Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 09:30 PM

62,032 posts, read 87,741,405 times

Advertisements

BTW: can you define Eastern European countries, OP? Because none you listed are EE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2020, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Haha, good point! OP, how are your language-learning skills? The Slavic languages and/or Hungarian will really challenge you. Well, so would Romanian, for that matter. I hope you like grammar.
Another question to OP: did you ever visit any of those countries, or anywhere in Europe?

Old 07-10-2020, 09:36 PM

2,707 posts, read 1,039,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Haha, good point! OP, how are your language-learning skills? The Slavic languages and/or Hungarian will really challenge you. Well, so would Romanian, for that matter. I hope you like grammar.
I can learn I know bits of German and Spanish but if I put my mind to it I can learn
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
BTW: can you define Eastern European countries, OP? Because none that you listed are EE.
I considered Poland,Hungary,Austria eastern Europe I may be wrong so are those Central Europe? I might also be interested in the Baltic countries but I am not really sure. I would want fairly conservative place full of culture, prefer a cooler climate most of the year, living in the South in the US I hate summer time heat of 90 plus days, mountains would be awesome but definitely not flat nothingness. I don't want a HUGE city but one where while I learn the language of the country I can get along with speaking English.

Old 07-10-2020, 09:37 PM

2,707 posts, read 1,039,043 times
Quote:
Another question to OP: did you ever visit any of those countries, or anywhere in Europe?
No have never been out of the US. I wish I could afford it because I definitely would have. Just going based on what I have read and seen on TV etc. I follow politics and history shows and also shows about culture so mostly interested in the more conservative places in Europe.

Old 07-10-2020, 09:38 PM

Austria - Eastern Europe??? OMG! You have a LOT to learn.

Old 07-10-2020, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriotic Dissent View Post
No have never been out of the US. I wish I could afford it because I definitely would have. Just going based on what I have read and seen on TV etc. I follow politics and history shows and also shows about culture so mostly interested in the more conservative places in Europe.
So your knowledge about Eastern European Austria is solely based on tv? What channels???

Old 07-10-2020, 10:13 PM

6,879 posts, read 4,331,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriotic Dissent View Post

I don't know why you think at age 50 you could still adapt to a totally different culture and lifestyle. Those are places where being there and being 'from' there are very different things. Imagine small town America on steroids.

I am friends with people who moved back to the former Soviet Union i.e. their ethnic homelands, people who had spent most of their life in Western Europe but speak Russian fluently and know the customs & traditions..but even they feel like outsiders there.

Instead of seeking 'exile' (and it would feel like that) you could always try to help make America a better place to get old in.

Old 07-11-2020, 05:59 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,047,750 times
Just an advice: maybe ask on reddit, the subs of reddit of different countries such as https://reddit.com/bulgaria or htps://reddit.com/croatia etc. This forum is 90% either Americans who haven't visited eastern europe or pro-american western europeans who haven't either, it's not like you can ask the "been there, done that" questions.

Aside from the obvious that Austria isn't eastern europe, even Czechia by today's standards will not fit in. It also depends what you're looking for, if you hate the heat and want big non-boring cities then consider Budapest or Moscow, overall 'the best' in my opinion however will be Croatia or Bulgaria or not just eastern europe since you look for conservative culture a bit downwards to Greece is the same but slightly richer and more expensive.

Old 07-11-2020, 12:01 PM

109 posts, read 87,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
It also depends what you're looking for, if you hate the heat and want big non-boring cities then consider Budapest or Moscow, overall 'the best' in my opinion however will be Croatia or Bulgaria or not just eastern europe since you look for conservative culture a bit downwards to Greece is the same but slightly richer and more expensive.
I'm Bulgarian and to each his own but OP stated he prefers cooler climates and hates summer time heat of 90 plus days. I hate those too, so as a Bulgarian both Croatia and Bulgaria are out as they get too hot in summer (too many days above 90+ in summers, even here in Sofia), same for Romania (very cold winters plus very hot summers). He'd totally hate summers in Greece as it was 95 degrees today in Athens and it's still early July. Also, it's proven there are more accidents and agression in hot months. Research by Washington Post:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...JoxnA&usqp=CAU

Hungary is amazing, but Budapest summers can be way too hot as well. For this reason and the difficult language I no longer consider it for relocation, but Budapest is a must see for torusim! OP, if you don't mind short winter days and cold, Finland is in the East and is relatively more conservative than Sweden. Poland might be your best option though as it's very conservaive and summers there are not as hot as in Budapest/Hungary. Austria and Slovakia often get heat waves, especially their capitals. Last time I visited Bratislava it was 36 C (96.8 F) and the hotel didn't even had AC, so even Vienna and Bratislava are out. Poland rarely see such high temps.

Old 07-11-2020, 12:30 PM

102,301 posts, read 108,429,936 times
Quote:
Well, 2/3 of his short list is debatable, but Austria definitely isn't in E Europe. But his list makes it obvious what his interest is in, over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe