the Greeks-- "The Trojan Horse story." I'm Sicilian and have been described as
"off-white."
Cute!
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto;
Back in the 70s after the Japanese made a significant dent in the sales of the American Big Three, union workers became fond of displaying bumper stickers "Made in America by Americans." I was tempted to put out a sticker for Mercedes that would read "Made in Germany by Greeks & Armenians."....People go where the jobs are. We had a Great Migration here too when many southerners came north looking for work ("Last naaght Ah fell a-sleep in Dee-trawt cit-tee... Bah day Ah make the carrs, bah naaght Ah make the barrs...")....And here as in Germany, these laboring immigrants have a lower social status than the natives....The sociologists tell us it takes 4 generations for migrants to become fully integrated.
Re: the bolded--you should! My brother found a website where you can design and print your own bumper sticker, for a minor fee. He has a lot of fun with that. (He's kind of a crank.)

The Big Three deserve what they got from Toyota. Planned Obsolescence is a crime against the consumer. Thank heaven Congress disagreed with the automakers' demand for protective import taxation against foreign car manufacturers! I've been very happy with Toyota and Honda. I plan on keeping it that way.

Old 01-04-2018, 01:58 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,738,233 times
Folks, as the thread continues, remember it has a topic and race or what you personally consider white, as .."interesting" as it might be, is not it.
Just a reminder, before this thread gets derailed and turned into another pointless fight over race.
Yac.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:22 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,885,198 times
Are you white? In my experience, Germans on average are not very friendly to nonwhite tourists. Even Parisians are friendlier.

With all due respect , you seem very ignorant of today's German Multikulti society (multicultural, even in excess).
They even have a black crooner :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM4li-Oa8sQ

Old 01-04-2018, 02:48 PM

20,770 posts, read 20,016,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
I stayed in the city of Hamm, in western region of Germany. They love Christmas. Italian restaurants seem to be the favorite. Sausage and beer, sweet things, bread, cold cuts for breakfast is big here. They are orderly to a fault, the guy hosting me made us stop at a cross walk at 11pm at night when there was no traffic. American music/entertainment is popular, just like it is in UK. Interior design of buildings are efficient. Windows are big. Brick roads are common and beautiful. Buildings aren't as nice as London but good. Friendly people, more than I expected. Love to drink smoke and eat meat. Taller than any country I visited, they should play more sports. Probably one of the best places to visit if you want no risk of falling sick. Definitely carry cash and also a German translation book/data.
They do play a lot of sports. Everyone I know does at least one sport at least once a week on a regular basis, even if it is just the gym. Kids are usually very active outside of school, too. I played volleyball, track and field, ski, snowboard, ice skate, table tennis and jogged on the weekends when I grew up - that was pretty normal in the 80s.

If you look at the Olympics and all the other worldwide competitions, their achievements are great overall despite being such a little country. The main sport for men is soccer (world champion!!!).

Old 01-07-2018, 07:02 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,099,822 times
Germans really know how to do Christmas up right!

Old 01-07-2018, 02:52 PM

344 posts, read 245,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
I stayed in the city of Hamm, in western region of Germany. They love Christmas. Italian restaurants seem to be the favorite. Sausage and beer, sweet things, bread, cold cuts for breakfast is big here. They are orderly to a fault, the guy hosting me made us stop at a cross walk at 11pm at night when there was no traffic. American music/entertainment is popular, just like it is in UK. Interior design of buildings are efficient. Windows are big. Brick roads are common and beautiful. Buildings aren't as nice as London but good. Friendly people, more than I expected. Love to drink smoke and eat meat. Taller than any country I visited, they should play more sports. Probably one of the best places to visit if you want no risk of falling sick. Definitely carry cash and also a German translation book/data.
Glad you enjoyed! I have always enjoyed my time in Germany. I've traveled to several places within the country - all very different. I love the food, the people, the scenery, the castles, the rivers, the scenery... I've yet to enjoy at Christmastime (Germany is definitely known for its Christmas markets). I think it's nice to learn a few words of the language wherever you go. And if you have a smart phone, use one of the translation apps, which are especially good for any place where less is English is understood/spoken.

Old 01-07-2018, 03:31 PM

5 posts, read 2,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
That is not true. I know of non Whites that lived in Germany and had no problem living there. As long as you are respectful.
Interesting. Your repliy seems to hint that non-whites have a tendency to be disrespectful.

Old 01-07-2018, 10:03 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,509,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
They do play a lot of sports. Everyone I know does at least one sport at least once a week on a regular basis, even if it is just the gym. Kids are usually very active outside of school, too. I played volleyball, track and field, ski, snowboard, ice skate, table tennis and jogged on the weekends when I grew up - that was pretty normal in the 80s.

If you look at the Olympics and all the other worldwide competitions, their achievements are great overall despite being such a little country. The main sport for men is soccer (world champion!!!).
80+ million hardly constitutes as small. They also happen to have the largest economy in the EU.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:50 AM

29,528 posts, read 22,735,060 times
I'm not white and I had an amazing time in the Frankfurt area years ago. I saw the "Snow White" castle and toured the local cities and even went on a nice river cruise. I never felt unwelcome or out of place. I was struck by how clean and modern everything was, but also the history and beautiful architecture of structures.

I've never understood this 'friendly locals' thing when it comes to visiting foreign countries. I've visited multiple countries/cities throughout the years, and not once place ever stood out to me for its locals being exceptionally 'friendly' to me. It's not a factor at all in how I like a destination.

I do realize there's been a resurgence of extreme right wing activities throughout Europe, but I haven't experienced it. But I haven't been to some of the epicenters of these types of people in places like Berlin though, so can't speak to that.

Russia for sure is one country though I have no inclination of ever visiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe