Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 04:07 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times

Advertisements

I hope this growth will not realise itself as personally one of the great charms of France is how empty the countryside and Provinces feel compared to the cities... I would personally much prefer a much less dense population.

The Planet cannot really take many more humans before it simply breaks down. Especially with our rapacious and greedy lifestyles taking so many resources we don't even really need....

Population control has got to be one of our main aim all over the world, especially in the developed and developing countries or it will be curtains for us even sooner than predicted...

Environmetally speaking any population growth is a disaster.

Purely from a selfish point of view I want France to remain less cluttered than Holland or the UK for example. I love the empty open spaces and sense of solitude and peacefulness one can experience in France. It is far easier to lose yourself in it than in England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 04:22 AM

1,327 posts, read 2,604,630 times
For having the density of England, France should have over 210 million inhabitants (if it happen we will be dead since centuries).
So with 100 million inhabitants, France would still be very empty in many part.
Anyway execpt if we have a very high growth (big increase of immigration), it is not happen before our (or my, because I still very young) death.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:42 AM

2,735 posts, read 2,462,737 times
Overpopulation will be a problem until ca. 2050, after that Worlds population will be declining again. Mainly because third worlds fertility rates have been declining in faster pace than industrials fertility rates. All the reasons that led to the decline of fertiliy rates in the Western World (education, health care,stability,social security...), will lead to a decline of the worlds population.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:57 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
For having the density of England, France should have over 210 million inhabitants (if it happen we will be dead since centuries).
So with 100 million inhabitants, France would still be very empty in many part.
Anyway execpt if we have a very high growth (big increase of immigration), it is not happen before our (or my, because I still very young) death.
I know but I like it as it is. Touring around France, off the main roads is like going back in time 3o years. Peace, quiet and loveliness.

England where I now live is so incredibly dense in places, it feels quite claustrophobic.

I must admit I also do not like the idea of the pressure on Natural resources with figures like those. We now all drive, all use imported foods, clothes, goods etc..

I don't think the Planet can take much more waste of oil, metals, water etc.. It also would mean from a Town Planning and infrastructure point of view a lot more facilities like roads , housing and commercial developments and that is to me the death knoll of our Earth...

Time to realise the Earth has limits.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:07 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
So, according to many of the thoughts here, the essence of being French is what side of a line on a map you were born on.

The pride you all must have.

ABQConvict

Old 08-28-2009, 12:08 PM

321 posts, read 960,236 times
I never understand why Americans (just one example) say they are 'Italian' or 'Polish' for endless generations. Do they feel such a lack of identity as just 'Americans'?

Old 08-28-2009, 06:17 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerouac2 View Post
I never understand why Americans (just one example) say they are 'Italian' or 'Polish' for endless generations. Do they feel such a lack of identity as just 'Americans'?
Americans tend to identity with both their nationality(American) and their ethnic heritage. I do the same. I'm an American of Scandinavian and French descent. I could also call myself a "Scandinavian American" and a "French American".

Old 08-29-2009, 05:29 AM

321 posts, read 960,236 times
My American (paternal) great grandparents, all four of them (dead long before I was born), were of Swiss origin but my grandparents had absorbed about 0% of their ancestry, and I can't think of a reference to anything Swiss ever mentioned in their entire lives. For this reason, I have never felt the slightest tingle of Swiss heritage.

My mother, on the other hand, is 'French-from-France', and she brought me up to understand the importance of French culture, food, language, etc. Even if I had never set foot in France, I would have felt French.

I still think there must be some sort of weird American inferiority complex (even weirder when you consider the fact the nobody contests that the United States is the #1 country in the world until it has to pass the torch to China or India in about 20 years). I have noticed, that French black people (except for 1st generation immigrants) consider themselves to be totally French, albeit usually 'from' the West Indies. But if they were born and raised in Alsace or Burgundy or Brittany, they consider themselves to be total natives of those regions and have never gone looking for traces of from which African country their ancestors came -- they don't care. Meanwhile, a lot of African-Americans seem to have felt a need to dig back to African culture, as though American culture just isn't enough. However, I feel that this is a reaction to 'European-Americans' who are always bragging of their origins for some reason, because everybody has to prove that they are 'more than just American.'

Old 08-29-2009, 12:11 PM

221 posts, read 535,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
France could easely have over 100 million inhbaitants, it is one least densely populated country in western Europe.
There is a lot of empty space unlike country like Neetherlands or UK.

You are right, having empty spaces is very bad, it's necessary to fill them with humanity , didn't the Bible say "Grow and multiply"?
none of this **** here, please..

europe could house a lot more people than it does today, and so could the US.. not having many people isnt bad. in fact, it's good.

all countries with many people today seem to be poor as heck, while all the small countries seem to enjoy the richest living standards.

if you take everything you read in the bible seriously, i must say that i pity you. if you want, i can tell you some other crap that the bible says.. what a messed up book. it disgusts me.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:28 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,913,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City of Rain View Post
none of this **** here, please..

europe could house a lot more people than it does today, and so could the US.. not having many people isnt bad. in fact, it's good.

all countries with many people today seem to be poor as heck, while all the small countries seem to enjoy the richest living standards.

if you take everything you read in the bible seriously, i must say that i pity you. if you want, i can tell you some other crap that the bible says.. what a messed up book. it disgusts me.
At first there seems to be a correlation between poverty and population density but there are too many exceptions. The Netherlands is quite dense yet very affluent. Places like Japan, south Korea and Taiwan are very dense and the people enjoy peaceful and prosperous lives. If you want to just look at population: Of course there's large poor countries like Bangladesh but there's also places like the U.S. or Germany. And small poor countries like the Central African Republic.

Obviously it's more difficult to have everyone at a certain standard of living when there's large numbers but it isn't the only factor. All I'm saying is that if the Dutch can be successful with a high population density than so could French. Not saying that they should.

Also, why do you, unprovoked, attack the holy book over a billion people? Perhaps that rant would be more appropriate in the philosophy and religion forum...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe