Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2023, 03:41 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Sandwiches in a bakery are still a good and cheap lunch in Germany

Lots of bread and potatoes in the German diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2023, 07:44 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,356,657 times
There seem to be a lot of misconceptions about what Americans eat in this discussion. Yes, there is plenty of fast food available, and some do choose to eat it - it is cheap and filling. But that isn't what many/most opt to eat.

Here are some samples of local options from where I live, in the southeastern part of the US. I've eaten at each location, plus many more, that offer more moderate size portions with much higher quality food.

So, sure, you can grab a burger from McDonalds. Or you can have a nice deli sandwich, some wonderful tapas, or some dim sum. It's all up to you.

Old 02-19-2023, 11:09 AM

1,320 posts, read 868,175 times
Portugal (especially outside the major cities) is significantly cheaper than anywhere in the US. We had 4 pork sandwiches, 3 glasses of wine, and 4 coffees for the equivalent of 16 US dollars

Old 02-26-2023, 07:59 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
American fast food portions are vastly different to those in the UK, Europe and many other parts of the world.

After years of reviewing fast food in the US and UK, I'm still shocked by the size differences. Take a look at the most drastic ones. - Insider (February 2023)

Old 02-28-2023, 04:56 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
There seem to be a lot of misconceptions about what Americans eat in this discussion. Yes, there is plenty of fast food available, and some do choose to eat it - it is cheap and filling. But that isn't what many/most opt to eat.

Here are some samples of local options from where I live, in the southeastern part of the US. I've eaten at each location, plus many more, that offer more moderate size portions with much higher quality food.

So, sure, you can grab a burger from McDonalds. Or you can have a nice deli sandwich, some wonderful tapas, or some dim sum. It's all up to you.
Plus there are all the buffet restaurants, some of which offer a variety of Southeast Asian, or South Asian, Chinese, or other ethnic cuisine choices. Also the soup and salad restaurants. There's more variety to American lunches than just sandwiches.

Old 03-06-2023, 01:12 PM

2,299 posts, read 1,521,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
American fast food portions are vastly different to those in the UK, Europe and many other parts of the world.

After years of reviewing fast food in the US and UK, I'm still shocked by the size differences. Take a look at the most drastic ones. - Insider (February 2023)
One of our kids’ most “embarrassing “ experiences was when we were in Disneyland and husband went off to buy drinks. Came back with a drink, the size of which we had never seen before, and four straws, insisting we share. The kids were appalled.

Old 03-26-2023, 04:00 AM

6,378 posts, read 5,002,937 times
As of December, I was able to get restaurant meals for ~$1600-2400 Ft. in Hungary ($4-6 USD). I'm guessing Hungary's prices are about average considering all of Europe.

Here in the Bay Area, I'd be hard-pressed to find a meal for under $10 before tax and tip, even in a strip-mall Chinese/Japanese/Mexican restaurant in a working-class area. Though food is a bit pricier here than in the US as a whole, but not by much.

Old 03-26-2023, 04:27 AM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
As of December, I was able to get restaurant meals for ~$1600-2400 Ft. in Hungary ($4-6 USD). I'm guessing Hungary's prices are about average considering all of Europe.

Here in the Bay Area, I'd be hard-pressed to find a meal for under $10 before tax and tip, even in a strip-mall Chinese/Japanese/Mexican restaurant in a working-class area. Though food is a bit pricier here than in the US as a whole, but not by much.
Yeah we took a vacation that included Budapest and it was much cheaper eating out there than in Phoenix. Austria was also considerably cheaper, but Switzerland was more expensive than Phoenix.

The reason most European nations are considerably cheaper now than the USA is because the dollar is high right now compared to the Euro.

Old 03-27-2023, 08:22 AM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Deducting a 20% tip would make it cheaper!

Old 06-11-2023, 03:44 AM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Sandwiches in a bakery are still a good and cheap lunch in Germany
Train station outside of Stuttgart. 2 decent size sandwiches and a small bottle of coke (12 oz maybe) was $9. I was stunned because the sandwiches were great and I thought it was cheap. Place had a Panera bread type vibe to it.

Also consider the lack of tipping in many European countries. You save 10-15% right there even leaving a small tip compared to the USA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe