Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 09:39 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,392,592 times

Advertisements

Can any Europeans tell me how Eurodisney is doing? Is it a major destination for European families or has it bombed? I wondered how well an outdoor theme park would do being situated in a northern country. I always wondered why they didn't put it in a Mediterranean area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 07:24 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,366,921 times
A northern country???
Euro Disney is in Paris,France which is not a part of northern Europe.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:40 AM

650 posts, read 1,207,616 times
Paris does have a mixed climate--scorcher summers, cold in winter, but that actually makes Christmas there more enjoyable I think ....less surreal I think than spending Christmas in the tropics; I wouldn't like that.

We love 'Disneyland Paris' (as it's called after being rebranded), and we go every year but still haven't seen/done everything. They have a full schedule year round to bring folks in for seasonal holidays, and whenever we've gone, summer or Christmas or Halloween, it's been packed.

That said, I don't know what their financial status is. I do recall reading somewhere that they expected to lose money for several years, recouping the costs of building and becoming established.

There's always a Disneyland Paris poster or two in the travel agents' windows, all year long. And, they make things easy for families, by offering package trips with transportation, hotel, meals, and park tickets all included, which is very tempting to tired parents! Once the day arrives, we can simply sit back and relax, and have a whole lot of fun.

So, it certainly seems to be doing fine.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:23 AM

808 posts, read 3,651,444 times
When I was in Paris almost exactly a year ago, a waiter at a restaurant told me that the "only three things there are to do in Paris" were "Eiffel Tower, Louvre, and Disneyland Paris."

Obviously, the locals love it, if they put it in a list with the Eiffel Tower and the Louvre.

For the record, I found many more things to do in Paris...and I did not go to Disneyland.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awecelot View Post
a waiter at a restaurant told me that the "only three things there are to do in Paris" were "Eiffel Tower, Louvre, and Disneyland Paris."
Wow, doesn't he do a great job of promoting his city .

You're SO right about Paris! You could spend weeks there just enjoying cuisine...or exploring all the wonderful city parks they have. If you love history (I love history) you could go mad with joy and what-to-do-first. It's an amazing place, I think, even the 'touristy' things to do like the night cruise of the Seine is wonderful.

One of the best things about Disneyland Paris is:
"Behave yourself in this spooky old cathedral, kids--you DO want to go to Disneyland tomorrow, don't you??"
Evil, I know...but it so works!

Old 06-23-2008, 11:00 AM

808 posts, read 3,651,444 times
I absolutely love Paris...I'm a history nerd, and there's history seemingly around every corner. Plus, one of my favorite periods of history to study is the French Revolution...which makes Paris all the more enjoyable for me. I had a bit of a laugh to myself when I was told that there were only three things to do in Paris.

And I wouldn't trade one night cruise on the Seine for a season pass to any Disneyland. Perhaps that is because I am American, so when I go to Europe, I want to do and see things that I cannot see or do in the United States.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:08 AM

521 posts, read 1,474,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
A northern country???
Euro Disney is in Paris,France which is not a part of northern Europe.
Well that's true but it misses the posters point. Whilst the south of France has great weather, Paris is actually close to London and shares the same climate. I doubt anybody on this board would consider London to have a fantastic climate!

I've never been (no kids) but I know many people who go for a short break with the rug rats. They generally prefer going to Orlando though and I've heard rumours that that all is not well financially.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie Bar View Post
Whilst the south of France has great weather, Paris is actually close to London and shares the same climate.
Your name always makes me hungry. Stupid diet.

I'm sure Paris is always warmer in the summer than London -- and far drier -- in my experience at least. I can wear shorts or a sundress outside in France, which I've rarely experienced in London or at home!

It's true Paris can't offer tourists the Mediterranean weather, but it does have several airports, a huge population, and excellent public transportation (Disneyland has its own commuter train stop for daytrips from the city) and of course it has itself to offer... when we book a DP trip, we know we can hop on the train and spend a day in a wonderful, magical city. Toulouse, Nice, Marseille, etc. are nice places to visit too, but they just aren't ... Paris. And speaking of population bases, London is just a few hours' train or ferry crossing away, too: those two cities account for LOTS of kids. So I'm not surprised at the location.

Old 06-23-2008, 03:22 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,366,921 times
Quote:
Well that's true but it misses the posters point. Whilst the south of France has great weather, Paris is actually close to London and shares the same climate. I doubt anybody on this board would consider London to have a fantastic climate!
Paris doesn´t have the climate of Scandinavia either.
And France is still not in northern Europe.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:17 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,695,767 times
Quote:

I've never been (no kids) but I know many people who go for a short break with the rug rats. They generally prefer going to Orlando though and I've heard rumours that that all is not well financially.
have you ever been to Paris in the summer? It's much hotter than London and less humid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe