Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 12:32 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSmithMMXVIII View Post
I'm Bulgarian and to each his own but OP stated he prefers cooler climates and hates summer time heat of 90 plus days. I hate those too, so as a Bulgarian both Croatia and Bulgaria are out as they get too hot in summer (too many days above 90+ in summers, even here in Sofia), same for Romania (very cold winters plus very hot summers). He'd totally hate summers in Greece as it was 95 degrees today in Athens and it's still early July. Also, it's proven there are more accidents and agression in hot months. Research by Washington Post:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...JoxnA&usqp=CAU

Hungary is amazing, but Budapest summers can be way too hot as well. For this reason and the difficult language I no longer consider it for relocation, but Budapest is a must see for torusim! OP, if you don't mind short winter days and cold, Finland is in the East and is relatively more conservative than Sweden. Poland might be your best option though as it's very conservaive and summers there are not as hot as in Budapest/Hungary. Austria and Slovakia often get heat waves, especially their capitals. Last time I visited Bratislava it was 36 C (96.8 F) and the hotel didn't even had AC, so even Vienna and Bratislava are out. Poland rarely see such high temps.
Hot summers in Romania? I've never experienced that, having spent several summers there, though before global warming. But it really depends on the location. Transylvania, and especially the higher elevations, doesn't get hot, except for those freak heat waves that have been affecting much of Europe in the last decade or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2020, 12:50 PM

2,707 posts, read 1,034,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Austria - Eastern Europe??? OMG! You have a LOT to learn.
I am willing to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
So your knowledge about Eastern European Austria is solely based on tv? What channels???
Well I read A LOT and love geography but I am not exactly looking at a map of Europe right now. The news calls those Visegrad countries eastern europe but looking at it now they are clearly Central European

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I don't know why you think at age 50 you could still adapt to a totally different culture and lifestyle. Those are places where being there and being 'from' there are very different things. Imagine small town America on steroids.

I am friends with people who moved back to the former Soviet Union i.e. their ethnic homelands, people who had spent most of their life in Western Europe but speak Russian fluently and know the customs & traditions..but even they feel like outsiders there.

Instead of seeking 'exile' (and it would feel like that) you could always try to help make America a better place to get old in.
I would love to and I have done my part to help America at least in my way of thinking but some things 1 man even 1 family can not change. It's not SUPPOSED to go the way its going but the next 30 years America will change dramatically and I have no interest in being here to witness the downfall of my country. I love being a Southerner in America but even my state sooner than later won't be conservative at this rate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Just an advice: maybe ask on reddit, the subs of reddit of different countries such as https://reddit.com/bulgaria or htps://reddit.com/croatia etc. This forum is 90% either Americans who haven't visited eastern europe or pro-american western europeans who haven't either, it's not like you can ask the "been there, done that" questions.

Aside from the obvious that Austria isn't eastern europe, even Czechia by today's standards will not fit in. It also depends what you're looking for, if you hate the heat and want big non-boring cities then consider Budapest or Moscow, overall 'the best' in my opinion however will be Croatia or Bulgaria or not just eastern europe since you look for conservative culture a bit downwards to Greece is the same but slightly richer and more expensive.
Interesting places to look into thanks for the information!

Old 07-11-2020, 12:57 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,025,201 times
no probs, in any case I know more than anyone about bulgaria lol but it's not easy to say if it's good place to move to as of today: covid cases just skyrocketed and there are anti-government protests since yesterday. Maybe in 2-3 months can say more definitely if the storm passes.

Old 07-11-2020, 01:27 PM

24,597 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Every country will welcome a couple with degrees in a medical field and political science at near retirement age, limited professional experience, probably no authorization to practice said medical skills in whatever country, limited language skills, ..., with open arms.

Old 07-11-2020, 07:39 PM

7,364 posts, read 4,146,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Every country will welcome a couple with degrees in a medical field and political science at near retirement age, limited professional experience, probably no authorization to practice said medical skills in whatever country, limited language skills, ..., with open arms.
There is a lot of truth in the above.

First, figure out your way into the EU.

I would start your search with your own ancestry. Could you get dual citizenship from a member of the EU?

Some countries are easier for dual citizenship than others. For instance, if my husband can claim Italian citizenship by descent. My family, were Poles living in the defunct Austria-Hungarian Empire. There is no way I could claim Polish or Austrian citizenship by descent.

Second, figure out how to pay for it.

You'll need to pay for healthcare - even if the countries provides free healthcare for its citizens, you need to provide your own healthcare. Depending on the country, you'll have to prove you have funds to support yourself - so you will not be a burden on that country.

Third, figure out to have learn the language. You'll have to take a college level language test for citizenship in Poland or Italy and probably other countries too.

Finally, how are you going to support yourself overseas? What licenses or certifications do you need?

Something to think about - Americans are used to foreigners coming here to start a new life. This is not a common experience elsewhere. In other parts of the world, you have several generations going back before you are considered one of them

My husband is a first generation Italian-American who worked in Italy after college, knows his Italian relatives pretty well, and is fluent in Italy and the dialect of Naples. While they would accept him, I am not sure they would ever think of me as anything, but his American wife and an outsider.

I am sure other C-D people would know the social side of Eastern Europe better than me.

There are like-minded people within the USA. Many people are talking about moving to Wyoming or Maine.

Old 07-12-2020, 02:17 AM

On a side note, eastern europe isn't very conservative these days and under "conservative" I mean the political meaning that the word has in America: religious, pro-gun, pro-family, patriotic, hunting or whatever.

The vast majority of the young generation are sort of militant atheists, support lgbt, nationalistic but only in the sense that "we're cool" kind of mentality and not in the imperialistic way that is believing we should take over someone or so + there's still great admiration for other countries. If you want real hardcore conservative mentality consider regions in the world where Islam and Catholicism either grow or are dominant religions.

Old 07-12-2020, 05:07 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,519,582 times
Come back closer to time you want to move. The world changes constantly.

Schengen Agreement makes it difficult to move to Europe. They're wanting to keep Americans out of their healthcare systems and combat raising real estate prices by keeping Americans out.

A few Eastern European countries don't participate in the Schengen Agreement. Look it up on Wikipedia.

Old 07-13-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
On a side note, eastern europe isn't very conservative these days and under "conservative" I mean the political meaning that the word has in America: religious, pro-gun, pro-family, patriotic, hunting or whatever.

The vast majority of the young generation are sort of militant atheists, support lgbt, nationalistic but only in the sense that "we're cool" kind of mentality and not in the imperialistic way that is believing we should take over someone or so + there's still great admiration for other countries. If you want real hardcore conservative mentality consider regions in the world where Islam and Catholicism either grow or are dominant religions.
Thank you. I don't know why in the past, posters have insisted that Romania is predominantly religious or Orthodox or whatever. Most people I knew there were not religious, and they're still alive, as are their non-religious kids, and now--their children's children. I have no idea what the measure of religiosity is in Romania, but apparently there have been polls of some sort. I don't find them believable.

Old 07-13-2020, 12:23 PM

Yeah I don't know either, I'm pretty sure the "lebanese level" of christian belief is unseen in Eastern Europe and here is one polling (very old - 11 years...) which shows some tendencies:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Import...ion_by_country

From what I can see Estonia holds the palm, Czechia as expected is at the top and three former commie countries: Cuba, Bulgaria and Russia are also among the least religious, however Romania is on the near-fanatical level on the other side of the spectrum similar to Colombia and Brazil.

Old 07-13-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Yeah I don't know either, I'm pretty sure the "lebanese level" of christian belief is unseen in Eastern Europe and here is one polling (very old - 11 years...) which shows some tendencies:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Import...ion_by_country

From what I can see Estonia holds the palm, Czechia as expected is at the top and three former commie countries: Cuba, Bulgaria and Russia are also among the least religious, however Romania is on the near-fanatical level on the other side of the spectrum similar to Colombia and Brazil.
Interesting, thank you.

I think polling individual opinions doesn't tell the whole story, either. For example, while Scandinavia generally is regarded as not very religious, many more religious holidays are school holidays there, than in the US, which is regarded as highly religious, and baptism is still fairly widely practiced. So much so, that several Scandis on this forum expressed shock and disbelief, when I said I hadn't been baptized, and wasn't interested in religion. And the shock wasn't specifically because me being American, it was unexpected. I was surprised to find out, that baptism is considered "normal" in those countries.

So...go figure. I think Scandis are more religious than they let on. Just because one doesn't attend church, doesn't mean one isn't religious.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 07-13-2020 at 12:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe