Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 05:56 PM

30 posts, read 49,714 times

Advertisements

My fiancée and I have been going back and forth on where to move and eventually settle down. We've lived in a few different states in the U.S. and are considering Wyoming or Maine (we lived in Wyoming for 4 years), but I can't seem to shake the feeling that the Czech Republic will ultimately make us happier. I spent a year as a student in Brno and fell in love with the Czech Republic, and we've traveled to the country several times since. The landscape, the people, the history, the culture, we love it all. We are both attracted to small town/village life and living in a tight knit community, and the Czech Republic seems to offer much more of what we're looking for in that regard than the U.S.

Unfortunately, I'm all too familiar with the hellish bureaucracy of immigrating to any EU country. Fortunately, we have a friend in the Czech Republic who is willing to help us out. Our plan is to apply for a trade license (Živnostenský List) to get our feet in the door initially. I also have the option of doing another master's degree in the Czech Republic to give us more time to further explore our options.

Anyway, I wanted to see if anyone on City-Data has any experience immigrating to the Czech Republic from a non-EU country. Although I studied there for a year, most of my interactions were with students—many of them international—so it isn't very representative of the country. I've spent maybe a month collectively in a handful of villages around Sumava National Park, but I'm curious to see if any non-EU folks have been successful at establishing themselves in areas outside of Prague.

Last edited by SkepticalHermit; 12-27-2017 at 05:57 PM.. Reason: Title change
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 02:28 PM

412 posts, read 304,231 times
Hi man, big factor is if you and your wife can find a solid job. IMO you will always feel like a stranger in these rural areas if your czech language are not close to native speaker level . I am from Slovakia and ive spent summers in Czechia, it felt like home because there was no language barrier. In Hungary, i am lost BTW very interesting to see us citizens attracted to settling down here

Old 01-07-2018, 08:27 PM

1,026 posts, read 748,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cent0089 View Post
Hi man, big factor is if you and your wife can find a solid job. IMO you will always feel like a stranger in these rural areas if your czech language are not close to native speaker level . I am from Slovakia and ive spent summers in Czechia, it felt like home because there was no language barrier. In Hungary, i am lost BTW very interesting to see us citizens attracted to settling down here
They are not the only ones. Family heritage is czech. Being born in the U.S. I really don't even no how to call the area. beginning my studies though.

Can anyone write about your part of the world ?

Old 01-12-2018, 11:36 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,360,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cent0089 View Post
I was interested in Czechia too One of the most interesting countries in Europe imo, would love to visit one day, maybe even live there

Old 01-12-2018, 11:57 AM

131,002 posts, read 12,235,975 times
Having fun while at college is not the same as the day to day grind of everyday life. Do you both speak the language? If you can get a job there go for it, but the grass is not always greener on the other side.

Old 01-12-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Having fun while at college is not the same as the day to day grind of everyday life. Do you both speak the language? If you can get a job there go for it, but the grass is not always greener on the other side.
Czechia just seems like a nice country; safe and on the rise

Old 01-12-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Czechia just seems like a nice country; safe and on the rise
But unless a person is independently wealthy, they need a job to keep a roof over their heads & food on the table.

Old 01-12-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
But unless a person is independently wealthy, they need a job to keep a roof over their heads & food on the table.
Average incomes there are about $1000/month. Not great, but not bad either

Old 01-12-2018, 04:54 PM

That is probably fine for the area, but it would be hard to find a job, unless a person speaks the language???

Old 01-12-2018, 05:17 PM

30 posts, read 49,714 times
Finding work in Prague, Brno, Pilsen, etc. isn't much of an issue as there is enough work available for native English speakers to pay the bills. However, rural areas are a completely different story. We may try to find a place near Bruno initially since I'm familiar with it and there are work opportunities, and eventually find a village we like and make the transition. A trade license (Živnostenský list), which we are in the process of applying for, will allow both of us to work as independent contractors for schools/language centers and give private lessons. I have a CELTA and have a couple of years of experience, so I'm not too worried about work. Also, she makes a small income online with freelance work. This seems to be our best option until we are able/ready to apply for permanent residency.

I speak German at a B2 level (which really helped in places near Sumava around the border) and speak enough czech to hold a very basic conversation, order food, etc. Of course, we would never even consider moving to a place without being completely dedicated to learning the language and assimilating as much as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe