Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 04:18 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,985,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Anyone who thinks Italy is not Mediterranean, needs to look at a map.
Yeah! It surely not in the North Sea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 05:11 PM

37 posts, read 82,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Yeah! It surely not in the North Sea.
Its not mediterranean at all in any other way besides it geographically bordering it is the point

Old 02-01-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvbn4 View Post
Its not mediterranean at all in any other way besides it geographically bordering it is the point
The only area in Italy that is Germanic is the German speaking regions of Italy, and it culturally closer to Austria than Italy. I do admit I have mistaken them for Germans or Austrians, but I never do with Italians.

I often encounter Italians and people of Italian background and there is no way they are Germanic unless they speak a Germanic language as their first language. Hey even here people can mistaken Italians for Lebanese. I have encountered Italians that look darker than than the typical Spanish or Greek people, yet the Italians who are dark claim they are of Italian background. There is nothing wrong with that, and I consider them fully Italian.

Even so Italians are mixed race just like all the races in the world are mixed. There is no pure race.

Last edited by other99; 02-01-2018 at 06:11 PM..

Old 02-01-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
The only area in Italy that is Germanic is the German speaking regions of Italy, and it culturally closer to Austria than Italy. I do admit I have mistaken them for Germans or Austrians, but I never do with Italians.

I often encounter Italians and people of Italian background and there is no way they are Germanic unless they speak a Germanic language as their first language. Hey even here people can mistaken Italians for Lebanese. I have encountered Italians that look darker than than the typical Spanish or Greek people, yet the Italians who are dark claim they are of Italian background.

Even so Italians are mixed race just like all the races in the world are mixed. There is no pure race.
Language has nothing to do with it because asians and black people around the world who speak English wouldn't be considered Germanic now would they? I dont know what Italian you've seen but any Italians like that with dark features who looked Greek or Spanish were probably mixed or just rare atypical types which are found in every European country. The majority of Italians have light hair and light eyes though and yes they look Germanic. But you're right that some Italians are mixed. Mixed with mediterraneans in some cases. Its not a coincidence that mediterranean types in/from Italy are only found in areas where Greeks and other mediterranean people have historically been in and why those ones are so different from the majority of Italians. You seem to have a completely wrong perception about how Italians really are

Last edited by cvbn4; 02-01-2018 at 06:27 PM..

Old 02-01-2018, 06:50 PM

2,300 posts, read 1,522,955 times
One third of Italians are in the southern part, which includes Rome and Abruzzo. The majority of these people are brown eyed and olive skinned. You cannot really discount one third of the population.
Please explain why it is important. I cannot understand the point you are trying to make. Is it that you think it is more desirable to be Germanic?

Old 02-01-2018, 06:50 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
When the Germanic tribes settled, did they genocide all the people already there, or just intermix with them?

Old 02-01-2018, 06:57 PM

130,332 posts, read 12,112,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
One third of Italians are in the southern part, which includes Rome and Abruzzo. The majority of these people are brown eyed and olive skinned. You cannot really discount one third of the population.
Please explain why it is important. I cannot understand the point you are trying to make. Is it that you think it is more desirable to be Germanic?

I also do not understand, why it is important, most European countries are well mixed, over the centuries.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvbn4 View Post
Language has nothing to do with it because asians and black people around the world who speak English wouldn't be considered Germanic now would they? I dont know what Italian you've seen but any Italians like that with dark features who looked Greek or Spanish were probably mixed or just rare atypical types which are found in every European country. The majority of Italians have light hair and light eyes though and yes they look Germanic. But you're right that some Italians are mixed. Mixed with mediterraneans in some cases. Its not a coincidence that mediterranean types in/from Italy are only found in areas where Greeks and other mediterranean people have historically been in and why those ones are so different from the majority of Italians. You seem to have a completely wrong perception about how Italians really are
I stated there are Italians I know that are darker than the typical Greek or Spanish. Even there are Indians that told me or Lebanese that have told me that they thought the person was Lebanese, but really was Italian. In addition my country, people of Italian background are one of the biggest ethnic groups in my country, and 20 years ago they were the biggest ethnic minority, so don't tell me how wrong I am. They used to be called Wog, just like Spanish, Greeks, Lebanese and Serbians. You can tell anyone in my country that Italian people were commonly called wog. I also meet a lot of Italian tourists as well. Of course there are blondes in Italy but a majority of them are fake blondes, just like the majority of women in my country Australia who have blonde hair are fake blondes. You can tell due to the dark roots of their hair.

Yes there are differences between northern and Southern Italy yet Italy has so much dialects. Even so the differences are not major, and the people in the South are as Italian as the North. Actually Southern Italy population has declined, and so many have left that region. There been huge migrations of Southern Italians to the North Italy, just like in the UK there been huge migrations of people from Northern England and Scotland that moved to Southern England. People have always been migrating, since the first humans first appeared on Earth.

Also it is backed up in science that there is no such thing as a pure race and everyone is mixed.

New studies show that almost all indigenous Europeans descend from at least three major migrations in the past 15,000 years, including two from the Middle East. Those migrants swept across Europe, mingled with previous immigrants, and then remixed to create the peoples of today.

“We can falsify this notion that anyone is pure,” says population geneticist Lynn Jorde of the University of Utah in Salt Lake City. Instead, almost all modern humans “have this incredibly complex history of mixing and mating and migration.”
https://geneticliteracyproject.org/2...-civilization/

Oh the shock horror that Europeans ancestors were also Middle Eastern!

Last edited by other99; 02-01-2018 at 08:19 PM..

Old 02-01-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
If some look like that its because Greeks and other mediterraneans made them look that way but its not the way most Italians look like. Thats why those types are a minority that come from the Greek colonized areas of Italy. Like i said before, not a coincidence. Its not hard to understand. It seems like you dont know much about Italy. And I dont understand you. Do you have a thing for mediterraneans or something? If you do then people from Greece or Spain(both people the only reason why some Italians even look mediterranean in the first place) should be more for you but why drag Italians into your fantasy

Last edited by cvbn4; 02-01-2018 at 07:59 PM..

Old 02-01-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I stated there are Italians I know that are darker than the typical Greek or Spanish. Even there are Indians that told me or Lebanese that have told me that they thought the person was Lebanese, but really was Italian. In addition my country, people of Italian background are one of the biggest ethnic groups in my country, and 20 years ago they were the biggest ethnic minority, so don't tell me how wrong I am. They used to be called Wog, just like Spanish, Greeks, Lebanese and Serbians. You can tell anyone in my country that Italian people were commonly called wog. I also meet a lot of Italian tourists as well.

Also it is backed up in science that there is no such thing as a pure race and everyone is mixed.

New studies show that almost all indigenous Europeans descend from at least three major migrations in the past 15,000 years, including two from the Middle East. Those migrants swept across Europe, mingled with previous immigrants, and then remixed to create the peoples of today.

“We can falsify this notion that anyone is pure,” says population geneticist Lynn Jorde of the University of Utah in Salt Lake City. Instead, almost all modern humans “have this incredibly complex history of mixing and mating and migration.”
https://geneticliteracyproject.org/2...-civilization/

Oh the shock horror that Europeans ancestors were also Middle Eastern!
So i'm guessing you're from Australia. Spanish, Greeks, Lebanese and Serbians(and other people from the balkans) are all usually darker and less typically white looking than Italians in general. The reason for this makes sense since the Moors were in Iberia and the Ottomans were in the Balkans which made these people seem more exotic than standard white people. If Italians are called Wog along with them then thats a mistake on whoever decided to start that in the first place. Maybe that person/persons only saw Italians from Sicily or whatever the case may be and wrongly assumed thats what most Italians look like but its a mistake. Italians look no different from anglo saxons, germans, irish and other similar ethnicities that are considered typical white people. I can bet that you wouldnt be able to tell the difference
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe