Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 03:45 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,877,240 times

Advertisements

...and there is quite a boom in new construction, but I find rather less than in Spain, for instance.
On the other hand, there is a boom in homeless people.
In France the thema of overpopulation is taboo, some politicians even say openly that the aim is 100 million Frenchmen in the future ...they are nuts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 03:57 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,615,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
These data are wrong, Spain growth (due at the huge immigration since the last decade) is clearly underrestimed (46 million in 2009).

We don't have enouth minorities to have the majority of kids from ethnic minority as any european country.
Of course a quite large part are non white due at our big minorities and the large interracial mixing.
In France don't have ethnic data.
We know that 20% of kids born in 2008 have at least a foreigner parent but this include european immigrant and don't include non white french.

PS : To break the myth, there is no concept of "ethnic french", the people that use this term confuse it with white french and a really signifiant part of the white french population have foreign roots. (we speak of foreign root for people that have at least a grand parent immigrant)

No need to get defensive. I was simply asking a question as to how France was evolving as a nation.

The truth is there is such a thing as "Ethnic French" and I was asking weither these birth rates were making France more diverse or not. Weither it is or not has no bearing on me except out of curiousity.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:22 PM

1,327 posts, read 2,607,062 times
How you difined ethnic french, who is ethnic french according and who is not, when you seriouly think of this, you see that it is difficult.
Immigration in France is a way older than the north african or portuguese after the WW2.

So the better term are white french, black french, arab or north african french, east asian french, south asian french....
You just don't use the term french when they don't have the nationality.
For your question, yes the kids born made France more diverse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
In France the thema of overpopulation is taboo, some politicians even say openly that the aim is 100 million Frenchmen in the future ...they are nuts!
France could easely have over 100 million inhbaitants, it is one least densely populated country in western Europe.
There is a lot of empty space unlike country like Neetherlands or UK.

With 100 million inhabitants; France would be less densely populated than Germany.
So I am sorry but I don't see any propblem of overpopulation, the probleme is more the lack of housing in construction due at conversative urban law in many municipalities.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
How you difined ethnic french, who is ethnic french according and who is not, when you seriouly think of this, you see that it is difficult.
Immigration in France is a way older than the north african or portuguese after the WW2.

So the better term are white french, black french, arab or north african french, east asian french, south asian french....
Okay, well then what in your opinion is the breakdown btw Black/Asian/Arab/White french?

Old 08-27-2009, 05:33 PM

1,327 posts, read 2,607,062 times
If you want my opinion, I think that well over 20% of kids born in metropolitan France are non white.
Anyway the ratio change a lot depending the region, it is close to 0% in the rural area of western France and it is the majority in Paris metropolitan area.
Paris metro account for 25% of kids born in metropolitan France.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:50 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,411,851 times
Quote:

I don't believe those terms are better. The "white French" are the indigenous peoples of the country. The indigenous peoples of France are a mixture of Celtic and Latin peoples. These peoples would be the "ethnic French" even though they are not one ethnic group. The word "French" should describe only these peoples when it comes to ethnicity. In the case of non-indigenous peoples like North Africans or East Asians, the word "French" should only describe these peoples if they are citizens of France. I don't want to sound racist but I don't like referring to groups like East Asians as "French" because they're not indigenous to the country. I'm pretty sure ethnic Japanese would not refer to groups like Peruvians or British in Japan as "Japanese" even if they're citizens of the country. It's a way to preserve identity. I'm an American and I'm one-quarter French. When I say I'm one-quarter "French", I'm descended from indigenous peoples, not Africans or Asians. When I think of the French, I'm thinking about the indigenous inhabitants. I don't think of Turkish people when I think of countries like China or Mexico. Who would do that?

Old 08-28-2009, 01:34 AM

321 posts, read 960,740 times
Well, France does, for one thing. That's why ethnic statistics are forbidden. Nobody is calling Isabelle Adjani Algerian and nobody is calling Nicolas Sarkozy Hungarian. They are both French.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:25 AM

/\ Some have speculated that has lead to a situation where French employers and institutions can cladestinley discriminate against "Non Blue Blance Rouge". Cause after all, who can prove it, right?

Old 08-28-2009, 02:42 AM

2,735 posts, read 2,464,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
its the same as here, people with money dont have the kids the immigrants do.
last i heard birthrate for french girls was low.

I don`t have the exact data, but working french couples -middle class- have more children than say german working couples. It`s because the french governemt pays you more money after the 2nd, then after 3rd child.
Also, parents don`t have more options with daycare for their children.
So to assume that only immigrants have lots of children is just wrong. The conditions for middle class people to have more children- and more than just one or two- are just better than in other european countries, that also have a big percentage of immigrants (look at Germany). But France has a fertility rate of 1,98 and Germany only of 1,34, so immigrants cannot be the main cause for the high fertility rate.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:55 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,877,240 times
France could easely have over 100 million inhbaitants, it is one least densely populated country in western Europe.
There is a lot of empty space unlike country like Neetherlands or UK.

You are right, having empty spaces is very bad, it's necessary to fill them with humanity , didn't the Bible say "Grow and multiply"? by this token, 100 million and Germany's density is not much, wouldn't be better if France had 200 million inhabitants and Netherland's density...Netherlands is a nice country after all...
Overpopulation of course is not a problem, who said that ? 12 billion inhabitants on the Planet in 2050 (12X the number in 1900), that's not so much ...very good for the environment too...and Europe now is underpopulated, with only half a billion, we should be at least 2 billions...so now I'm going back to the loon bin, thank you for your very interesting opinion, minatu ko.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe